Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Moms beliefs on weed

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by bongsin, Sep 24, 2011.

1. So my mom was pretty much the ultimate goodie goodie in highschool and to this day hasn't had more than a taste of any alcohol, never smoked anything etc.

She hesitantly agrees that alcohol is worse for you physically, but says that while alcohol only causes problems for some, weed is a problem for anyone.

She also claims that it changes who you are and if you smoke weed you will be forever changed (personality altered etc) I said well yes while you are high and she said no it changes you forever.

Anyone know anything that would combat that?

2. It's pretty hard changing a parent's opinion on it. Get educated about it and present facts, have long discussions about it, and hope for the best.

3. Click that first link in my sig- you can find what you need! Children, Amotivational, Social adjustment, IQ....Those would be the obvious places to start. :)

These are new-

Popular intoxicants: what lessons can be learned from the last 40 years of alcohol and cannabis regulation? (abst – 2011) Popular intoxicants: what lessons can be l... [J Psychopharmacol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Alcohol and cannabis abuse/dependence symptoms and life satisfaction in young adulthood. (abst – 2011) Alcohol and cannabis abuse/dependence sympt... [Drug Alcohol Rev. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

“Stoner Stupid” Myth Goes Up In Smoke (news – 2011)
    [FONT=&quot]â€ËœStoner Stupidâ€â„¢ Myth Goes Up In Smoke | NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform

Don't just tell her, SHOW her the facts from reliable sources like PubMed and WebMD. ;)

Granny :wave:
    [/FONT]

4. To be honest, I really don't think you will be able to actually get her to let you smoke. Parents are usually very adamant on this sort of thing. If you decide to smoke anyway, just make sure you don't get caught. This will make your mother relinquish any trust she may have for you.

5. Yes you will be forever changed, changed for the better.

6. Totally untrue. Heroin is a problem for anyone. Not weed. There are plenty of famous succesful people who smoke or have smoked.

She's got a point. Some people smoke very heavily and find that they feel different then they used to, but if you're not smoking all day everyday this isn't something to worry about. And even if it did change you, who's to say these changes would be bad? I feel weed has opened my mind to some degree, made me less judgmental. I think people who smoke and are basically lazy braindead lumps had those tendencies before they smoked, and weed just reinforced that behavior.

Just my somewhat informed opinion. :wave:

7. Its gonna be hard to change people bro. I should be more agressive when it comes this stuff, but I'm just like "Fuck it" Haha

8. Your best bet would be to help show her that marijuana isn't as bad as she thinks. Storm Crow's post has great links.

But like everyone else said, its not likely for you to change somebodys mind about something that they've always known to be bad. Even if you make her realize she was wrong about certain things, she'd probably still view marijuana as being bad for you, somehow.

9. Ya it has changed me forever. I'm a nicer, cleaner, more active person who no longer drinks alcohol and sits around all day.

10. #10 tharedhead, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2011
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Birth-Heroin-Demoniza-Th-Metzger/dp/1559501774/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316901208&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Birth of Heroin & the Demoniza (9781559501774): Th Metzger, T. Metzger: Books[/ame]

It may help to discuss why your mother became a "goodie two shoes" in the first place-religious beliefs, fear of losing control, family history of addiction and abuse?