Mother plants do i top or fim?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ram0120, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Aloha quick question I am starting a couple of mother plant from seed and I have them around 2 weeks after sprouting from seed exodus cheese and kalashnakova. I am prepping these ladies to be the cornerstone of my stables. I was wondering if i need to top or fim them in order to get more branches ie: more clones..
    let me know Mahalo!

2. I topped mine and got great results

3. I would also go with topping if you're going to use it as a mother anyways it should branch out fairly well the fim technique always seems to create a week branches for me

4. I've never thought about it...but now that you raise the question it's a good one. I would also go with topping, the more branches to take clones from the better

5. Do some LST, the more branches the better if youre trying to clone.

6. Fimming is really just a double topping all at once. So you will get 4 colas if done right, rather than the two you would get from topping.

I would think topping not only the main cola but some of the other main shoots would increase the number of cuttings you can take.

LST wont increase the number of cuttings you can take, but it might allow them to grow out faster and better for cloning.

7. Thanks everyone fabulous ideas nice to know im not alone in my quest.
    What would be the earliest one would start topping?
    like i said my sprouts are around 2 weeks and have maybe 4 leaves and are starting to really flourish.

8. I would definitely give them a few weeks of vegetative growth first so maybe about 3 to 4 weeks from now

9. I also look for the nodes to start alternating before I top. Its really about how tall you want it before you slow it down.

Here is a pick of a fimmed plant I did a couple years ago...

Attached Files:

10. #10 Tee Jay 11, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Yeah it depends on how tall you want it if you are starting from clone then you will see the nodes alternate earlier because the plant was already in the flowering stages of growth but being that you're starting from seed you won't see that happen untill they are older so I would top it before it alternates unless you want it to branch out after it's already too tall

11. I see no reason why LST wont help. It allows for more sun, which promotes new growth, which would sooner allow for more cuttable branches.

12. Nice, I love the idea, seems like topping is the way to go, the pics of your 2 year old plant is exactly the size im aspiring to achieve. Nice short and bushy...
    i will transplant to 3 gallon container 1st of next week. and top a week or 2 after that.
    Just to understand topping i just take the top shoots and clip them to the next set of leaves. therefore i will get 4 shoots instead of 2, just like when i top during flower to incorporate more top buds... Correct?