Mother plant best to take from seed?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ram0120, May 1, 2011.

1. Does it make a difference if i keep a mother from seed or a cutting? ive heard different modes of thought. Will the plant be any stronger, better, or any plus sides to keeping it in seed.
    Mahalos for all the help!

2. its not good to clone off of clones best to start with seed.

3. It doesn't make a difference when the plant matures whether the plant was from seed or clone. Clones of clones have been successfully taken for many years without issues.

4. This.

5. well what i have always thought and sum times heard that the thc will degrade maybe not off the first gen clone but if u keep cloning off of clones that u took off a clone it will soon get lower thc levels am i right?

6. I'm not exactly sure but while I was standing in line at the collective on 4/20 I was talking with a grower and he said that you can do it till like the 3rd gen or 4th gen... he called it like c1, c2, c3... c1 would be a clone from the mother and then c2 would be a clone from the clone, so on so forth...

He said that he has seen strains go up to c20 and still flower and produce solid weight and potency.

Now weather or not this guy was just baked out of his mind is another question.

7. i would rather just start from seed just buy a fem seed and there u go u already will know u got a female.

8. Yea that's true... All I can find around here are clones... Do I just have to buy some schwag to get seeds or what?

9. #9 josephspare21, May 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2011

order sum off of Feminized Seeds its sorted by lowest fem seeds to highst now just cuz it costs alot or is just sum str8 kill of the kill bud most of the time the bomber it is the smaller it yields i did sum blue venom the bud was fucken amazing but it didn't yield shit alil over oz and my trainwreck had colas literary the size of my arm and from my elbow to my finger tips so if u need help picking on e out pm me and i will search as well then i can show u my top pics for yield with bomb smell and kill taste and o ya it is the biggest best seed site and that guaranteed really really stealth its grasscity top pic and its in every high times u can fem seeds as low as 8$ bucks.

10. Well, my plan is to grow out about 15 from seed, take clones from the most desirable ones and finally choose a mother after systematically working out which original produced the best bud.

11. that would be your best bet for sure keep us updated and shoot sum pics when u can get a chance :hello:

12. You guys rock! many mahalos just for you guys banter you answered all my questions.
    Thanks again..

13. I've been using a perpetual clone method for 2 years now. I started with clones from dispensary, cut shoots off before flowering and make more clones. Some of the Kings Master Kush is on the 7th time like that and I can tell you it is exactly the same as each earlier batch. Think of it genetically, you chop off a piece and root it, it is essentially the exact same plant no matter how many times you do it.
    Think about the Sour Diesel plants. As far as I know they are only available from clones, yet the strain has been going for decades now. I have some of those too and they are on the forth round of perpetual cloning, no yield or potency loss at all.
    I'm 53 and been smoking daily since I was 18, just so you know I am a good judge of quality.
    What you are hearing about multiple generations applies more too seeds and letting your plants pollinate each time to get more seeds for next year. That process will degrade in 2-3 generations unless you add some new stock to your pool.
    Good luck whichever route you take!

14. #14 greenbowlpacker, May 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2011
    No thc level will decrease if you keep reveging your plant but some strains are clones only such as green crack and the original cheese. Probably couldn't even count how many times those have been cloned :smoke:

15. Got no prob making a clone a mom. I think it is the best way too. Think about it, You got (for sake of argument) 6 confirmed females in your garden of the same strain. In those 6 plants you will have several phenotypes that make the specific plant unique from its sisters. You get to choose the phenos you want to continue. If you just go off of a seed you will have the strain but maybe not a plant with the best possible traits in that strain.

16. I know of clones that are c25+ and still going.

17. I don't normally post here but I thought I would add something to this thread since it seemed active. The act of cloning anything that is alive (both flora and fauna) whether its a tomato plant or a Marijuana plant will eventually lead to genetic degradation. It varies greatly from plant to plant and organic life form to organic life form ( I can't say about anything but organic, since I have no knowledge of any other life forms). In some species you may start to see signs of degradation in the first cloned generation but in most cases it would probably take many many generations before any mutation or abnormality or deficiency is visible. Obviously things like THC level and potency are the most important thing in question when considering this topic. The only real way to know how fast cloning would degrade your genetics would be to to chemical testing at each generational division and keep logs and document it fully. I can say this for certain, I have seen clone generation x19 and it was a type of northern lights strain crossed with something that I am not certain of. It was very potent and very healthy looking even at the 19th division of genetic material. You may be able to go hundreds of times on certain strains. Some may show massive degradation after just 2-5. You will almost never see any loss at clone generation 1. I would say this is certainly a fine way to get new mothers if you don't feel like dealing with starting from seed again in a perpetual setting. I bet if you cloned humans it would take 1000's of generations to see the kind of genetic drift that would cause us to be unable to procreate and learn or worse have the clones all coming out with like 65 IQ consistently. Man that would be a hand full of very stupid clones to deal with :) It all goes back to how good your science is and in this case we are talking the science of molecular genetics. Don't take my word for it though... Try this link I think Ed always does a good job explaining things even though I do not always agree with his opinions. http://www.cannabisculture.com/v2/articles/2682.html The last section is particularly important to those of you looking for long term cloning. Don't put eggs all in the same basket...

18. Absolutely not. The seed breeders get most of their stock from clones. That is how they keep the genetics pure. I know a fellow that has a fifteen year old momma plant and his cuttings are always healthy and grow great and are still covered with trichomes and loaded with THC just like the first original plant from seed.
    It is not like making a copy of a copy, that is a mistaken analogy. It is like having the original negative of a picture and you keep making new pictures from the negative. Creating pictures does not hurt the negative, and the pictures are all identical because they are from the same negative.
    I am currently growing two strains of 8th generation cuttings (cuttings from cuttings from cuttings...) and it is some of the dankest stinkiest stuff ever. The neighbor two doors down said he can smell my greenhouse and it smells like a female skunk in heat. The fan leaves are covered with trichomes (THC crystals) three inches out on the leaves.  You can hardly see the buds through the trichomes they are so thick.
    The biggest drawback to clones is if you get them from someone else, make certain you check them very closely for pests or fungus before bringing them into your grow room.

19. I'd put all my money on your 6th sentence. NAILED IT!! No need for anything other than that. That'll open some close-mindedness. Thanks :)