Monkeys, too, can recollect what they've seen

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Felt, Apr 29, 2011.

1. [​IMG]
    Monkeys, too, can recollect what they've seen, study suggests

smart monkeys

2. This is nothing new or surprising to me. My dog could recognize this little squirt-gun pen I had after I squirted her with it, so why wouldn't monkeys have memory?

3. Fuckin love monkeys...............:cool:

4. you know scientists

making observations, forming hypothesis, and experimenting

5. yea

my dogs are afriad of guns now even though they have never been shot at.

perhaps its the noise? or they have seen what happens to things i point it at?

either way, they not onlt know what a gun is, they know that other types of guns they havnt seen before are also guns

6. i agree dogs are really smart

it's just that some people hold the notion that animals are not intelligent. while it may seem obvious to many that this is simply not true because they are.

there are those that need to be presented arguments backed by proof and evidence demonstrating that animals in fact are intelligent

studying past relatives like the monkeys could also give scientist insight on how we act/think etc

7. You're right,ut there's also somethng else gong on here called 'anchoring', and it has to be present in us so that we can survive. A cat goes to location A and is scared by a woman with a scarf. The cat becomes imprinted and will, next time it goes back to A, be a lot more wary than it was on its first visit. It has now 'anchored' fear to the location - and to people waving cloths.

If it goes to A again later and nothing happens, over time the fear anchor will fade and location A will become attractive to it again. But, if it goes back and the same thing happens again, the original anchor will be further strengethened and the cat will feel much stronger fear. Being a stronger anchor it will also take longer to fade. The fear of flapping things, possibly of a particular colour and size, will now be quite strong in it.

If the cat goes back a third time and it happens again...etc., etc...

Cats, humans - we all create positive and negative anchors every day. Aversions to this or that food, person, situation or place, etc., or desires for this or that experience.

But, I think that what this story is saying is that monkeys aren't just showing that they respond to anchors, but that they remember things like shapes and routes to and from not just water, but the best water. It's a bit more than just responding to anchors, these are things they have to recall.

"...Unlike recognition, recall shows an ability to remember things that are not present in the moment, the researchers explained. Recall is necessary for planning and imagining and can increase the flexibility of navigation, social behavior, and other cognitive skills...."

Mind you, as above have said, they only have to watch the average pet to see the same kind of behaviour.

MelT

8. Dogs walk on four legs and cant use tools.

Monkeys can.

9. a few millennia from now some animals will have evolved and become smarter than we are right now...think about it :bongin:

10. I dont understand why science trys to make humans out like we're special.

We're the most advanced animal, thats it.

Other animals do just fine with the means they're given and survive just as well in harmony with their environment.

11. i had a border collie once....it was smarter then my first wife by far.......

12. I have one as we speak and she is the most beautiful and intelligent dog i've ever had.

SHE SPINS IN CIRCLES REALLY FAST WHEN SHE WANTS TO GO OUTSIDE!!!

13. best dog i ever had!
    you know they have the problem solving ability of a ten year old human.....;):smoke:

14. I did not but I believe it wholeheartedly haha, both of my dogs are absolutely brilliant, and when they work together, its a little scary!

Especially when they were just puppies lol, the amount of shit they got into was absurd.

15. they need a job...or they go nuts.....they have to have something to do or they get board....and just like a child ...when they get too board they find some shit to get into!;):smoke:

have you read much about them as a breed?