mothers, any special training?

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by draketimer, Sep 19, 2012.

1. should i jus let my mothers grow normal or should I try cropping them and bushing them out? Also wat do i do if they start geting to big ahead of time, do they eventually end up with huge fat base stems and tiny branches since u keep taking them off as clones lol

in that case wud it be important to make new mothers every like 2-3 years?

2. #2 Jellyman, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2012
    The act of taking cuttings is passive training that causes the mother to become bushier. Every time you take a clone, you are topping that part of the mother and causing shoots below the cut to grow faster. If you need more shoots available asap, however, you may want to actively train the plant in order to increase bushiness as fast as possible.

You can use vegetative pruning and root pruning to keep the mother about as small as you want. As she gets older, it becomes increasingly difficult and requires more and more skill to keep a mother small and healthy. Eventually you'll reach a point where it's easier to just replace the mother with one of her clones and start fresh. With any precious genetics, you should keep an unflowered clone on hand just in case the mother develops a serious problem. I take one extra clone every growing cycle for this purpose. It gets replaced with a new clone and flowered each time I start a new set of plants.

The trunk will indeed get larger and larger over time. Besides replacing the mother with a clone, there's also the option of splitting her to deal with this constant size increase. For more info, Google "Bonsai" and read the parts about splitting the plant.

How long you can keep a mother plant at the size you want greatly depends on your skill with mothers and bonsai techniques.

Good luck

3. root pruning, and reburying her a little bit deeper... to much main stem makes her not a space friendly girl.

4. im gonna need to look into root pruning techniques for sure, and wat tear off the lowest branches when lowering her down more?

5. don't tear... try sterile razor.

Cannabis is one of the few plants that will turn old stem into a place for new roots too... so new soil and top dressing are great options at this time.

All soil plants should have mulch throughout a grow too, UV lights kills postive bacteria

6. this is great.. I have the same plans for my plant... any ideas what to do with my mother would be great help... I've never cloned before :s

forum.grasscity.com/indoor-marijuana-growing/1101964-more-than-30000-lumens-one-plant-i-want-use-mother-2.html