Mother Arrested For Giving Child Bong Hit

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Sir Stoner, Mar 13, 2013.

1. #1 Sir Stoner, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2013
    A mother was arrested after police saw a video of her giving her 22-month-old child a hit of marijuana from a bong. Rachelle Braaten, 24, of Centralia, Wash., was shown in the cell phone footage putting the top of the bong to the boy’s mouth. She and the boy’s 25-year-old father Tyler J. Lee were arrested Friday. Police also found 40 marijuana plants in their house along with illegal firearms. When authorities came to her house, she said, “I guess it was a joke and stupid mistake that wasn’t really funny.” Though she doesn’t think it’s funny now, she was laughing hysterically, with a few other people, in the video clip as her son took a hit and coughed. She said her son did not experience any ill-effects from it, but that she felt “horrible” for letting him smoke five months ago. “Because he is two and he shouldn’t have known about that,” Braaten said. “He shouldn’t have that in his body.” In court documents, prosecutors wrote a description of the video. When the boy starts coughing, the people in the room start laughing. “At this point, the other people in the room begin laughing louder and the child looks at the camera taken aback, and the video ends,” they wrote. On Monday, the mother appeared in court. Prosecutors said she should be held for 72 hours, but she was released yesterday on $20,000 bail. At first, Braaten denied it was her in the video but she later admitted to it. She blames the group for pressuring her into giving him the bong. This isn’t her first run-in with the law. In 2011, she was arrested for assaulting a roommate at 2:20 a.m. at her home. Tyler Lee, Braaten’s fiance, said he was a medicinal marijuana user. Child protective services has custody of the boy and has put him into care along with Braaten’s other son, aged 5. On Monday, the boy’s father was released while authorities decide what charges to file against him. Braaten was held in jail for one count of unlawful delivery of a controlled substance to a minor and one count of manufacture of marijuana. She will be charged on Tuesday.

What the fuck is wrong with some
    People? That is fuckin sick as hell, why would anyone do that to a child, giving fucking pot to a 24 month old child should be a 20 year sentence, i feel bad for the poor kid

2. I saw this on the news earlier and it pissed me off. Why would anyone do that? Not to sound insensitive to the child's health (a two year old should not smoke anything, I think we can all agree on that), but this just looks fucking awful for the legalization movement. The anti-marijuana groups are going to see this as gold for their cause, and it honestly is a legitimate cause for concern. I fucking hate irresponsible parents. :mad:

Also, all of the apostrophe's are messed up in your post, it made it pretty difficult to read.

3. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Stupid smokers will ruin the legalization movement.

4. I don't know, a bong hit still way worse than the hell the family will go through thanks to the court proceedings and consequence. Do you know what it's like to be raised by another family CPS finds? they are just now revealing the long term effects on children that has, and let me say it aint pretty. High numbers of rape and abuse, it isn't pretty. Much uglier than a bong rip one may argue.

5. Some people...

I recently moved to Washington and I swear this state has some really fucked up news.

Mass shooting, fucked up murders, baby getting high...wtf

6. J to the R-O-C said it perfectly

7. I agree with everything you said except the statements about the severity of doing something like giving a child a bong hit.

If a person is going to do something like this to a child at such a young age just imagine what they will do when he gets older. Abuse like this is just the beginning and will only get worse with time.

Many people are completely unfit to be parents but most that are are too ignorant to see it.

8. ^ What does that have to do with anything?

The people who are in MJ legal states should be on their toes making sure that they don't do anything to piss anyone off. I don't know if it's the same where you live as it is here, but in Texas a parent has every legal right to let their kid drink alcohol. And I know plenty of them do.

I knew shit like this would happen. I've been on GC and other weed related message boards for almost 10 years now. Every time someone makes a thread like "what would you do if it was legal" there are a million responses that go like "smoke a blunt in front of the police station" "drive around high all day long" and so on...

I promise you that if people go hog wild they will ruin the legalization movement. It'll set it back another half century, and I promise you lawmakers and weed haters are sitting back just waiting for it. Pot smokers need to grow the fuck up and realize that right now we have a grand opportunity to demonstrate that we are no less responsible than any other decent hard-working citizen. That means being extra careful not to look like a douchebag. These morons just made every pot smoker in the country look worse in the eyes of every weed hater out there. Even though it has nothing to do with weed and everything to do with child abuse.

9. It's not stupid smokers, it's stupid people.

They need to be educated on the benefits and harms of marijuana. Of course, giving a bong hit to a child should be an obvious no.

10. Yea... it's more like stupid people are ruining the world.

I agree that this shit makes weed smokers and the culture look bad... but at the same time I think the country is at the point where the average person doesn't think that the average smoker is going to give their child bong hits...

11. #11 Toastin', Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
    Where does it say they gave him a hit? All I see is "put the bong up to his mouth". Maybe I missed it.

Well I read the article but it never says the kid inhaled. But still stupid parents having it near their kids either way.

The anti pot bastards love this one.

12. The weed legalization movement will not be changed by shit like this.

That's like saying alcohol prohibition would have been changed by drunk drivers.

The cats outta the bag. Weed is going to be legal/decriminalized.

13. That's true... I do think that legalization or wide spread decriminalization is inevitable.... But the question is how long will it take. Years? Decades?

And bad publicity just helps slow down the progress.

14. I hypothesize that it will be within the next decade.

I smoked pot in from of the cops in Washington the other day and they just asked if I was driving. They were so fucking cool

15. I think within the next decade we'll probably see another 10 states or so go medicial, maybe another 3 or 4 will go full legalization/decrminilization.

But I still think it'll take decades for the entire country to come around, and even then, unless we have a change in federal law, I think you'll see conservative states battling legalization/decrim for as long as they can.
    Take Oklahoma for example, that's states weed laws are practically draconian. I cant see them legalizing in the next 10 years.

16. But the thing is, the more states that open the door the harder it is to fight. After a while state boards can't hold it back. Laws will become havoc about transportation of pot.

How could you extradite people etc. When its legal in one place and not the other.

The "united states" my white ass.

17. Like tons have said, I just hate that the this can be used for those who're against the legalization of cannabis when this happened due to the stupidity of the mother, not because she was high or smoking weed.

18. Our government will use anything to try to keep marijuana from being legal.

19. #19 Sir Stoner, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2013
    Fucking ikr, every single day on the news theres a new shooting, last night it was a 13 year old in jail for taking a gun and shooting his parents cause he was grounded, and then the guy who killed his grandparents and stole their car after gettig out of jail for burglary, Washington is fucked, ive never honestly felt unsafe here though, except in the seattle ghettos

20. We've got too much freedom.

Take it away so I don't hurt myself or anyone around me, please!

Or, just eliminate stupidity and ignorance.