More watts or c02?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by nlftw, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Hey everyone, was hoping to get some opinions on how to increase my yield.

I am flowering under a 400w hps and have only been growing 1 or 2 plants under it. My yield has been pretty consistent of 2 -2.5oz's each plant.

I have been contemplating adding another light to increase my wattage, maybe another 400w. But I have also thought about adding c02 to my tent.

Would it be more efficient and effective for my yield to add more light or simply add more c02? How much a difference would each make?

Thanks!

2. I should also add that I am flowering in a 3x6x6 grow tent.

3. I would go for a 600w light, you get almost 2x light for 1.5x more energy consumption

4. So say maybe look into adding another 250w to add next to the 400w?

Sent from my XT907 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. You will get more lumens with 1 600watt bulb than a 400 + 250 together, but there is no reason you can't add a 250watt light. Of course you will need increased airflow if your temperatures rise.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Defiantly get a 600W. my coffee pot burns twice the juice as a 400.

• Like Like x 2

I would be looking to put 2 600w in there, I run a bit more than that and my electric bill isn't off the charts or anything. Shouldn't be a problem keeping them cool with a good ventilation setup.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Well I guess I will start looking into finding a used 600w then,

my dumper fan is only suitable to cool a 600w right now. Would it be a waste of light for me to only grow less than 4 plants under a 600 or a 1000w? I assume things will be way too hot in my tent with a 1000w

2 of my plants take up most of that area by the time I put them in flower.

9. Oh by the way I'm sorry, I gave incorrect dimensions for my tent.

It is a 3 x 4.5 x 5 tall , my apologies

10. Well think I'm going to trade in my 400w floralux and get a used warrantied 1000w dimable ballast, comes with the cooled hood and 600w ups bulb Hydro guy said 260 for everything. Sounds like I can't beat that deal seeing he said the ballasts are 300 usually. And its still under warranty so I can return if needed.

Sound like a good deal? I think I'm going to go for it

11. Get the 1,000w ballast for sure, if it dimmable then you can run less watts when you want. I have 2 digital and 1 magnetic MH only.

12. Here's my next question. Seeing I have a 400mh n a 400hps right now would it make more sense to downsize my mh to a t5?

Because obviously I was unaware before that light wattage should double from veg to flower. or stick to my 400w mh and upgrade to the 600hps

13. I'm also only going to have a max of 4 plants in my veg tent. Or would downsizing only slow my veg growth? I have somebody I know selling a 4ft t5 light for under 100 $, maybe trade in my 400w? Am I wasting wattage n light with my 400w mh?

Sorry for all the questions, but now that I know I'm trying to fix this

14. Do you leave that on for 12-18 hours a day?

15. Well for my flower 12/12. But my veg room has my 400w mh going 24/7.

16. I was just making the point it doesn't matter about his coffee pot. It may use more watts, but it's not running 12-24 hours a day.

Can't go wrong with more watts. Co2 is tricky. I tried it, but i can't keep a closed room so decided not to worry about it. Plus my Meter says it's at a constant 650 or so ppm. When I'd go in there it would spike. So just go chill in your room more. Read a book to your plants. Ha.

17. Haha, thanks for the help! As for now I'm not worried as much about c02. More about getting the most out of everything I can. It sounds like keeping my 400w mh in veg isn't a bad idea, but I'm also not sure if its just over kill for 2-4 plants under 2.5ft tall at most

At least.

19. Can you add a smaller tent say 2' x 4' x 5' tall. Keep the 400 in there vegging put a 600 in the flowering room. 600s are awesome. A little heat but worth it.

20. Well that's pretty much what I was going to do. Except I was contemplating either keeping my mh or trading it for a t5. I Only keep 4 plants in my veg tent at once max. And the plan was to trade my 400 hps in for a1000w hps dimmable that I can dim to 600.