More War on Drugs failure

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Visionary, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Privatize the War on Drugs!

2. Finding fault in the war on drugs is like shooting fish in a barrel.

3. The 'War on Drugs' is the perfect example of Public Choice Theory's validity. I honestly don't think a better modern example exists.

4. Can you explain what you mean by public choice theories validity? The war on drugs is an utter failure, but if you asked the rest of my family, 90% would disagree with me..

5. #7 NasaJoe, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2011
    Thats the first place i went..

What does,

"In economics, public choice theory is the use of modern economic tools to study problems that are traditionally in the province of political science"

mean? I need some clarification up in this hizzy..

Is it fundamentally the libertarian stance by definition?

6. Not really.

It basically says that politicians are self-interest, and make policy accordingly. The reason why drugs haven't become legal is because it's not in the interests of politicians to do so. The reason why pot isn't legal isn't because politicians think that it's actually bad--they know pot is fine, and they've all probably done it, or still do it, but there's no incentive for them to legalize it.

7. I couldnt agree with you more. This is why there are no moderates in congress. People view politics in black and white, when in reality there are many, many, shades of grey.

8. Totally...and it would be pretty damn hard to just turn around and say "oh, that was our bad. All those hundreds of billions, errr, trillions of dollars we wasted of your money to protect you from yourself and a harmless plant...and oh, sorry for all the thousands upon thousands of people we incarcerated and all those innocent people who ended up being killed because of it..."

I posted this in another thread but it's relevant to the above. I heard a former CIA analyst state this and I happen to agree with it.

"Nations are a lot like people, they don't like to admit mistakes."

It would be quite difficult for the government to admit any wrongdoing considering how awful the drug war has been for Liberty and the average American...

DEFINITELY a must-see:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqJO-RFQfHk]YouTube - The Union - The Business Behind Getting High | Full Movie[/ame]

9. The Constitution and the Founders were pretty black and white but politicians introduced us to shades of gray. The Constitution can be amended, not exploited to fit some ideologues political agenda. It really is the ultimate "Power to the people!" document/movement ever created. And, year after year, it's been slowly taken away from us...

Hell, the Founders of this country loved Hemp and Marijuana. :smoke:

10. I agree we should be weary of constitutional amendments above all else.. I continue to prey logic will prevail.. Im open to people proving this opinion wrong at anytime.

11. Constitutional Amendments are tough, getting some activist Judge to interpret the Constitution in your favor - to promote your agenda - is much easier.

And in the end, us peons are left going W-T-F?

12. ya...we had that problem before, and took care of things...or so we thought...is it time again?

[​IMG] :devious: