Molecular level

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by GrabTheMic, Jul 1, 2012.

1. I'm pretty stoned, and my friend and I were talking about bongs, perculators, splitting up the bubbles, but I want to know if anyone knows what goes on in the bong at a molecular level. thc's affect on the hydrogen bongs in water. etc. anything that explains what goes on at the molecular level. just curious

2. The hydrogen bongs in water?

:laughing:

Some London Dispersion forces, a little bit of heat diffusion.

3. Lol..theres not a whole lot going on inside a bong..smoke is sucked through water, theres isnt any splitting of chemical bonds if thats what your saying. You'd be suprised at how little filtering water even does.

4. Hydrogen bonds.
    the bond between water molecules that gives water surface tension.
    its not splitting the water molecules but separating the bonds between the molecules (thats why it bubbles out instead of being absorbed into the water.)

5. THC has a very, very, VERY low water solubility, so hardly anything. The most that the water is doing is splitting up the smoke, therefore filtering it, and with the same action cool the smoke by dispersing the heat along the surface of the water.

6. #6 gtx1, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2012
    If you take out the bonds of a molecular structure, then you split the structure. Thats like taking the nails, glue, and foundation from a home and expecting it to stay stable in a hurricane.

Take chemistry man.

7. #7 kliff2004, Jul 2, 2012

Hydrogen bonding isn't actaully a bond, like we think of with Ionic bonds or vander walls forces ( I don't feel like spelling that correct lol)

The true nature of hydrogen atoms in water is that they switch between Oxygen atoms.

There isn't a set hydrogen connected to a set Oxygen, they are always interchanging.

Next.

The surface tension of the water is affected by the tar that does get left behind from the bong smoke.

Its not the THC.

These tar residue actually increases the strength of the water tension.

But not because its bonding with the water or not, its just sticky substances itself that also has to be broken apart when bubbles pass through it.

8. The idea is so pass smoke through water to separate water soluble molecules from THC. Unfortunately, some THC is also trapped in the water. Some studies even say that more THC is absorbed than carcinogens are, and that bongs are actually detrimental to a tar-thc ratio. (I don't see how that can be possible, considering we all believe bongs hits are smooth, but still have the kick of THC)
    Adding percolators, diffused downstems, etc. creates more bubbles. More bubbles means more surface area for the smoke to touch water, therefor better filtration.

9. Thats because all these stoners opinons are subjective and are not based on scientific fact.

It's irrelevant that bongs do infact remove some THC.

Because a dude that takes a huge bong his is gonna get fucked up regardless. And he's just gonna say he got fucked up. Just like a guy that takes a huge hit from a bowl, and will just say, hes fucked up.

It's impossible to compare other peoples experiences, we can only deal in what is measurable.

The amount of THC removed from the water and the glass is miniscule and isn't enough to result in cognitive awareness that you've in fact, gotten less THC.

10. #10 gtx1, Jul 2, 2012
    Err.

Hydrogen IS attached to a SPECIFIC oxygen atom. It has to. If what you are stating is correct, then water would have to be possible with only a singular oxgen atom, a hydrogen(1) and oxygen atom, and 2 hydrogen atoms and a single oxygen. If the bonds aren't real and are just a phenomena then theoretically the bonds of the hydrogen atoms wold be able to leave at any time, therefore killing the water molecule and producing hydrogen and oxygen separately.

Bonds cannot just start and stop allowing the atoms to freely float to other molecular structures. If this happened, then any water anywhere in the world would constantly be breaking down/forming into hydrogen, oxygen, and H2O without any hint of evaporation or electrolysis(the way you go about removing hydrogen atoms from oxygen, it's how a fuel cell works in hydrogen powered cars).

Which we all know isn't happening. Here's some source information, head to the bottom for the actual text citations.

Water Chemistry

11. ? That was redundant. You're not consuming less THC, you're consuming more since the water pipe made the smoke more potent.... that's the whole point.

12. [quote name='"redechelon"']

? That was redundant. You're not consuming less THC, you're consuming more since the water pipe made the smoke more potent.... that's the whole point.[/quote]

No pipe can ever make the smoke more "potent" thats just silly

13. #13 kliff2004, Jul 2, 2012
    You're taking the concept out of context, and you should re-quote me cause I edited my post.

Whether you decide to believe me or not doesn't matter.

If you want to say "hydrogen bonds are weak bonds that result between a hydrogen atom of one molecule of water, and an oxygen atom of another water molecule"

You will get full credit on your test answer.

But the higher up you go in understanding science, the more odd little gray areas you find out about.

You're thinking of what I said in the wrong context.

I said, water molecules share hydrogen atoms.

I didn't say that the hydrogen atoms aren't connected to the oxygen, or that they break their bonds and form new bonds constantly.

You've made an illogical extension of what I said by making the example of

Molecules are tricky, and they do not stay in the same place all the time.

You need to understand the nature of molecules as a whole to understand that there is something slightly more complex going on with hydrogen bonds than what you learned in high school or Chem 101.

If you ask a high school kid what a hydrogen bond is, you will get a certain type of answer.

If you ask a college kid what a hydrogen bond is, you will get a certain type of answer.

If you as Dr. Michu Kaku what a hydrogen bond is, you will get a certain type of answer lol.

And it will be much different than the college students answer.

Since Dirt posted in this thread, and may come back and shit talk me.

I'm not trying to be condescending, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm not trying to make you feel stupid.

I do not assert the position that, because I may have a higher education than you, that my opinion is inherently more valid.

14. Kliff, I've never shit talked you.

I've pointed out some silly things you've said, but never ridiculed you.

15. #15 kliff2004, Jul 2, 2012
    Whats done is done.

I just need to leave a disclaimer in case anyone tries to give me a hard time.

You've asserted in the past that because of my educational and job background, that I look down people.

Or I come off that way.

And thats fucking not true.

So I leave a disclaimer when I see people posting in threads, whom have had differences in opinions about me.

And your friends with people that do, and when you guys get together in a group, you dont behave in a way you do when on your own.

Except shitloaf. he just a dick to me constantly now.

16. Oh, not silly in this thread, silly in many others.

You've been spot on in here, so I'll try not to flame you.