Mother earth

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Popcorn, May 16, 2019.

1. Hey all going to start my first go at some coco, have any of you used this mother nature coco perlite bag? If you have is there anything that I should know before using this coco? The bag say expertly crafted with amandments so i was not sure since I have seen most coco grows get nutes after a couple days/ a week. Thanks everyone coco is going to be the key i know it. Lol

2. Just giving the thread a bump. I germ some seeds and I have a couple days in paper towels, just want to make sure i start off on the right foot. Also what is the max ppm i could have in tap water and be safe to use?

3. Is there an NPK ratio on the back of the bag by chance? Im really not familiar with amended coco, but i know the youtuber Mr Canucks Grows used coco with organic dry amendments. Definitely check a couple of his vids out if it ends up having a good amount of nutrients in the coco. If the ratio is super low Id probably just measure runoff and feed accordingly

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I love Canucks grows I will check the bag when I get home. What is a low ratio on npk?

5. Preferably nothing (0-0-0) then you feed every watering. Amended coco is a different ballpark really and im unfamiliar with it experience wise. If it does have nutes it will say like 4-4-5 or something like that. a low ratio would be like 1-1-2 or 2-2-2 etc. higher ratios are like GH liquid nutes which some are like 4-4-0 or similar. those are just examples though and it might tell you in percentages

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. After looking at it online i don't see anything that says that it has nutrients in it. Id take some in a pot and test the runoff water. What the ppm/ph is compared to what you put in. if its super high then put a few gallons of ph'd water through with cal mag in it. then do the soak (5.8-6.0ph) and let the coco soak in it for 24hr before planting just to get the cation exchange correct. (basically what allows the coco to hold onto nutrients)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ideally youre going to want to do a DTW coco set up. Drain to waste, watering until 20-30% runoff feeding every time you water. Amended coco is basically like growing in soil and defeats the purpose of being able to feed multiple times a day imo. You cannot overwater in coco, for the most part.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. You are right no amendments just 60/30 coco perlite. What I was reading was the company title it says something like expertly crafted mediums AND amendments. Doooooohhh

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. I've used Mother Earth coco before and found it to be a quality product.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks mick I will be looking for some encouragement on my journal as I conquer this coco adventure. We all know soil is not getting me anywhere. Lol

11. Is it buffered already?

12. I have not checked yet. I find out with a slurry?

13. It would say so on the bag I would imagine. I don't know how you could tell otherwise. Here's a link on how to buffer your coco . It's a all around good site for what you're about to get into.
    I didn't understand what I was getting into when I started. Lol
    There is also pland for a diy automatic watering system on the same site.
    Which is nice to have in coco.

How to Prepare and Buffer Coco Coir

If you want to go deeper into the coco rabbit hole then you can go here alot of it is pretty dense but I prefer the Canna science
    Growing information for cultivating | CANNA Gardening USA

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. After reading the first part on that link I would say yes that all bag ready coco is buffered. I have not went through the whole thing but it says the options are pre buffered coco and dehydrated coco bricks. Thanks for the info man.

15. I would think that it was especially with the perlite being mixed in already.

16. Coco popping up less than 24 hours in the ground. Wooohooo.so how often am I gonna feed and water I get that there the same in coco. And i understand once she is going it will be run off every day maybe 2 but how about for this first week or 2?

17. You are supposed to water coco to runoff everytime. I start in 1/2 gallon then on to the final. Because of this .
    But truthfully I've gotten away with it
    before

18. I'm in one gal smart pots.
    20190520_155454.jpg 20190520_155508.jpg 20190520_155512.jpg

19. Hey. Guys my coco seedling looks yellow am I supposed to add more calmag to the ro water than the 5 ml one the back of bpttle