More Atheists?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by AndrewLoGi, May 31, 2011.

1. Is it just me, or does there seem to be a lot more young atheists now?

It could very well seem this way to me just because I'm in Canada, but I've noticed a lot of people around my age (aged about 18-25) that I talk to have clearly stated that they're atheists or agnostics. Even on youtube, there seems to be a considerable amount of atheists based on the video comments.

Personally, I consider myself to be an atheist, and it pleases me to see people starting to be skeptical and to think for themselves.

Has anyone else noticed this as well?

2. Yeah. It really is influenced by a grip of things. From music, or just general people learning to think for themselves.

3. I've noticed a rise in atheism/agnosticism and a rise in militant atheism.

4. The youth of America is much less religious and also much less involved/trusting of the entire political/authoritative system in this country. Growing up through 9/11 and Bush presidencies gave most people a negative perception of things.

When I ask most people about politics they say "I don't really care"

5. Too true my man.. I'm not atheist, but I used to be. Honestly, I think as you grow older, you start to realise your beliefs were based on confusion. All atheists I know are about 18-22 (I'm 22 myself), but it's mostly based on a misconception of "god" due to religions (christianity mainly).

6. i don't think atheism is normally a phase.

7. #7 Spiral Out KG, May 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2011
    Fair enough.. I say that because EVERYONE I know over 25 believes in some form of higher power. (be it nature or some higher entity) My opinion is only based on my experience though.

I feel like atheists are just confused in the sense that they are willing to accept "we just don't know". Theists are willing to accept existence is "god", and that's all I need to know to enjoy my existence here on earth.

8. Theism and atheism IMHO are both horrible. Both answer to the assumption of the existence of a god or no god. We can't prove the existence of a supernatural being in a natural world. Even in the bible it is stated that his thoughts are above our understanding.. So what would be the point in believing or saying he doesn't exist? I believe the question of a god is arbitrary and agnosticism is where it's at.. Don't make decisions without all the facts..

9. misinterpretation of the bible is usually what causes atheism. If you read it metaphorically (as it was meant to be read), you would see the universe itself is god, and life is jesus. Jesus didn't believe in religion, but eventual misinterpretation caused it anyways, which eventually lead us to the world were in today..

10. I have been to a few atheist meet ups about 30 min from where I live and what I found really interesting was the amount of families there. I would assume like the OP that most atheist are young from what you would gather on the internet but after going to a few of these meet ups I have seen mostly late 20's - mid 30's individuals and the families that go are what really surprised my wife and I, we figured we would be the only one bringing kids so it was actually kind of nice!

11. It's not a result of misinterpretations of anything. It is (supposed to be, at least) a result of critical thinking. Just like we don't believe in unicorns and fairies because we have no proof, we don't believe in god because we have no proof.

It's a logic thing.

12. Growing up home schooled having to watch the 700 club every morning, learning from books titled "God's gift of language" and "God's gift of mathematics" Not being able to connect with my peers through pop culture because anything secular was banned. When asking questions like how can we kill in gods name if it is in his 10 commandments to not kill? and get a answer well you are doing god's will, it is okay to go to war under god but you cant just murder people. This kind of indoctrination and mental growth retardation bordering on abuse sure creates an environment to foster a militant atheist.

I disagree, I used to take this stance when I was agnostic, but really atheists believe there is no god, given proof, IE god showing up we would all change our tunes. We realistically believe in the structure of science, observable evidence, asking questions, testing theories, reproduce tests, gain knowledge, etc etc.

I base my beliefs that there is no god. I firmly do not believe there is a god that resembles anything that religious doctrine tries to push. Do you think praying before a football game will help you win (from a god interaction standpoint?) Do you think god tests us with cruelty and injustice so we believe in him more deeply? If so our god is a joke and a bully and should be cast out from our belief system. My point is god does not exist the way we want him to he is a creation in our image not the other way around.

I believe in 'god' but his power is gravity, force, pressure, velocity, acceleration... you get the idea. Are these not the invisible forces that gave us life? That brought life and motion to the universe? There is no god that cares for us and takes interest in us. That story is a fairy tale for adults that are afraid of the dark.

Basically don't live life as if there is a god, if there is one, its beyond what we could imagine. Sure don't deny the existence if it reveals itself or is discovered through science. I think agnostics are just people who know better and atheists (especially militant ones like myself!) are the same people born from a personal relationship with religion itself.

