Moscow Rally Protest Feb. 4th

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TheRussianToker, Jan 28, 2012.

1. [​IMG]

The Moscow Mayor's office has agreed with representatives of opposition movements that a 50-thousand-strong protest rally will take place in the center of the city on February 4.

Initially, the city authorities had insisted that the rally be moved to February 5, but the protesters insisted on February 4, which they see as a symbolic date – exactly one month ahead of the presidential poll, and two months after last year's parliamentary election.

The opposition say they plan to voice the same demands as at last year's rallies on Bolotnaya Square and Sakharov Prospect: protest at violations in the parliamentary election, and a call to liberalize Russia's political life. Last year's rallies are reported to have gathered from 25 to 30 thousand participants.

Moscow approves 50,000-strong opposition rally

Cool, each year the rallys are getting bigger, you know what that means....overthrow of government for 700 trebek?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5Qda2HS7X0&feature=related]Bob Marley - Get up , Stand up - YouTube[/ame]

2. thats the place a martyr is born.

3. I'm not surprised. First Putin was president, then named himself prime minister and named his successor, and now all of a sudden hes president again...Russia hasn't changed much since the 80s...

4. Thanks!

very true. But things are changing at a much faster rate, and the things
    Putin will change is a scary thought. He is either a very powerful puppet, or he is part
    of a powerful elite

5. What do you think putins plans are for 2012?

6. I think Putin will continue to listen to his people...and finish what he started.
    He will try to create a better education plan, and make Russia a great place to live in, work in, and travel in, and not just for Russians.

Or he could become extremely corrupted, then join forces with the great u.s. and enslave everybody....

7. .... I don't even know what to make of this post. From top to bottom, it's just gibberish that doesn't make much sense.

Also Kasparov for Russian president :p

8. There's no hope for Putin. None at all. Though he'll do anything to hold onto power and that includes falsifying election results. Good luck.

9. Putin has controlled Russia since 1999 expecting some sort of change by electing Putin again is insane! Its like electing Bush for a FOURTH term and expecting something different. I don't get the thought process. :confused_2:

10. Are you under the delusion that he was ELECTED again? rofl

11. Putin and his United Russia Party are EXTREMELY popular in Russia it wouldn't surprise me if he was elected. Remember even Hitler was democratically elected.

12. yes.....thats exactly what PUTIN is, another hitler:hello:

back in my land, he is very powerful man who is popular with like 90% of all people in Reutov where i lived

13. Obviously english is your second language because I didn't call Putin another Hitler. I merely argued that Putin was democratically elected and that he is extremely popular in Russia which I'm sure you agree with. I hope the people of Reutov are happy with the status quo of Russia, because if they vote for Putin thats exactly what they're getting he is the status quo candidate.

14. :cool:Im sorry I misread this. But you are very much right, he is the status quo candidate.

15. Well I'm glad were on the same page. :)

16. Not saying this is the end all be all or anything but;

Kasparov says officials stopped presidential bid | World news | The Guardian

From the wiki;

Kasparov helped organize the Saint Petersburg Dissenters' March on 3 March 2007 and The March of the Dissenters on 24 March 2007, both involving several thousand people rallying against Putin and Saint Petersburg Governor Valentina Matviyenko's policies.[49][50] On 14 April, he was briefly arrested by the Moscow police while heading for a demonstration, following warnings by the prosecution office on the eve of the march, stating that anyone participating risked being detained. He was held for some 10 hours and then fined and released.[51]
    He was summoned by FSB for questioning, allegedly for violations of Russian anti-extremism laws.[52] This law was previously applied for the conviction of Boris Stomakhin.[53][54]
    Speaking about Kasparov, former KGB general Oleg Kalugin in 2007 remarked: "I do not talk in details-people who knew them are all dead now because they were vocal, they were open. I am quiet. There is only one man who is vocal and he may be in trouble: [former] world chess champion [Garry] Kasparov. He has been very outspoken in his attacks on Putin and I believe that he is probably next on the list."[55]
    On 30 September 2007, Kasparov entered the Russian Presidential race, receiving 379 of 498 votes at a congress held in Moscow by The Other Russia.[56]
    In October 2007, Kasparov announced his intention of standing for the Russian presidency as the candidate of the "Other Russia" coalition and vowed to fight for a "democratic and just Russia". Later that month he traveled to the United States, where he appeared on several popular television programs, which were hosted by Stephen Colbert, Wolf Blitzer, Bill Maher, and Chris Matthews.
    On 24 November 2007, Kasparov and other protesters were detained by police at an Other Russia rally in Moscow. This followed an attempt by about 100 protesters to break through police lines and march on the electoral commission, which had barred Other Russia candidates from parliamentary elections.[57] He was subsequently charged with resisting arrest and organising an unauthorized protest and given a jail sentence of five days. He was released from jail on 29 November.[58] Putin spoke briefly about the incident in an interview with Time magazine later that year, saying: "Why did Mr. Kasparov, when arrested, speak out in English rather than Russian? When a politician works the crowd of other nations rather than the Russian nation, it tells you something."[59]
    On 12 December 2007, Kasparov announced that he had to withdraw his presidential candidacy due to inability to rent a meeting hall where at least 500 of his supporters could assemble to endorse his candidacy, as is legally required. With the deadline expiring on that date, he explained it was impossible for him to run. Kasparov's spokeswoman accused the government of using pressure to deter anyone from renting a hall for the gathering and said that the electoral commission had rejected a proposal that separate smaller gatherings be held at the same time instead of one large gathering at a meeting hall.

More wiki;

In his first speech after being endorsed, Medvedev announced that, as President, he would appoint Vladimir Putin to the post of prime minister to head the Russian government.[32] Although constitutionally barred from a third consecutive presidential term, such a role would allow Putin to continue as an influential figure in Russian politics.[33] Putin pledged that he would accept the position of prime minister should Medvedev be elected president. Although Putin had pledged not to change the distribution of authority between president and prime minister, many analysts expected a shift in the center of power from the presidency to the prime minister post when Putin assumed the latter under a Medvedev presidency.[34] Election posters portrayed the pair side-by-side with the slogan "Together We Win"[35] ("Вместе победим").[2] Medvedev vowed to work closely with Putin once elected.[

In November 2005, Medvedev moved from the presidential administration to the government when Putin appointed him as the First Deputy Prime Minister of Russia

So the guy Putin puts as deputy prime minister, decided that after Putin had his two terms as president(a time in which most American presidents retire/relax) that he gets to be the prime minister.... just sayin.........

17. I am not saying Putin isn't corrupt, I'm not saying that he is best for Russia I'm merely saying he is popular enough in Russia that I don't think he needs to resort to outright fraud. I am no expert in Russian politics and I'm not Russian so my opinion doesn't really matter, but there are two things I do know, one is that Putin and the United Russia party are extremely popular and two is that Russia's political system is extremely corrupt. I wish the best for the Russian people, a prosperous and peaceful Russia is what is best for the world and I wouldn't have it any other way. I've always felt that Russia and the United States are natural allies and that we should return to our Pre-Soviet friendship and stop looking at each other like were enemies.

18. Putins ex-kgb hahaha, always found that amusing. Go figure that when they turn democratic they elect an ex kgb member.

19. Hehe, Putin is ex-kgb......

I'm glad though Putin released his manifesto for economic revival

and I have to say, not bad. He is putting up a Anti-monopoly stance also