More educated, More religious?

Discussion in 'General' started by Twistedd, Aug 26, 2011.

1. (CNN) - If you don't have a college degree, you're less likely to be up early on Sunday morning, singing church hymns.

That's the upshot of a new study that finds the decline in church attendance since the 1970s among white Americans without college degrees is twice as high as for those with college degrees.

The decline in church attendance among whites without college degrees is twice as high as for those with college degrees.

Source;
    Less-educated Americans are losing religion, study finds

2. Sing church hymns? I can write my own church hymns:cool:

3. "Faith and knowledge are related as the two scales of balance; when the one goes up, the other goes down." Arthur Schopenhauer.

4. its about these people with degrees networking and just doing what theyre supposed to do, go to work, bring the family to church, etc etc. the burbs are full of these weekend warriors.

5. I think this has a lot to do with Christian families being a lot more disciplined than nonreligious families.

Educated doesn't mean smarter though. ;)

6. I will respond to your quote with another. One of my favourites. [​IMG]

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." -Galileo Galilei

7. Thats odd, everywhere I've read says the exact opposite. The more educated you are the less you believe in religion. For instance, Vermont is the smartest state and has the highest number of atheists.

Probably because they don't have good jobs and can't afford the gas to go to church anymore

8. Weird seems exactly opposite, all of my friends who were religious in high school have pretty much went 180 since college. But obviously my experiences alone do not speak for others....

9. This is such bullshit. Since when did personal intellect and religious beliefs cross paths? What's next, are we going to need a college degree to believe in god?