Most influential guitar player of all time

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Axis714, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Who do you think has influenced more guitar players than any other player in history.
    In other words, What guitar player has left the biggest impact on todays music?

2. I'd say Jimmy Page is the most influential but not necessarily the best.

Today's music doesn't seem to influenced at all with the classic guitarists

3. so are you asking who is the most influncial guitarist to other guitarists or the most influencial of all time haha. I think that bob marley albet that he wasn't the most ckilles guotarist ever he took his meager beginnings and made something of himself and instead of living in the lap of luxury shared his wealth as much as he could through out jamaica and all over the world bob marley is loved, thats why i think that bob marley is the most influencial guitarist

4. to ask that question i think you gotta go back, WAY back. the first rock n rollers of the 50's era...they were the ones that influenced all those guys in the late 60's, and into the 70's when the real power guitar jams started exploding. Chuck Berry comes to mind...

Attached Files:

• 027.jpg
      027.jpg
      File size:
      14.5 KB
      Views:
  5. Great picks so far guys, thats exactly what I was looking for.
    I tend to agree Yesterday, Chuck Berry probably gets my vote without a doubt as most influential although I didnt list him. I was just curious to see what everyone here thought.
    Maybe if I were to break it down to most influential of each decade it would have looked something like this
    50s Chuck Berry
    60s Jimi Hendrix
    70s Jimmy Page
    80s Eddie Van Halen
    90s Hell I dont even know

Not to mention all of the various styles and guys like
    Chet Atkins, Adre Segovia, Les Paul,

Come to think of it.....I guess it could be argued that Les Paul is pretty damn influential of every style.

The question is a wide spectrum broad based generalization. Ill probably agree with every reply for 1 reason or another.

6. Fuck Satriani, fuck Vai, fuck Malmsteen...I'm sick of their G3 wankin'...I'd rather go with Jeff Beck or my favourite (the guy who really made me wanna become a good guitar player) Stevie Ray Vaughan...

Django Reinhard is mad wicked, too...

7. Ill say 1 thing Mr Skinner, I followed SRV all over the country and saw him about 2 dozen times or so. ABSO FUCKIN LUTELY the best live player Ive ever seen. The Couldnt stand the weather tour was in small clubs no opening act..
    Clowes Hall Butler Univ. Indiana I sat 3 rows back and watched as Double Trouble left the stage and Stevie wasnt done playing yet....he sat on the edge of the stage directly in front of me , leaned his head back closed his eyes, and played Lenny for about 30 mins, smoked 2 cigs during it wearing a Hendrix T shirt and a beret...never said a word got up and walked off stage....I still get goosebumps thinkin about it.

8. Oh you lucky fuckin' bastard....I hope you cherish that moment forever...

I've stood 5 feet from B.B.King on a gig he played. But that's not even close to seeing SRV live!!!

9. out of the ones on your list, i would have to go with EVH. im not the biggest fan of his music or anything, but in the late 70s-80s thousands of metal bands came out trying to do what he did.

10. All of those guitarists havent been around long enough to be the most influential... Use your brain, clearly the guitarists of an older era are more influential.

11. What he said ^^^^

12. The Jimmys

13. Jimmy for sure.... Amazing

14. What Jimmy? Vaughan?

Kidding...I know you mean Jimi

15. Yeah Stevie Ray Vaughn should really be on that list:confused:

16. Robert Johnson is the original guitarist. Everyone was influenced by him. Then Hendrix, everything you listen to today has something to do with Hendrix, he didn't sound the best due to technology but he's incredible.

17. I agree with Chai wheres Stevie at? If anyone smokes decent herb here and gets high off your ass kick back and turn on Lenny-Stevie Ray Vaughn.
    Jimmy was an influential player because he basically started from scratch but Stevie took it to a whole new level and what i think is he didn't have talent he had a gift which was a pick in his right hand and the guitar in his left and one crazy as mind that was out of this world.
    Rest in peace Stevie
    [​IMG]

18. Most influential? I'd probably pick Hendrix... but I voted for Satriani because he's my favorite in that list and has yet to get any love. :`-(
    w
    Yeah I know, that's not the point of this poll, wanna fight about it!?

19. Lenny is one of my favorite songs ever! I think the best version I've heard is from Live from Carnegie Hall. Never have I listened to a solo performace in any capacity and been so captivated. The way I see it, some learn to play well, some are born with it in their blood, and then there is a rare breed who are born with it and then perfect it. For Stevie, the sky was the limit. And now, the sky truely is crying!