Month old questions??

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by GodsVagina, Apr 25, 2009.

1. This is my first grow and has to be kept small and cheap but soon I'd like to expand or maybe move some outside. I have 2 babies that will be a month old tomorrow. They're under two 40w flourescent bulbs(18/6), organic soil, and 10-15-10 fertilizer( was the only thing I could find). and i have a few questions.

First off they already have an odor.. more like a plant smell rather than bud but still quite noticeable. I was wondering what is the best way to mask the scent. I don't have much cash at the moment so cheap fixes are best!

Also I've noticed they've somewhat slowed down and aren't growing as fast as they were, could this be because of the insufficient lighting? or is this normal for month old plants?

I have these in a tall closet wth just enough room for two or three medium sized plants. I would like these to get 4 ft atleast and want it to have as many buds as I can get for this size. I would like to also make many clones so I can bring a few outside. So, what would be the best time to change the lighting for flowering stage and when can clones be made? Will cutting clones off effect the amount of buds produced?

I'm working on sexing them and so far I believe they maybe different sexes but this part has been the hardest for me because even though I've reasearched this I still can't tell the difference between males and females. I'm going to look around more but if anyone has some nice pictures under a magnifying glass I would love to see them. hopefully a month isn't too early to sex?

2. #2 puff, Apr 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2009
    40 watt what? Shop light? CFL? 100 watts per plant is the minimum sugested.

I love that smell - my whole house smells of it atm. If you are on the cheap build your own carbon filter and get a decent fan.http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/330714-mr-bubb-es-carbon-filter-2.html

More than likely they have slowed down cause they need a bigger pot to sit in. This is just a guess cause u have no picks posted. Insufficient lighting will slow a plant at a month but the plant will have likely fallen over by then from stretching with a 40 watt anyways. lol

4 feet is pretty high for a plant in a closet cause the light is like nonexistent at the bottom of the plant - even from a 400 watt hps so re-think that.

Make clones before you start flowering if at all posible.

Read the stickies and you will figure it all out. After that if u have questions we are all here to help.

Good luck and good growing :)

3. It's a shop light with 2 40 watt bulbs. I have two 75 watt grow lights also that I added on each side on the plants, just now.. I also figured if they were 4 feet tall these lights would help illuminate the leaves on the sides and near the bottom.

They're in their final pots to I'm not sure how big they are but Im guessing 3-4 gallons. I just read that you can cause shock to the plants roots during replanting and it causes them to put more energy towards the roots rather than leaves. so Im guessing this is the reason for the small growth last week since I re-planted them last weekend.

I know my lighting setup is probably the worst part and definately the most hassle. I would like to definately upgrade from 4 bulbs (2-40 watt, 2- 75 watt) to maybe one nice lighting fixture that doesn't cost alot in energy and is somewhat cheap. no more than $150. any suggestions?

4. If you just have a small area go for more cfl lighting. I have 2 shop lights like you and only use them to start clones. After 6 - 8 inches its all over for that kind of light anyways.
    Just get the appropriate cfls and go for it. If you start adding a hid light you will have too much heat to deal with in that confined area.

I would make as many clones as i could and then put them all outside in mid may. Just keep 1 plant in the closet for a mother. If that is what u wish.

I use to plant in a corn field that was used by an old time farmer. He always plowed around the 4th of july and never used any herbicide of any kind. look for one of those for next year. Those fields will be the ones with the weeds in them. :)