Sorry /rant

13. Atheism got old pretty quickly.

14. #14 Super Gum, May 31, 2011
    Just like in any religion (or lack there of ;)) I think an Atheist's stand of views and opinions get tested several times throughout his or her life. Joining the work force, having children, etc. open up the rise of a lot of questions: "Should I openly talk about the fact that I'm an Atheist? Will this deter people from buying something from me/being my client? Should I raise my children in a Christian household like I (possibly) was? How should I respond if my child wants to go church?" All these questions along with the fact that Americans seem to think being a good, upstanding American means being a Christian could be a good reason for people to convert to Christianity.
    I'm an Atheist. Have been one for almost 10 years and am proud of it. I was also raised in the Bible Belt and (because I love the South so much- for other reasons besides Political, Religious, and Social views) plan on staying here for a while. I expect to have differing views on religion with almost all of the people I will encounter in my life... but the point of the matter is I am following what I believe and staying true to my morals...

15. #15 midnittoke, May 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    But your assumption of a god is no more accurate than a bible literalist. I specifically state agnostic to instill my insistence of how ridiculous it would be to even answer the question. You say you would believe if god showed up, then your decision o be atheist would be wrong once you have all the facts.. Hence agnosticism withholds my answer to a question with insufficient evidence, because most answers are logically probable given the lack of evidence and justification for a particular answer. I understand where you are coming from, and I'm not trying to cause drama. Even your own view sounds as if you want to believe in a higher power, but being atheist denies you that privilege. I say agnostic, because it logically fits my beliefs. My short coming as agnostic denies me the privilege of a basis for morals. I have to be able to justify or rationalize 'being a good person' without supernatural beings or entities.

16. #16 Spiral Out KG, May 31, 2011
    See my logic tells me existence is my god. It doesn't have to be an entity unless you make it one. I have pretty good proof that I exist, and we won't ever know why I'm sure, so I just live to experience my existence.

Since we can all share this existence objectively, I have to assume we are connected to this existence through consciousness. However we all experience this objective reality subjectively. (Meaning nature is the objective, but our interpretations are subjective)

17. I understand your point of view entirely, I am an atheists in my BELIEF. I used to be agnostic (I don't really know what I believe, I am open to the existence of god, but don't really grab onto the idea of his existence). Now I believe there is no god, but like any good thinker I am willing to be PROVEN wrong. I do not wish to believe in a deity / higher power, I just don't deny my limited capacity (as a human being) to claim to know everything. What I believe is there is no god other than nature. When I use the term god in my beliefs I really mean the driving force behind existence. Which is what science has been trying to get a real answer to since its creation.

I honestly don't see a lot of difference between agnostics and atheists, to me it is just the severity at which you dis believe. I was agnostic for about 10 years before I could fully break away from that idea that so much of my life was based on. Knowingly abandoning most of your childhood learning and trying to adapt to the real world is no easy task.

Atheist or Agnostic they are just a horse of a different color. We both carry the strength to NOT believe and that is the key property. I choose to actively NOT believe (atheist) where you passively do NOT believe (agnostic). We are one and the same just arriving at essentially the same conclusion.

I believe gravity exists (although we have had a lot of trouble capturing a graviton). If it turns out gravity doesn't exist I will adjust my beliefs. I have seen no observable evidence for the god that was created by man in his image. I see no observable god anywhere in the universe. That doesn't mean one doesn't exist, I just believe that one does not.

Just because I am an atheist does not make me closed minded or stuck in my ways. On the contrary it makes me more open minded and empathetic than I have ever been in my life. Not believing in god is what truly set me free.

18. See, while I am an Atheist and I believe the existence of militantly religious people is destructive to peace, I see that some people indeed need it. Like so. Everyone needs a reason to do good. Even if you have a pure moral standing, you still need something to keep you from going the easy route: fucking shit up. For me, it's just my conscience. I hate that knotted-stomach feeling I get when I knowably do something wrong. For other people, their reason is a God/Gods/Heaven/other afterlife. They feel if they do something immoral in "this life", then they will be punished after death. For some people, their reason to do good is because they don't want to lose their job, shame their family, lose their money, etc. Anyway, I'm not sure if I've lost anyone, but that's my reason for accepting the fact that people (feel they) need religion in their lives.
    (Maybe that was confusing and a little unrelated... Oh well. ;))

19. Again I see your point, but there is a large discrepancy between atheist and agnostic. I choose not to answer ( meaning i neither believe nor say that a higher power does not exist). I reiterate only because my personal beliefs of atheism is that it is just as logically wrong as theism. Therefore I withhold my decision to satisfy having a logical answer (or no answer because of infinite possibilities or lack of logic and rationality among accepted theories)

As far as a reason to need to do good is preposterous. What is to 'be a good person'? I know what it means to be a good person, but the problem with atheism and agnostic is the lack of logical justification for being a good person. Christians have the ability to say "God said to be a good person, and he gave us the 10 commandments". If you do not believe you have to somehow logically justify being a good person otherwise someone could do horrible things but not be a bad person from the lack of justification of what it is to be a good person...

20. I began to question my religion when I was about ten. Debated with myself for a year or two, decided I didn't believe in any god or higher being, and that just because you can't disprove something doesn't mean it's believable. Didn't know what the word "atheist" was at the time. Deep little kid