Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Mom really wants to try medical cannabis but...

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Jayjangle, Aug 31, 2012.

1. In an earlier thread I mentioned that my mom has been struggling with terrible lupus for over 20 years, and lately she has been asking me about the effects of cannabis and how it may help her. One of her students (she's a special ed teacher at an elementary school) has seizures and has been using edibles to aid it, and she is open-minded to how weed can help her, being weary of the questionable help the meds she is on are providing. I offered to provide her with all the resources necessary to help her make an informed decision.

However, her husband (not my biological father) is a business owner and absolutely hates weed. In fact, while my mom attempted to reason with my use of weed to both help with pain and motor issues caused by cerebral palsy and anxiety, he continually opposes it due to history of letting go employees based on testing positive for THC and other drugs. Don't get me wrong, he's a cool guy and has been the best husband she has had compared to her previous two (compared to even my dad), and treats her right. But at this point he would rather have her use vicodin and oxycodone to the herb.

She really wants to try cannabis in the form of edibles and oil, but she is weary of giving it a try due to the complications it might cause in her marriage. She has agreed to see if it is legalized in WA first before trying it, but has mentioned she will go after medical certification if the initiative fails. She has even asked me to show her how to properly use weed, but even so, her husband does not like this idea.

Even with adequate information on medical marijuana, his mind is made up on an opinion, and I fear no amount of convincing will change his mind. Yet, she honestly wants to try this and has even spoken to me in private about keeping her use of it either private or not discussed in everyday conversation. I am not sure how to approach this. Obviously, I am a supporter of herb but I do not want to be held responsible for causing issues with her marriage, especially given her history of bad marriages. So what is the right thing to do?

2. motherfucker thats your MOM, don't let some fucking asshole come in and tell her that she can't use a medicine that will help her. thats so dumb show him documentries and have your mom say" we'll if you won't let me do it then you might of well just leave me or fucking sit there and throw a immature fit about it", because thats what I really think it is all about isthat old dude is immature and knows nothing about marijuana

3. if Her "Husband" is Against something that might help her. His a Stupid Dick.
    Edit: Show Him The Onion.

4. fuck that show him The Union:The Buisness Behind Getting High
    Edit:lol sorry you probably meant the union lol Im high

5. I've always read it the Onion.. Well Hmm, Thats cool too.

6. have them sit down and show him all the facts on its medical uses and talk about it in a mature way have him state all the reasons he doesn't want her to use cannabis maybe even have him write them down go through the list and talk things over im sure some of the stuff on his list can be reasoned with and or proven wrong with research.

7. This!

Can't be anymore blunt than that fuck politically correct.

hahaha

U got me goin G

8. I agree with you guys, but I also understand all the pain she has endured through the previous two marriages that have failed. I absolutely support and love my mom, and because of that I am conflicted about what to suggest based on this. He is a indeed a bit narrow but he does love my mom, and I'm sure he would at least agree to disagree regarding this if/when she agrees to try it, if indeed she shows she can use it without becoming distant from him.

I have told her she does not need to be absolutely blazed to feel the relieving effects of the herb. I mean, they have both agreed to at least tolerate my own [legal] use of it regarding my symptoms, but it is really different in regards to her use of it. I just don't know how to make this go in the right direction with her.

What would probably happen is she would gain medical recommendation (I don't know how she wouldn't be able to get it, considering I have friends who have gotten it for small things, and she is in a lot of pain and has piles of medical records to prove it), and I would be with her on her first use. I would have her take a few bites of a special brownie and wait 30 minutes or so, and gauge how she feels before advising using more. Because my first high was somewhat scary, I would be there to let her know everything is OK and to ride the new sensation, even if I did not get high in the process.

