More Cannabis Prohibition History

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Storm Crow, Oct 17, 2022.

1. I enjoy history, and the history of the prohibition of cannabis is a story filled with lies and racism. The case of Victor Licata was used to incite fear of cannabis and made the front pages nationwide.

Why is marijuana illegal? How the 1933 Ybor City ax murders bolstered case to criminalize cannabis
    Why is marijuana illegal? How the 1933 Ybor City ax murders bolstered case to criminalize cannabis

And if you are REALLY into cannabis history, here's a whole ebook about the Victor Licata case-

VICTOR LICATA : A RUSH TO JUDGEMENT. (USA) (ebook – undated) INDEX - THE VICTOR LICATA CASE, CONCLUSIONS

Here's a little more- and you don't even have to struggle to read the old newspapers, they printed out the text of the articles. :biggrin:

THE LEGEND OF THE HOT TAMALE PEDDLER: What the Newspapers were saying. (USA) (news –1929-1940) Myths and Legends from the Reefer Madness Era -- Hot Tamale

And since the 1st article featured Harry Anslinger, here's one of his more famous pieces of "literature"-

Marijuana, Assassin of Youth - by H. J. Anslinger. (USA) (full – 1937)
    https://www.cannabis-marijuana.com/assassin-of-youth.html

Hope you all enjoyed that!

Granny :wave:

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. One of the biggest reasons cannabis or hemp was made illegal was because it cut into the profits of the beer companies and also the cotton industry, which back in the day, was enormously larger than now. One acre of hemp uses less water and creates the same amount of fiber as 4 acres of Cotton. It also uses dramatically less fertilizer, herbicides, and insecticides. The old 'it corrupts our kids' schtick was just a excuse...

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. (The) “Hemp plant itself is easy to grow in temperate climates and requires good soil, fertilizer and water but no pesticides nor herbicides.” From “Chemical Composition and Characterization of Hemp (Cannabis sativa) Seed oil and essential fatty acids by HPLC Method” (2013). http://scholarsresearchlibrary.com/aasr-vol5-iss1/AASR-2013-5-1-5-8.pdf

And why is Hemp seed oil so expensive when corn oil so cheap? Corn is 3% oil, while hemp seed is 30% oil. Corn produces slightly more per acre than hemp, but not anywhere near enough to make up the difference! Same goes for buying the seeds- compare the price of popcorn or cornmeal to that of hemp seed!

Granny :wave:

4. Farmers were required to grow hemp during WW2, my grandpa grew it in rural Indiana and I remember even when I was little in the 60's there was 'fence weed' that kids would stop to pick even though hemp had like almost no THC...

• Like Like x 1
  5. The more one looks into the the bs the government started with weed - it’s really disgusting.
    And it’s till pushed on tv shows - the “high weed guy” is always an idiot and acting a good and pounding food

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I might have posted this link here, somewheres, , ,

Why Is Marijuana Banned? The Real Reasons Are Worse Than You Think

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. I went thru a phase of binge watching 70s crime dramas a few years back and the scripts they wrote around pot were insane.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1