Mom drives me insane

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Gavlar, May 3, 2010.

1. Okay basically I went to college last year after leaving school in my 2nd last year with some okay results. I really just went to college to do something for the year and did Business as I've always been interested in working for myself rather than someone else!

Anyways half way through this course I came in after having a doobie in my lunch break. So sitting there and I think to myself, Hang on these people here are telling you how to run a business yet they are sitting here teaching it to a bunch of kids. WTF? So i clenched my teeth and completed the course to keep my mom happy (Who's a single parent. I'm 19 by the way and my dad died when I was 8 so he's not in the picture).

So after completing college I decided to take a year out to decide what I wanted to do with my life. A year later and I still have no real ideas other than I want to setup on my own and money I make is all mine rather than working for someone else which I'm currntly doing. (Just work as a Kitchen Porter in a small restaurant).

Point of me typing all this is over the last year my mom has been constantly nagging me to do something with my life, This being anything other than what I'm doing. I reckon this is down to her being embarressed that I've not gone on to university like most of her friends sons but it's just not for me. I've applied for a few apprenticeships but haven't heard anything back from them and had my applications denied so many times. It's just everyday now she is at me to "do something with my life". It's as if she thinks I just can't be bothered.

Anyone else in the same position or have any decent advice for me. I'm not the most academic of people by the way and enjoy using my hands so there's no chance I could hack another year of college (for something book based).

Cheers GC

2. No offense dude, but she's doing the right thing, even you know you need to find out what to do with your life, she is just trying to motivate you.

3. Yeah I guess that's true. But it's all she ever talks to me about now. We haven't had a proper conversation in months!

4. my dad is the same way. and he is currently unemployed so its really ironic and hypocritical but i can see where they are coming from man. they just dont want us to make mistakes maybe that they have made (im speaking about our parents in general) but just keep your head up and get through school or work, whatever you are currently doing, until you can move out on your own and pursue your own life at your pace.

5. Im in the same boat as you, I've just finished my second year of college..Im 20..but Ive decided to take a year or two off and live on my own..Im not a big fan of school and I have only been going just to satisfy them..Im getting 2 jobs this summer (already have one) and Im goin to move down to the beach at September where i can hopefully be a beach lifeguard..its not a permanent thing its just more like a break..plus i will be living with my friend and we can smoke up at our own leisure..i cant wait..but my parents are both huge advocates for school and there not down with me on my decision...oh well

6. Yeah my mum is also unemployed and has been for years. She gets a nice pension from the company my dad used to work for before he passed away but uses the excuse of "I'm a full time mother" on me. Which really f*cks me off at how hypocritical she can be.

7. Military

8. #8 SkImmIngdaSky, May 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2010
    Yea man. I think everyone1s mom drives them insane. But, honestly she just wants to see the best for you. My mom doesn't have a college degree and she makes good money, but it just isn't like it was back n the day. More jobs require a college degree or a shitload of experience.

I hate school! But, I have 1 more year left and I'm grinding through it the best I can b/c I don't know what else I can do. You need education unless you have a solid plan. (Like movin to Cali nd growin trees:) lol)

Have you considered another major? Or vocational/technical school? I hope you pull through. I know you hate it lol. Just try, get your degree and walk across that stage. And smoke a fat 1 when you do, cause I know you'll make it man.
    I hope that makes sense, nd good luck in w/e you do!

9. #1. Uh, you're in college and confused about educators with Masters and Doctorate degrees (most with real-world Executive experience too, especially in Business), and you're actually questioning why they're "teaching it to a bunch of kids"? Uh, YOU sound like a kid saying that. What the hell audience did you expect as a Freshman/Sophomore in an undergrad class, 40 year-olds that are bored of making six figures in the real world?

#2. You took a year off to "decide what you wanted to do with my life". Now you're wondering why your mother is nagging you to do something with your life when she was probably the one who put a roof over your head while you took a year-long "vacation" to immense yourself in deep thought about your future? I'm thinking there's a justified reason for her nagging.

#3. My advice? Finish college. If you really want to run your own business, you're going to need to know how to do it right. Yeah, there are a handful of success stories of millionaire college dropouts, but the other 95% of successful businessmen are educated businessmen (undergrad and MBA). Also remember that it's going to take some time and capital to get started with your own business, and in the meantime, a college degree will land you a decent job and give you some experience on how to start your own and hopefully save up some capital to get started.

Sorry for my sarcasm earlier, but in some ways, you really need to look at life a bit more realistically. Remember that 50% of startups fail in the first five years, so you better do a lot of prep work to give yourself better than 50/50 odds.