more intake or exhaust to lower temp?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by erythnuul, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Well as it gets warmer outside, so does it in my apartment. After battling to reach stable temperatures, the temps inside my apartment have been rising recently as the weather outside gets warmer. Because of this the temps inside my box have also gone up. It went from 79-82 to about 83-85 and I really want to get this problem under control asap seeing as how I've got a lady about 2 weeks into flowering. To help with the temp reduction, should I add more passive intakes, or add more exhaust? Right now I have 2 high power cpu fans and two 4 inch passive intake holes that both have pretty good suction.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

2. More exhausting would be best. Do you have a fan blowing at the lights towards the exhaust? That can help tremendously.

3. I tried this but it only raised my temperature. I guess more exhaust would make sense considering that then, since the fan blowing on the lights would be blowing the hot air up, but if it can't be exhausted then it just sits there and raises the temps. Or is that logic flawed somewhere?

4. Anyone have any other input? I feel like I also remember reading that intake should be 4x exhaust, so that kind of confounds the idea to add more exhaust.

5. i have found its best to have no intake fan and all exhaust fan with adequate passive intake

6. Well all my intake is passive. So if I were to add more it would just be drill a few more 4" holes vs adding another one or two exhaust fans.

7. well all i can say is try it i would try to add more intake first if that doesnt correct it add more exhaust and you already have your extra intake

8. I think the temperature increase with the fan blowing at the lights is just the effect of the ambient temperature rise.

9. I've read this too, I've also read the intake should be 1/2, 1/4, same, 1.5 x, size of the exhaust. There are so many mixed opinions about this. I would think about my current situation and try what I think will work best for me. Imagine, if you had an intake four times the size as your exhaust, and you do not have a high CFM exhaust. I would assume a lot of odor would leak out. If you had a small four inch exhaust, that's a sixteen inch passive intake.