Most yield? (mainlining vs scrog (and/or sog))

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by LinuxOwner, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Hello Blades.

So I was sitting here this morning drinking the Starbucks and wondering about many of the things that I have seen and learned here at GC. More specifically, I wanted to talk yield. Would a few of you who have some experience "weigh in" on the pros/cons and specifically help give some comparisons between the two methods mainlining and scrog.

I've been wanting the discussion as I was under the impression that a scrog grow was exactly what I wanted to do, however after reading posts and viewing pics here at GC, I'm not so sure. Its true that the scrog method will increase yields for those of us (me) with say smaller flower areas (3x3x6) allthough it appears that it comes with a somewhat cumbersome price, you know, all the difficulty that comes with care and cleaning (both hydro and soil or w/e). I am not advocating that mainlining is so much easier as I really dont have the knowledge or experience to make such a claim. As I'm pretty sure most of us are looking to get an optimal harvest of course, could there be such a difference in yield that a person would automatically exclude one method before the other ,given that all variables (tents, plants, lights etc) would be basically the same?

I would really like to hear from everyone opinions on this matter, however anyone who has done both and favors one more than the other I would like you to make it know that you have done both and why you prefer one over the other.

Thanks for your reponses in advance.
    Regards,
    Linux

2. I've not done the mainlining. Mainly because I grow from clones. The internodal spacing is no longer symmetrical, which is what you really want when creating the "manifold".
    Also, I'm not as concerned with getting a few massive colas, as I am with getting a full spread out canopy of 100's of tops.
    So, I don't know what'll yield better. My thinking is; more tops = more yield.

3. Thanks for posting in here man. I always appreciate the feedback of the Vets. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the SCROGs etc will yield more, its just that I was wondering if (for someone like me) who is not OVERLY concerned with the amount of yield if it would not be a little easier running a mainline setup as opposed to the scrog.

Great points about the symetrics and the manifold. I'll keep that in mind too. Prolly that hinders me taking clones too, right?

L8,
    Linux

4. Mainlining would likely make it easier to tend to all portions of a plant. There's areas of my two in flower that I can't get to now. It's just full of plant!
    You should still be able to get some clones off a plant, no matter how you train it. Mature shoots will no longer have symmetrical internodes.
    Mainline seedlings, and scrog your clone grows.
    Do both, brotha!

5. I'm growing 8 clones in a four by four area under a thousand watt HPS with no training and the canopy seems to be filling out nice I'll post a pic when the lights come on

6. Thx Stoner.
    I suspect that you opted to do your setup as a scrog. Hope all works out great for you. I will keep an eye out on your grow, I see you around the forums quite a bit.
    Linux

7. #7 stoner719, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2015
    No screen for me......my thoughts are if my space is full of plant it won't matter if the canopy is not perfect air cooled 1000 watt hps has some good penetration on a 4x4 area just dont think it would be worth it to wait to fill the screen before flipping .....maybe a net for bud support ... I am a new grower this is just the reasoning behind my approach

I consider anything over a pound per light a successful first grow lol

8. I spent 1 month vegging those 8 clones

Attached Files:

9. #9 stoner719, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2015
    Sorry for the sideways picture
    15 days in flower

Attached Files:

10. I love clean setups. I'm impressed, everything looks nice. Keep it up brotha.

I posted this earlier today and was hoping that a few more people would have had some feedback, but I guess there just aren't enough people who are doing mainlining to offer information.. Oh well, who knows? Maybe like Crankz said "Just do both" bahaha. The more that I think about that, the more that I just might do that. Sometimes I forget that I actually do have the capability to do that, LoL.
    I have been reading everyone else's grows for so long while I have buying all my shit, that I have forgot that I actually own a thing or two.

Well, don't let that discourage anyone with mainlining experience from commenting, I still would like the feedback. I wish the man DAN would come post here on this, LoL. Ima have to look him up.

TTYL,
    Linux

11. ive recently started mainling which is better for my space than a scrog as i have autos and photos at different stages in my tent i like mainlining so far cant comment on scrog as havent done a scrog as i like to harvest a plant every few weeks

12. Thanks Dug.

What kind of yields are you getting off those harvests? I mean I know it all varies, but if you had to pick a number, what would you pick? and was the mainlining hard for you to pick up?

Regards,
    Linux

13. i havent harvested a mainline yet got 1 on its 3rd week of flower it has 8 tops but from what i have read it deffo increases yeild the autos i run usually 1-2 oz per plant when my photos are ready for the flip i put them in a dark cupboard for 13 hours means i have autos vegging and flowering photos at diff stages making the most of my 4x4

14. the mainling is easy to pick up the difficult bit is watching them grow then cutting almost everything off lol but it does give you a great amount of control if ya have space issues and does away with popcorn and the symetry looks great an it suits me as like to be quite hands on with my ladies 😆

15. First Manifold

16. Sorry, I wanted to jump in and say I'm working on my first manifold and I'm really enjoying watching the plants and it's teaching me patients for sure. I will be going into flowering in another week or two. One of the biggest downsides would be the added time to the grow cycle from allowing the plants to recover from cutting them down so many times.

Attached Files:

17. Each grower needs to decide on their own how they want to grow. Like assholes we all have opinions. I prefer to scrog. For me that's what works best and yeilds the most.

18. Thanks for the feedback fellas. I'm sure that a scrog would yield more as well, but I was hoping a few of the others would have jumped in and verified that one could yield the same amount using mainlining. Doesn't look like that will be the case here. LoL

Regards,
    Linux

19. I've done one mainline and it does make have an even canopy pretty easy. So this allows more light on top buds. The key is to take your time before the first chop.

I am starting my second mainline now with Blue Dream and Trainwreck. On Sunday they will get their first chop (3 and a half weeks old). I should be able to 4 nodes by then and in a week from there, 8 nodes. Then I let it grow for another ~ 2 week. All up about a 7 week veg, might extend to 8 weeks depending on the size.

20. TTT,

Have you done a scrog yet? and if so, would you say that you get a yield from mainlining which is in the same ball park? Specifically, What I would like to know is if I were to use the mainlining method for its ease of use, would it be such a loss of yield that it isn't worth it?

I understand that every yield will be different etc..... I'm just saying that here at GC, there are certain blades that can almost bank on (for example) a pound yield of 4 plants using a scrog method. I was hoping to score someone who averages a given amount and has seen the mainlining method, tried it and found it to be about the same, more or less. Is someone who normally harvests say 12 ozs and tried mainlining using the same basic variables and only harvested 3 then NO I would not be interested in trying it LoL.

I say all the above...but for the sake of the post which I started I will more than likely do like 3 scrogs, take notes, and then do a mainline method.

Thanks for the feedback,
    Linux