Mother Nature

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Oni~, Sep 24, 2015.

1. #1 Oni~, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2015
    How motherly is she actually as understood compared to what constitutes "motherly" in humanity?

Everything in known space kills humans. From radiation, to lack of oxygen, to freezing. Everything out there kills us.

Extreme heats and colds on Earth kill humans like flies. Predators kill over and over as part of their nature. People and animals have been starving, many to death, since the beginning of life. Others got eaten alive as someone else's quest for nourishment.

Considering the fatalistic "nature" of nature, is she motherly or nothing more than a petri dish of survival of the fittest?

2. You have to take it all in.

Planet formation is natural. Supernovas are natural.

Nature is the result of all the sum total.

A super Nova would obliterate the earth, but everything on earth was forged in the nurseries of super Nova remnants.

-Yuri

3. Just a thought, I'm not to poetic but I can say that Mother Nature is pissed.
    There is like 7.8billion people on this planet, Mother Nature is running out of room.
    Come 15 to 20 years later from today, there's going to be around 14billion.
    The term "survival of the fittest" today means, only the rich or people that have a reason to be here will survive. There is nothing we can do as people about the population and we know that we can't feed every one now...So Mother Nature I think will be and has been showing her mood. To many humans so she is going to clean house soon. Unfortunately people have been using the term "time is money"....that term has made money relative to time, meaning...if you don't have any money, you don't exist.

4. I never really like this view point on nature. People use mother nature as a term to describe what they feel is intentional behavior. Mother nature isn't pissed, it is doing what it has always been doing.. existing. People act like when we harm the Earth, it will intentionally harm us back.. or we will reach a point where "mother nature" turns on us, but nature doesn't take any sides. All that will happen as humans continue, is us making environmental conditions worse.. it's not like nature is a conscious being with emotions or even a care in the world.

As for the OP, some mothers are nice and saintly.. some mothers are spiteful, scornful bitches.. and some mothers are absent. I know you're probably thinking of a positive motherly, but motherly doesn't automatically mean something positive. It means it has qualities of a mother.. and that can vary. If you look at mother nature as an actual being of sorts, she can be sweet and caring.. or a heartless and vindictive cunt.. and give no reason for acting either way.. like many human females ;)

5. a- we are children of nature
    B-nature iisn't any more pissed than a mother of a child who didn't clean his room
    C-there is room on earth for 10 times our current population easily

-Yuri

6. From a 3 dimensional perspective Mother Nature can feel very harsh and unforgiving.

7. Inside her womb, what goes in, stays within. Big Mama is cookin' up a climate shifting greenhouse baby, set to overpopulation-sized mass extinction event levels of crazy. Maybe She is tired of having us as babies with so many mouths to feed?

8. #9 zouroff, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2015
    . I will post this, it makes good sense, other then the personification... I see you point I wouldn't say Mother Nature is piss... More like Mother Nature is giving us back what we feed her... Karma... We poison the lakes we drink the lakes... We poison the soil we grow food in our soil... It's more like self destruction when we talk about harming the environment... And with population the more we have the more we consume... Population is definitely a problem in today's age not because of space but the lack of resources....

9. I like this. The part about where we self destruct is spot on.

I should point out, just because those are absolutely true, it does not negate the fact that plenty of nothing but purest nature around us will absolutely murder us.

Space - Can't breathe, will freeze, will get radiated (many other things there that can kill us)
    76% of the planet is water and without major technological adaptations, we cannot live on or under it.
    The poles will absolutely freeze us in seconds
    The deserts will absolutely scorch and parch us
    Bears, Lions, Tigers, Wolves, Snakes, Sharks etc etc will eat us alive
    The main one, extinction level events like the 5 that have already happened, which basically wipe clean whatever a civilization may have accomplished unless they managed to get off the planet first.

So yeah, we are shooting ourselves in the foot absolutely, but just in case we're not, nature seems ready to do it for us. Even to the point of wiping the whole slate clean globally. The only thing keeping us up is scientific and philosophical innovation while managing to outbreed the global death rate.

10. I fully agree with you, if we can't somehow make a impact on the human race as we know it we will cease to exist In the future.... But honestly this planet with out humans will be paradise for Mother Nature.