In this situation, talk is easy but action is another matter, I fear. :(

9. This is different tho man, I know were not talking about life and Death. But its like you want your mom to live a pain free life. I had heart problems for 18 years worse pain of my life. and it only got worse as i grew. The herb made that go away and take some stress with it. I was terrified of trying it. my friends said it would help and it did. and my family backed me up on it. Because it helped me live a more relaxing painfree life. And of course her first high might be somewhat Scary but what isnt a little bit scarey the first time you try it. Support your mom with her decision. Shes the only one you'll ever have

10. get youre mom some strains that might help and let her try it out in very small doses like 1 or 2 hits to see if it works,i reccomend vaping as thats what my doctor reccomended for me since smoking is bad for you

11. Who said her husband has to know?

12. if he loves youre mom then he shouldnt care imo.if its important to youre mom to increase her quality of life than that is up to her and noone else should judge her since noone is going through what she is.if he would judge her just for trying to improve her life than that is a little controlling considering youre in a medical state and its perfectly legal to do so

13. Sounds like a tough situation, it might be best to go with a "lesser of two evils" approach in your discussion, and maybe prepare some info on the pros/cons of cannabis vs drugs like vicodin etc.
    Considering the lack of negative side effects, its remarkable how well the herb measures up.

14. These might help - show him that it IS helpful in Lupus.

Systemic Lupus Erythematosus by Lisa Swiderski (anecdotal - undated)
    Systemic Lupus Erythematosus by Lisa Swiderski

Lupus by Randi Cox (anecdotal – undated)
    Lupus by Randi Cox

Cannabis May Suppress Immune System (news - 2003)
    Cannabis May Suppress Immune System

Systemic Lupus by Dawn (anecdotal - 2005) Erowid Experience Vaults: Cannabis - Systemic Lupus - 49481

Suppression of human macrophage interleukin-6 by a nonpsychoactive cannabinoid acid. (abst - 2008) Home - PubMed - NCBI

Plaquenil, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus and Marijuana (Cannabis) (news – 2010)
    Plaquenil, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus and Marijuana (Cannabis) | MCSocal

15. This and also she is a grown damn woman it is her choice.

i lold

16. None of y'all are factoring in his mom's relationship. If any of you have been in a loving relationship with someone, you'd realize it's a tougher to deal with than just, durrrrr disobey your loving husband and cause horrific strife. My girlfriend hates that I smoke. It's a bitch to hide. I sometimes consider quitting just to bring her some joy.

17. ye but everyones in control of their own lives and since its perfectly legal(they live in a med state)there is no reason anyone should be looked down at because they choose 1 medication over another.does he have this feeling toward all prescription medications as well such as painkillers and benzos etc?it depends on if youre mom wants to let someone boss her around and be in pain or feel better(in the case that mmj works for her) and deal with a pissy ignnorant husband(thats if she wants to tell him at all).i know ppl that suffer from lupus and it sucks,it drains you and makes you depressed.i cant imagine someone that would want someone to feel that way jusst because they dont like the medicine they take.

18. He may be her husband, but that doesn't mean he should be allowed to control that. She's a grown adult and she can make her own choices. My mother has lupus as well and marijuana certainly helped her, but unfortunately, the opiates pretty much ruined her. She's scared to smoke now because she got so addicted to those little synthetic fuckers.

Your stepfather needs to learn to at least tolerate her using MMJ if it is helping her. Feel free to tell him that my mom suffers from Lupus and that opiates did more harm than good. Granny Storm Crow has a plethora of great info on lupus and marijuana.

19. The Onion is a satirical news site and is something completely different lol :p

20. Hi :wave:

First I'm sorry your mommy has to deal with the pain she is in... Hearing about people that are in pain w/o a cure breaks my heart.

Your mom is the one in pain, your mom would have to deal with possibly getting hooked on those pain killers and dealing w any side effects. So really If she says she still wants to try it to help relieve her pain after she's done research and seen it work first hand for her student then screw her husband. Some people are stuck in their ways and their views on cannabis. It's not like your mom is like "fuck this shit fire up a doobie!"

Also maybe after she has been eating edibles for a month or so and reveals it to her husband that she's been using cannabis for pain and he can see how much better she feels he will ease up on opposing it. If he really loves her and she says she is happy using it and it helps her pain he will be happy she found something that works for her. Maybe there will be a happy ending here.

Good luck to your mommy and your fam :)