More Dabbing Questions

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by Deleted member 616232, Jan 3, 2015.

1. I've been dabbing for quite awhile now, and I've been reading this section of the board a lot. When I first started, someone brought over a torch and a nail-a home made thing that worked just fine.

Eventually I bought my own oil pipe, and kept breaking glass nails, and the LHS gal sold me a ti nail. Now I've been reading on here about Chinese ones. Just like the Chinese knock off vapes, are supposed to be bad for you, so are the Chinese nails.

I don't really know what I'm doing, but this seems to work. Maybe it's too hot cause I am very confused about the low temp dabs.

I hold the torch on it until it turns red. then I wait, probably less than 30 sec. for the red to go away, and now I am looking for white . How do I know if if have a Chinese nail, and how do I know how to make my dab low temp.

I did have a domeless glass nail, but I really do prefer the dome. I'm able to make small dabs and I feel like the dome directs it. I felt like i wasted a lot with  the domeless one .

It's difficult when you have to learn everything online cause my other friends around my age gave up smoking years ago. So it's not like I smoke with a lot of people.

2. Post a pic of the TI nail. Sounds like you are heating it too much. Also if you where loosing a lot with a Domeless in going to guess that you didn't have a carb cap?

To low temp, depending on what nail you have, your going to have to keep trying till you get it right. The rig won't fully milk untill you carb it on a proper low temp dab

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. #3 dekabos, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2015
    Gotta find a place with nails that you can count on. You want Grade 2 Ti. This ( http://dandlco.com/collections/oil-rig-kits-and-titanium-nails ) is where I've had the best experiences, pretty local too if you're in OR. 

You don't need the nail glowing red every time. I get it to where it's starting to turn color on around half the surface, then let it cool down for a few seconds before dabbing the oil. Try it out a few times and you'll find the sweet spot for your setup.

I like mine cool enough that too big of a dab can leave me with a little leftover stickiness, but that low heat taste is worth a little bit wasted here and there.  :smoking:

4. After I have let it cool for a bit, when I hit it, I am getting a big ol hit. I have no clue if it's smoke or not. It looks like what I blow out of my
    little solo vape. But then again, what I blow out of there looks to me like what I blow out of a joint -smoke.

It all looks the same to me. How do you know if you're smoking or if it's actually vape?

5. If you don't have a carb cap these quartz dome less are the shit I miss this nail so bad

Attached Files:

6. Like I mentioned earlier, you don't want to zinge your oil. Just keep wait 5 secs longer everytime till you find that sweet spot. You don't want a pool of leftover oil on your nail but at a good low temp there should be a little oil left on the nail

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. I must be doing it right then. There always is a little bit of wet oil left on everything. I'll start waiting 5 extra seconds to be sure. I like the nail better than a domeless nail.

8. After looking over the products in that headshop I would recommend getting Ti else where. Everything on that site looks like cheap china mass productions. The one product they claim is HE would be real Ti and it cost more or the same as any nail on that site.

So you can tell grade 2 Ti from fake by looking at a pic? The nail I bought there has been a workhorse piece for the last six months, and not the slightest hint of magnetism either. Not so for the LHS nail I started with, it was showing weird discoloration within a week and definitely stuck a bit to the magnet. Dunno why everyone insists on paying as much for their nail as they possibly can, it's not just about brands.

10. I paid $25 for my Ti nail at the LHS. It seems to be fine. It's all black inside now. The outside is grey.Does that mean that there's been oxidation? When I first got it, the whole thing was just grey , the color of metal.

11. Just my opinion based on the price and how the rigs look.

When it comes to Ti I would rather spend a little more and be sure that its real then get a good deal and cross my fingers.

12. #12 dekabos, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2015

Fair enough. Just throwing my experience in for the quality of their Ti, their glass has impressed me too fwiw. I've gotten bargain glass and nails and shit from head shops around the PNW so I know what the typical import quality level is like and the quality vs price from DandLco (or however they spell it :p) has blown me away every time. No affiliation on my part, but I hate to see a local blade spending more on a nail than they need to when that money could go to some oil, seeds, lights, hookers, fast cars, whatever.  :ey:

13. You cant manufacturer an all grade 2 titanium nail for $20 a piece and still make a profit is why he is skeptical.

14. Thx will check out dandlco.

:rolleyes:  Uh huh. Then why does their site explicitly list their all of nails as certified grade 2? I think you mean "You can't buy a fancy name brand nail for $20," and that I'll agree with. Luckily I don't care one bit if my nail is of any particular brand. I bought a couple nails from them, certainly looked them over with a skeptical eye myself before I dabbed on them the first time, I've given them a hard workout in the last year and they've performed beautifully. Not so of my short-lived LHS nail/s.

16. You must be new to the world of titanium nails if you think that just because they say its grade 2 that it really is grade 2. The majority of the companys that has a main selling point of "grade 2 titanium" normally are not real.

17. This^
    you really "nailed" it with that one. I crack myself up

And you must have missed the part where I said that I looked it over /hard/ before I even torched the first nail I bought there. No magnetic pull, no weird discoloration or oxidation now after almost of a year of heavy (exclusive) use, the right sparks when it met the grinding wheel. I get that Chi glass and Ti is sketchy, I've been there and done that, but I'm sitting here after my morning dab looking at my workhorse rig with the nail I bought from them and I can tell you, first-hand, it's not the same as the Alibaba/LHS nails I've had and used. Sorry! I don't know what the hell you think it is if you're so certain it's not GR2 Ti. If it walks, talks, and dabs like a duck...

19. You know there are different grades of titanium that are cheaper to produce nails with that won't have a magnetic pull

And you're claiming that you /can't/ produce a GR2 Ti for under $20. I don't really know why you would claim that, because in about a minute with Google I can find certified GR2 Ti rod by the foot that would work out to way under $20 a nail in material costs. Source: https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=185&step=2&top_cat=1353&showunits=mm

A nail's really not too complicated a part to produce. Is is so hard to believe that with all the bad copies out there made from crap, someone makes a good copy from good metal and just doesn't charge as much as the original producer who has more brand recognition?