More than 20 arrested in big Peel drug bust

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Superjoint, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Peel Region, Canada---A sophisticated international drug distribution ring that had holdings and profits in the "millions of dollars" has been busted in Peel Region, police say.

Police believe an Asian organized crime ring grew hydroponic majijuana plants and distributed the product throughout the United States. They smuggled the marijuana across the border near Cornwall using snowmobiles and boats.

Today, 12 search warrants were executed in Peel and four outside the region.

More than 20 people were arrested and are facing a variety of criminal charges.

Police seized approximately $2 million in cash, $900,000 worth of jewellery and about 700 pounds of marijuana.

"The accused were living in large expensive homes and driving expensive cars," Sergeant Todd Moore said in a release.

A number of luxury vehicles were seized, including two Porsches and a Mercedes Benz, police say.

The investigation, dubbed Project "Freightliner," began last September and involved the RCMP in Cornwall, Canada Customs, U.S. Customs, the Drug Enforcement Agency in the U.S. as well as the Montreal police.

"The drugs were smuggled across the border into the United States through the Cornwall Island area," Moore said. "This group was responsible for moving over 1,000 pounds of marijuana a month across the border."

Police say the drugs were smuggled by snowmobiles and boats. A number of vehicles were modified with hidden compartments to conceal large quantities of marijuana for transport, police say.

2. 700 pounds....:( that's alot of weed.

3. thatz so not right...700 pounds...that could keep me high for about...a year. lol

4. Shit... that's not far from me... and you'd think someone with that much weed would share it but noooooo...

5. damnn thats gonna suck for a whole lot of people. do you have a link for that article?

6. omg thats bull i hate the DEA and that is bull that they did that to them they were jus making a living.

7. i thought they had weed made legal in canada....

8. no they didnt, and even if they did it still would not be legal to smuggle it into the US

9. Governments are the only ones aloud to make easy money

10. You guys are lucky in britain we never have shit like dat goin around i wished i was lucky enuf to actualy live near that amount