More Americans Misusing Illicit Painkillers...

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by DanBoone, May 29, 2009.

1. #1 DanBoone, May 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2009
    More Americans Misusing Illicit Painkillers For The First Time Than Trying Pot, Study Says

May 28, 2009 - Washington, DC, USA

\t

Washington, DC: More Americans report misusing prescription opioids than trying pot, according to a study released last week by the National Drug Intelligence Center (NDIC) and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).
    According to the report, a record 2.15 million Americans over age 12 reported misusing prescription pain relievers for the first time in 2007 (the last year for which data was available). By comparison, the study found that 2.1 million Americans reported using cannabis for the first time.
    The study reported that the total number of unintentional deaths involving prescription opioids increased 114 percent from 3,994 in 2001 to 8,541 in 2005, the most recent year for which nationwide data was available.
    Violent crime associated with the diversion and abuse of pharmaceutical painkillers has increased steadily over the past five years, the study's authors found. Researchers concluded that Americans' misuse of prescription opioids now costs taxpayers over $72 billion annually.
    Commenting on the new report, NORML Executive Director Allen St. Pierre said, "Were U.S. drug policy to be guided on science and objective harms rather than on ideology and cultural stereotypes, it is clear that the focus of America's so-called 'war' on drugs would be on Americans' widespread misuse of potentially deadly pharmaceuticals rather than on adults' occasional use of a relatively nontoxic plant that is incapable of causing human overdose."
    For more information, please contact Allen St. Pierre, NORML Executive Director, at (202) 483-5500 or Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director, at: paul@norml.org. Full text of the report, The National Prescription Drug Threat Assessment, is available online at: National Prescription Drug Threat Assessment 2009 (UNCLASSIFIED).

This is great news!

2. the guy from NORML speaks the truth. sadly the drug laws in this country are based on who has the most money to pay off politicians. addictive and damaging drugs will continue to be prescribed for things that a few hits could fix with no addiction.

3. Fucking pill heads....Yeah there's a ton of them where I live and yes they are way more violent and more crime associated with them than weed could ever have. Id have to grow a few more fingers to count all the times the pharmacies have been broken into. And don't get me started on the hoochies who will do anything for some pills.:bolt:

4. pain meds and other prescription pharmaceuticals are rampant in my area. It is probably the most abused substance right along with meth. Oddly enough, law enforcement dumps a ton of tax dollars into raiding and doing sky searches for outdoor grows while the meth monkeys are cooking this disgusting shit inside of their bath tubs and infecting and poisoning their children. But they dont even care, I mean we are talking about ppl that will cut their selves just to get a bloody scab to pick off and eat b/c of the content of methamphetamine in their blood. I just read an article in a local paper about a month ago where a man had one of the largest meth labs in the state setupo in his home and was making it out of his and other users urine. He literally had over 200 3-liter bottles of urine in his house that he was cooking up and hardening into rock to smoke. They are smoking their own fuckin piss man!! But please let me apologize for offending you while I light up this spliff to help relax me b/c I have to worry about what the ppl next door are doin or if their house is going to explode. Sorry for the wall of txt but I literally hate these pain med abusers and meth monkeys. They are some of the most unstable and dangerous ppl as well. IMO they should be placed in a closed off area or island and given as much of that shit as they can handle. Maybe then we wouldnt have to worry about as much of the crimes that come along with these ppl like theft, violence, robbery, and even murdr among others. I say let them kill theirselves out and leave this culture alone :smoking:

5. I broke my foot and a lot of people around me just like, came out of the closet and asked me if I got any Vicadin, and that they'd pay me if I got some and sold it to them.

Surprised me.

6. Same here. I'm currently recovering from surgery that I had a week ago adn the hospital prescribed me to Percocet 10 which is basically 10mg worth of oxycodone, the same substance found in strong pain killers such as Oxycontin, and MS Contin and others. Idk about you, but these fuckin things make me sick and Im supposed to take 4 a day! I only on avg. take 2 and I wouldnt take that if I could tolerate to smoke. But My surgery was on my esauphagus so inhaling now is a no-go, plus my lung capacity is not to good at the moment. But as soon as I returned home and ppl around knew what had happened, everyone wanted to ask what kind of pain pills they give you? and shit like that. I was sickened by this. I go to pick up my Rx and it was $55 for 30 pills which were only supposed to last 1 week!!!! Western medicine has gotten out of control in the U.S. I'm personally against most of the pharmacueticals in the United States but I also understand there are some worth having and some that ppl need to have. But at the same time we didnt have many of these drugs lojng ago and the average life span for us as ppl seems as it has gotten shorter so are these drugs really helping at all?