Motherboard to make Christmas Yet!

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Vee, Dec 22, 2011.

1. I'm in the process of updating my computer, when I flicked the power on thru to the motherboard just as I was replacing the jumper on the 'clear c-mos jumper' PoooF!!! a bit of blue smoke blew up....is the motherboard dead?
    I'm to Fucked up about it to try just now, so I'm on the stew
    The motherboard is or was an asus m5a88-m, I've been waiting months for this upgrade, man I'm so pissed, but if I can recover this sucker, it may make my Christmas yet

many thanks in adavance

"V"

2. Ouch, the motherboard could be fried. Only way to know is to test it out, see if you can re-flash the BIOS if it won't boot, etc.

In the future, only use jumpers to clear CMOS in an emergency situation. Such a pain. For something like your upgrade, if it was really necessary then it would've been better to use the option in the BIOS to reset to default settings. This is the modern age man, jumpers need to be messed with less and less all the time :D

3. #3 Zylark, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2011
    But when it is necessary, one not only makes sure the computer is off and the PSU is turned off. One also disconnect the PSU from the mains by yanking out the power-cable in addition to disconnecting all external equiptment that may use low-voltage as a carrier for its signal _and_ have its own power-supply. Such as displays, external hard-disks, speakers/amps and so on. Also, discharge any static-electricity you may carry by always keeping one hand (or at least some of your skin) on the (metal) case whilst fiddling about with the delicate electronics inside your computer. Especially important if you got a cat and/or thick carpets.

...and if you do have a cat, feed it with its favourite food just before opening up your computer. It ensures no paws suddenly appear out of nowhere, wanting to "help".

4. Yeah Dude..! I love pussy, its sits on a footstool as I'm writing to you now, it can never understand why I spend so much time on this machine than on her, but then again she knows where to find me....lol
    I've recovered some..what, and will proceed with the upgrade today.
    I am aware of the dangers of static electricity, and as to the cause of this incident, I was getting an incidental bios message saying that as the case was opened the motherboard / pc will shut down, I was looking for the case opened jumper and have yet to locate it, I suspect it can be switched in the bios itself, but it shut down before I could switch it off.
    I thought I could clear the c-mos and do another boot, but my finger was on the psu switch, and yes power was flowing when I cleared the c-mos.

HASTE MAKES WASTE

"V"

5. UPDATE:
    I got a new motherboard, installed all, and up and running with win 7 ult. amd 4100 4 core cpu, 4 gb ram,(will upgrade later), and a tiny 1Tb hard drive.

Biggest mistake so far is buying a new router/modem thingy,...it's Cisco and it's total CR@P
    but other than that.....it's great!!!!!
    Upgraded for Skyrim....is there a better excuse....???

thanks guys for your help

peace
    "V"

6. Umm, Battlefield 3?!

Why I upgraded at least :p

7. I hav'nt upgraded the PC in over 10 years so was getting outdated really fast,
    now I can play the latest games ..yes! including BF3

peace
    "V"