More violence during N. California pot raids

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by oltex, Aug 23, 2010.

1. More violence during N. California pot raids
    SacBee / AP / 08,22,2010

SANTA ROSA, Calif. -- Authorities are trying to determine what's causing an increase in violence that has left five suspects dead during raids of marijuana gardens across Northern California during the past several weeks.

Most recently, one suspect was fatally shot in a gunbattle Wednesday when more than 60 law enforcement officers raided a marijuana garden in a remote area of Mendocino County. Drug agents have been raiding marijuana grows across the region for years, but the raids this summer have turned increasingly violent.

"It's not the way it used to be," said Mendocino County Sheriff's Lt. Rusty Noe, who has led the county's marijuana team for eight years. Two of the fatal pot field shootings involved deputies from his department.

Sonoma County officials have begun treating marijuana eradication efforts like SWAT operations, Sonoma County Sheriff's Capt. Matt McCaffrey said. "These aren't the same marijuana gardens as 20 years ago," McCaffrey said. Though most suspects at the marijuana gardens flee when law enforcement officials raid a grow, some pull out their weapons.

"It's possible they're acting out with violence because they feel pushback from law enforcement," said Rusty Payne, a spokesman with the Drug Enforcement Administration.
    "We (federal agents) haven't seen this," Payne said. "Five is a lot."

Local authorities believe the influence of Mexican drug cartels, more aggressive law enforcement tactics and the increase in large-scale pot operations might be contributing to the increase in violence.

With marijuana growing suspects becoming more aggressive, members of the public are being warned to stay away from marijuana gardens in remote areas. At a church camp west of Lake Sonoma, staff members have begun warning campers to stay close to the buildings and off the trails that wind through the area. In Mendocino County, the public was warned to stay away from a popular mountain trail after a group of hunters was confronted by armed men and told to leave the area. Before the confrontation, the hunters had noticed drip irrigation lines nearby.

A recent study has shown that increased enforcement has always resulted in increased violence. And by training the eradication teams in swat tactics the police are increasing the chances of a violent confrontation even more,and many more "accidental" shootings.

2. It's because we're sick of your shit, federal government. You've pushed us for over 70 years, don't be surprised when we push back. I think this is just the natural result of an incredibly tense conflict. People are being persecuted despite state laws, and even with potential legalization coming in November the DEA still refuses to operate by the will of the people. If the Prop 19 fails, i expect this violence to increase....a lot.

3. #3 dcgamer, Aug 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2010
    It's funny how they try to connect something in Northern CALI to Cartels as a way to demonize Marijuana grows and criminalize them more in the "drug-war" equation LOL, when it is something they obviously are creating. Like they say, "history is written by the conqueror" and u have Law Enforcement doing it here.

The DEA didn't let Prop215 stop them in many situations, and P19 won't either. DEA has MJ scheduled as a drug in same class as heroin, same eradication biz for them as always.

4. State laws don't cover these pieces of shit growing in our forests, threatening and terrorizing innocent citizens. Fuck all of those mother fuckers, shoot em dead and let them rot where they fall. :mad:

If you think these huge grows aren't connected to Mexican cartels you are woefully ignorant.

These aren't medical grows, people!!!! 215 compliant growers don't grow on public property, armed with firearms, shooting at cops and threatening unwitting hikers and hunters who happen to get too close to these illegal grows. These fuckers are the ones giving all of us a bad name. Don't stick up for them, the cops are actually doing what they're supposed to be doing for once. They aren't raiding backyard grows, they aren't raiding legal clubs/dispensaries, they're raiding guerrilla grows in the woods of Mendo county.

5. #5 dcgamer, Aug 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2010
    But US THUGS grows are also rampant, it seems Law Enforcement reports find it very easy to "name-drop" "Cartels" in their report to make themselves seem "legitimate crime fighters" (when they are the ones killing ppl for growing herb in the first place)when many AMERICAN domestic grow-ops go on. This article provided no proof of Cartel connection, PURE SPECULATION. it seems connection of weed production is mass quantities is always connected to racism directed at Mexicans for "bringing crime here" when AMERICAN CITIZENS grow LOADS AND LOADS of bud. I Know homies that grow and they are Blonde hair "Aryans" LOL. Almost everyone with a assets at stake will arm themselves, not all criminals are Mexican. This is undeniable. When it comes to Coke and Poppy trafficking in The US, yes no doubt they must be connected to Cartels, but a grow-op in Norcal? It's just DEA and Law Enforcement agents using republican logic to seem as heroes instead of harrasing domestic growers. Cops would blast u if u have loads of plants if they want to, they will say federal law was on their side, whether P215 or not.

6. It's been reported that cartels often essentially "force" people to grow for them or their families are harmed. That would be a strong motivator for anyone to "protect" their crop. Once again, escalation of the policy has a direct influence on the violence.

7. cartels grow in every state. i am 100% certain that they grow a lot of pot in the emerald triangle.

8. Don't get me wrong, I in no way support the cartels that are destroying our wilderness and ruining the state. I'm just saying, the govt is wondering where all the aggression and tension is coming from, and it's clear to anyone with an ounce of logic that it comes from our fucked up drug laws.

9. I've always been against violence and hate that it is so rampant in all areas of the US, especially marijuana since I've always thought it to be a peaceful substance. But if you get bullied enough you don't always think so peacefully anymore.

If you look back at alcohol prohibition, Al Capone wasn't so peaceful and his tactics got shit done. If not for his involvement then there probably wouldn't be much of a NASCAR fan-base.