Moriarty A Novel - Anthony Horowitz

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by Vee, Apr 21, 2022.

1. #1 Vee, Apr 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2023
    [​IMG]
    Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty are at it again in the 'remake' Holmes is played by Jones and the role of Watson by the Pinkerton detective Chase, a good read but only for fans, .written in the style of the 1890s. Horowitz is very good 9/10

Internationally bestselling author Anthony Horowitz's nail-biting new novel plunges us back into the dark and complex world of detective Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty—dubbed "the Napoleon of crime" by Holmes—in the aftermath of their fateful struggle at the Reichenbach Falls.

Days after the encounter at the Swiss waterfall, Pinkerton detective agent Frederick Chase arrives in Europe from New York. Moriarty's death has left an immediate, poisonous vacuum in the criminal underworld, and there is no shortage of candidates to take his place—including one particularly fiendish criminal mastermind.

Chase and Scotland Yard Inspector Athelney Jones, a devoted student of Holmes's methods of investigation and deduction originally introduced by Conan Doyle in "The Sign of Four", must forge a path through the darkest corners of England's capital—from the elegant squares of Mayfair to the shadowy wharfs and alleyways of the London Docks—in pursuit of this sinister figure, a man much feared but seldom seen, who is determined to stake his claim as Moriarty's successor.

A riveting, deeply atmospheric tale of murder and menace from one of the only writers to earn the seal of approval from Conan Doyle's estate, Moriarty breathes life into Holmes's dark and fascinating world.

Robert Pinkerton used to say that a lie was like a dead coyote. The longer you leave it, the more it smells.

When the evidence leads to only one possible conclusion, the truth of it, no matter how unlikely, cannot be ignored

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Woow I Wanna Read This FrFr! It Release Yet @vostok ?

~Toni~

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. [​IMG]
    it got released September 2015 is book 2 of the Sherlock Holmes series Book 1 was

[​IMG]
    which I got on back order from amazon in the style of 1880's speaking is tough for me
    Once again, The Game's Afoot...
    London, 1890. 221B Baker St. A fine art dealer named Edmund Carstairs visits Sherlock Holmes and Dr John Watson to beg for their help. He is being menaced by a strange man in a flat cap - a wanted criminal who seems to have followed him all the way from America. In the days that follow, his home is robbed, his family is threatened. And then the first murder takes place.

Almost unwillingly, Holmes and Watson find themselves being drawn ever deeper into an international conspiracy connected to the teeming criminal underworld of Boston, the gaslit streets of London, opium dens and much, much more. And as they dig, they begin to hear the whispered phrase-the House of Silk-a mysterious entity that connects the highest levels of government to the deepest depths of criminality. Holmes begins to fear that he has uncovered a conspiracy that threatens to tear apart the very fabric of society.

The Arthur Conan Doyle Estate chose the celebrated, #1 New York Times bestselling author Anthony Horowitz to write The House of Silk because of his proven ability to tell a transfixing story and for his passion for all things Holmes. Destined to become an instant classic, The House of Silk brings Sherlock Holmes back with all the nuance, pacing, and almost superhuman powers of analysis and deduction that made him the world's greatest detective, in a case depicting events too shocking, too monstrous to ever appear in print...until now.
    Horowitz has also written 2 James Bond 007 books here

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Long Finished: would I read again - Yes.

the Pinkerton guy Chase is a solid strong likeable guy, in a screwed up London,
    with Athelney Jones being more cargo than crew, but does have his uses

it would make a classy period film, giving a fine example of how Americans
    were treated by the Brits at the end of the 19th cent.

the Sherlock Holmes connection is just crap and could easy be scrapped
    along with the Moriarty clichés

• Creative Creative x 1
  5. Ohh I Forgot To Mention I Bought This Book But I Haven't Got Around To Reading It Just Yet. It Safely In Our Bed Room Tho.

~Toni~

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. not much female interest in these volumes, other than the overly fussy wife of Jones

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. #7 sandiecotsisjgn45, Sep 29, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
    Horowitz created a fascinating historical world where Holmes and Moriarty are once again rivals, and it was a fun read. I would also rate this book 9/10. A great read for Sherlock Holmes fans and lovers of old-time fiction.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1