Most inexpensive protein source. Reps for good answers.

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Runningw235, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Wal-Mart's solid white albacore is a Great Value.

2. egg whites, beans, nuts, all kinds of meat/fish, tofu, go lean cereal(lol), also keep peanut butter on deck

3. Whey powder and spirulina powder are usually in a bulk bin in a health food store or bulk food place. Both are not expensive as compared to the pre packaged brands.

4. Cottage cheese son! Mix up some fruit jelly up in thurrr for great flavaaa! :D

5. Not sure how cheap you can get them, but garbonzo beans have pretty much the highest concentration of protein you can get in a bean.

Can't really think of any others that haven't already been listed.

6. Chobani greek yogurt cups are about a dollar each and have 13 grams of protein,

just throwing that out there

7. Buy bulk meat from costco, big initial cost but way cheaper in the long run

just cut it up and freeze it

8. I am surprised nobody said lentils. 8 grams of protein per serving with 14 serving sizes. 112 grams of protein for like $1.50

9. Milk oats penut butter and some olive oil in a shake.... mmmmm

10. Odawlla makes these awesome protein recovery drinks 20g and 25g about 1.99 I'll drink one every now an then after lifting. But Greek yogurt, spinach, and chicken all good sources of protein

11. I don't know why you're against protein powder.

It's a pretty well-known fact that it's a super cheap source of protein, considering how much protein there is in a whole tub of protein powder.

Check out bodybuilding.com, they usually have good deals and prices (actually better than any nutrition store I've been to) without sacrificing quality.

Other than that, milk is a good source. I wouldn't recommend unless you're bulking though, which you should be doing soon, since winter is a-comin ;)

12. Yeah I did end up getting some protein powder.

Im gonna try my best to stay stocked with that, eggs, and milk.

13. Tilapia fillets are versatile, natural, and really affordable.
    The cheapest source though, at least in my area, seems to be a tie between canned asian sardines and eggs.

14. pinto beans, black beans, Lentils, quinoa, whole milk, eggs, tuna, salmon, chicken, hemp seed protien, whey is like $14 for a big ass thing but i wouldnt eat that crap. lentils and brown rice is a excellent source for prot/carbs, quinoa is very very good in its self.

15. Canned tuna has a lot of protein and is cheap

16. rice and beans

17. you can always munch on bugs your find outside or earthworms. you cant taste them with canned chilli beans, you need to finely chop them up. i know cuz thats what i had to survive on while out in alaskan wilderness last year

18. Milk is actually extremely cheap for the amount of protein is in it. 125g in a gallon, which is like 4-5 bucks.

Those little cans of tuna are pretty high in protein, and they're like less than a dollar a can.

And mixed nuts are another good source of protein, not always so cheap though.

19. #39 Trogdor, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2012
    Milk is cheapest protein source where I live. $3 per gallon - 70 cents for 30 grams protein
    Eggs are a close second $1.79/dozen - 74 cents for 30 grams protein

meat at a good price $3/pound - $1.20 for 30 grams protein
    costs nearly twice as much.

I can show my work if anyone is interested in or doesn't understand how I arrived at these numbers.

20. peanut butter will be your best friend. same with milk just remember they both have tryptophan in them which will naturally relax your body and make you sleepy