More LED Questions

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Corn-dog, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Thank to all that have taken time to answer my question about led lighting, when i set up my light im going to make a how to of parts and materials i gathered as well as pics how i wired it up and then the test grow. Im only using this light for veg, but i do plan on making another a bit later to put in my grow room if the first 1 is sucsessful for mother. I might try to flower with them im not sure though, i've found a place that supposedly sells 735nm, and if this is the case then i will make a panel or two of these to kick on the last 2 hour of 12/12 but since im not rich that will probably be a year or so untill i have that kickin.

But anyways unto the questions:
    how many, mcd@mA: 2400@20 / Wavelength (nm): 660 LED bulbs do i need to equal 1 luxeon 1watt LED. This is the one part about led's im still confused about is converting millamps and such between lumens.

So if you curious about the plan i plan on using the royal blue luxeons as they are in the correct spectrum and are well priced, but the reds are way to low, i still plan on using some red luxeons but i want to supplement them with these higher spectrum 660nm leds, so any advice or ideas of how many of those leds i need to equall about the lumens/watt/whatever of luxeons that would be great so i then could build my unit.

2. Hi C-dog, I have been working with the luxeon emitors for quite some time now and have creating a couple of custom light installations for automation tasks. ie. vision inspection systems.
    They are not the easiest to work with as the operating temperatures get sky high, but they do shine bright.
    Firstly I would recommend doing a smaller set up to trial them, say for instance (in my opinion for flowering) use 8 royal blue and 16 red this gives more nm in the flowering spectrum.
    Now the royal blue have a different forward voltage recommendation than the red, i think about 3.5v blue and 3v red, this will have to be refleted in the wiring.

The red have a peak of 5.5 ma forward drive. But this will need some fancy cooling.

There is plenty of info on the lumileds website regarding ratings.

I am thinking of doing a luxeon set up my self when i get a bit of time.

Just make shore you put fat heat sinks on all of the little buggers coz they dont last long without em.

in-a-bit pal

3. Hey mate. Just curious.. how many and what wattage blue Luxeons do you plan on using? For what size area?