Mother Earth has the same rights as Humans

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by budsmokn420, Apr 13, 2011.

1. UN document would give 'Mother Earth' same rights as humans

2. Yay!

If only the US would consider something like this (as if that would ever happen)....

3. most retarded idea ive ever heard

4. I would love it if people started to see humans as a part of nature instead of above it.

5. Interesting system! :D

6. Lol so you'd rather destroy the planet and leave humans extinct?

7. sure,if yellowstone erupts we are fucked anyways

8. No comment lol

9. Thank god the actions of the UN are completely ceremonial and totally inconsequential.

10. You probably didn't read past the first few sentences, I thought the same thing at the start of the article.

11. #11 XxGanjaXXGOD, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2011
    and i hate when people get all pissy when im drivin round in my car or my dads truck,yet they drive cars that smoke like a bitch,my dads truck gets better gas mileage then most 1990s cars,so hop off freakin tree huggers,lol
    na i care about the earth,but if we did go extinct earth would return to its real normal

ya i didnt read the whole article

12. The way I see it, we are guests here. Why people feel superior to nature is beyond me...

Ego's, what are you gonna do? ;)

13. THIS QFT.

If this were football it would be the equivalent of having rights for players, and then developing rights for the football field.

Give me a fucking break.

I know this might surprise you but the Earth has been here for billion of years. We've been here for, what, a few thousand? Tens of thousands if you believe in the ancient alien theories and Atlantis/Lemuria?
    We've been here the equivalent of a blank of an eye in terms to how long the Earth has been here.

And if you buy into the idea of a Mother Nature, a conscious organism, do you not think it is wiser than us? You think it has not developed defense mechanisms to abort the mission, so to speak?

What we're actually talking about is the sustainability of humanity, or life in general, on this planet. Don't confuse the two, they are two distinctly different things.
    Living a happy balanced life with all of creation should be the goal, undoubtedly. I don't disagree with that at all.

But, as I've said before, until humans can learn to value his brothers as equals, how is he to be expected to value nature as an equal?

This is a just lame bullshit excuse for the governors of the populace to tighten the leash. So fuck them, I'm not buying into it.

14. It's times like these I wish we had a "dislike" button lol...

*sighs*

To the poster above me, homosapiens have been around for 10s of thousands of years, as supported by scientific evidence. Legends of atlantis state that atlantis existed far after the birth of homo sapiens, not before it.

On to my main point, keep in mind that for the 4.6 billion years earth was here before humans ever came into the equation.

Before we came here, earth didn't have to deal with huge oil spills, nuclear waste being dumped everywhere, nuclear bombs being utilized in war, garbage being dumped everywhere, harmful chemicals being released into the air, whole forests being chopped down, and a species raping everything on its surface for resources.

No other lifeforms were doing any of those things for the 4.6 billion years that we weren't here...

I'm not saying earth is going to die, because I don't think it is, but we are doing a lot more damage than we should be, and we are going to end up really hurting ourselves if we don't stop...

15. mind = blown

not sure what to think of this. It sounds good, but let's not get hasty....

balance cannot be achieved through force. the industrialized military complex needs to disappear, but not our individual rights.

let the people, of all nations, of all classes, be the ones to decide OUR worlds fate, not some "elected" group of "officials".

16. This box is getting smaller, I'm trying to get out :eek:

17. Don't you know guys!? The Illuminati is using this to cram us into tiny concentration camps and forcing us into pagan religions worshipping the earth and this is the very first step!!!! DUN DUN DUN!!!!

18. #18 drsnuggles, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2011
    And? This changes nothing about what I've stated.
    Did you even read my post?
    Our planet has been ravaged by floods, asteroid impacts, volcanic activity, and the like, which has devastated life on many occasions. The planet has been through a lot.
    What would a nuke do? Blow a chunk of it away, create a nuclear winter causing an ice age? This shit has already happened. And oddly enough, we're still here, communicating back and forth over the internet, in our comfy homes, situated here on Earth.
    I'm not arguing that Humans are depleting our resources, killing species, and countless other atrocities. But, you're forgetting that life evolved out of single cell organisms and created the complex forms of live we are today. It took millions of years, but it happened. Evolution is happening whether you're for it or against it.

We aren't going to destroy the planet.

We can destroy ourselves; we can destroy most majority, if not all, of the animal/vegetative kingdoms; we can maim and alter the natural landscape; we can make this planet uninhabitable for years to come.

But this floaty rock which has been here since the beginning isn't going to implode upon itself because we're a bunch of terrible, malicious, greedy bastards.

This has nothing to do with your argument at all.

Perhaps if you had read my post, you'd have realized that you and I are essentially arguing the same point. Maybe this is why there is no 'dislike' button, because it would just get abused by [EDITED: immature individuals] who go on the defensive as soon as they get a little [EDITED: ego-bruised] by other's words.

19. Please leave your negative vibes and energy out of this thread.

There is no need for name calling especially in the spirituality section.

Please act the like adults we are and keep the conversation respectful. If you can't converse without getting offended and resorting to name calling and disrespect than don't post at all.

Thank you.

20. All fear the great and powerful illuminati!!! ;)