Mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam...

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by SassyMelassy, Dec 4, 2010.

1. thats cool :)
    i think when you look at that picture, like looking at the world in the grand scheme of things, you realise how insignificant a single person can be...
    im tokin at the moment... so am just a little in awe of the whole universe... and imagine all of those tiny little microscopic forms of life that exist on that dot, and all the variety, and think... how could we be the only ones out there... how can the same thing(big bang) not have happened in another galaxy somewhere.... and knowing what we know about evolution, how different they would be, and would they be intelligent... and how come we are the only species that evolved to higher thinking amongst the thousands of different species there are... hmmm im gonna go look up some more shit like this :p

2. each point of light in this picture is a whole galaxy.

Attached Files:

3. As it was leaving the solar system. Incredible.

There are at least 70 known solar systems in the Milky Way Galaxy.

There are around 10 thousand VISIBLE galaxies.

Incredible.

4. carl sagan is the man.

"Earth is a very small stage in this vast cosmic arena."

5. The numbers are much higher than that my friend :)

- peace, joy, love, and light

6. One of my favorite quotes. It really makes you think and anything that has to do with space automatically receives alot of attention from me.

7. Wow.
    im just astonished.

8. #9 Shanx420, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2010
    Ugh man... So what? What's the point? That's what I find myself saying a lot of the time when people post Carl Sagan stuff. No disrespect, but like, I don't get why this is fascinating. I mean, if you went to elementary school, you should already know this stuff. Of course that's true. Of course we're small, so what?

If it's supposed to be an ego check type of thing, okay, that's cool, but I don't have much of an ego so it doesn't effect me much I guess lol.

I dunno maybe this is just like, old news to me or something, but Carl Sagan's stuff doesn't interest me. I get tired of seeing posts about his shit. It's just poetic science. Science that we should all already know about if you grew up in a developed nation. Like, what delusional reality have you been living in if you ever thought you or the Earth or anything really matters in the grand scheme of things past the age of like 10 lol. I mean, how long have you known terms like 'galaxy' or 'star' even lol. That's how long you should have known you don't matter much.

9. My friend you have much more ego than you think. I wish you luck on your journey.

- peace, joy, love, and light

10. ^^^yeah, what he said.

11. "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."
    - Carl Sagan

If people could find awe so simply as that, none of the Sagan postings would ever be necessary. I see these posts too, but so far it's always been exactly the same one repeated over and over and I can see how that gets frustrating. But I don't take them as a call to feel small and insignificant, I take them as a call to feel oppositely, like everything that's out there is mine to discover. This corner of my mind in which I put all of my knowledge is what is tiny as a grain of sand, and the rest of my mind is sufficient to encompass all of that out there one day.

12. Your making it sound like its personal, a lot of people are interested in these topics and a lot of people need to have this kind of reality check to put things in perspective.

13. And people try and say theres no other life in existence? :laughing:

14. Different people find inspiration in different things.
    I personally find inspiration in finding affirmation in my preexisting beliefs, this being one. I respect the fact that you're not down with Carl Sagan. Me, personally, I wouldn't care who said it. If it touches me in some way, then I have appreciation.

15. #16 Shanx420, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2010
    Alright, alright, I guess I'm the douche of the thread lol.

Sorry, I just don't get blown away by his stuff. I understand though, I can see how it can be fascinating, his stuff just never did it for me. I love space though. I eat up shows like 'The Universe' and stuff because that's science i never heard of before, usually. Sagan's stuff just never struck me as anything other than old news. I understand that our planet is one orbiting one star of probably trillions in our galaxy which is one of trillions of other galaxies and to that I say, so what. Is it interesting? Yes. Do I want to know more? Yes. But it's nothing to awe over, it's just science, which makes perfect sense. What would be weird, is imagining that we could not be perceived as a mote of dust in a sunbeam, because that just doesn't make sense. If you go far enough away from anything, that too will look like a speck of dust. And that makes perfect sense, it could be no other way. I guess i just can't understand the amazement at photos like that. To me, it's like, what else would you expect a satellite taking a picture of Earth from such a great distance to look like? I would expect it to look just like that, therefore I'm not surprised. That's all. But whatever, I'm not trying to argue with people about what is or is not awe inspiring, I'm just saying I don't see why it is, personally. But of course, to each their own, you know, so it's whatever.

Sorry if these posts seem confrontational, I don't mean to offend anyone, ever lol. I'm just speaking my mind.

16. I'm not offended and you're entitled to your opinion. I don't necessarily disagree....

17. this... lol
    i find it inspiring, we only know so much about the world we live in, there is a lot we dont know, sure we know what a galaxy is suppose to look like, its not that that fascinates or excites me, its all the shit we could learn/discover in our galaxy and others.... its the unkown things that we know would make sense, like... if our galaxy has one planet that can harbor life, and there are god knows how many galaxies that are pretty much the same, u know planets revolving around a sun.... then scientifically it would make sense for there to be another planet that could harbor life and all the possibilities that would arise.... and think about all the things that we havnt yet discovered about out planet... so its not so much the photo, being a scientific observation, but its more the idea that comes with it... thats what i think anyway... :smoke:

18. Are we still suspended in the sun stream?