Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

moldy hash? BHO or edibles

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by DrLingIsKing, Nov 17, 2011.

1. hey blades, my caregiver gave me a bunch of free hash, there is one big chunk (about 4 G's) that has mold on it i was going to just throw it away but i was wondering if i could make edibles or BHO with it an be okay.

2. Don't cook with moldy shit.

3. Right on thanks man, the spores aren't good to eat either? (rather than smoke) figured the stomach acid would take care of them. Do you know anything about makng BHO though? maybe i should google this lol.

4. I can't tell you 100% but I think the bho process would probably kill the spores. At the very least you would have a lot less mold in the BHO than you did in the hash.

Making BHO is fairly easy. Do it outside the house if you can. Theres plenty of u tube videos on making BHO.

5. Sweet thanks, ya i have made it before with low grade weed thanks brotha!

6. Normally, I would say throw it out. But if you're really compelled to use it....

Use a high proof grain alcohol to extract your potency, then after you've strained it from the plant matter, use heat to evaporate it faster rather than letting it dissipate slowly in the open air. Some people feel it is ok to us Iso/rubbing alcohol for making concentrates that you intend to eat, just so long as you evaporate all the alcohol. I prefer grain (drinking) alcohol for my patients.
    Once that's finished, you'll have a concentrate, and if heated for long enough after evaporation, it should also be activated. Process this with coconut oil, or clarified butter as directed below, to promote bioavailability/absorption.

Once you have your potent, bioavailable hash oil, after all the alcohol and heat exposure, this is probably the safest way to consume your moldy material.

Smoking just the concentrate, may potentially still allow spores into your lungs. The odds of that occurring are very, incredibly small... you'd probably be fine. But those odds are still higher, than having active spores present after the secondary exposure to heat during the oil process. Consuming mold for digestion is also known to be safer than the inhalation of spores, so a second heating and consumption rather than smoking, is probably your best bet.

--------------

Process your concentrate as directed in the tutorial below, keeping in mind it will periodically need manual agitation (pressing, and stiring the solid hashy 'lump' with a spoon, exposing it to the oil) to free up sticky, stubborn glandular material. The first page of the below thread focuses on hash, but the process is basically the same.

To learn how to make this (or your trimmings...)

[​IMG]

Into, this...

[​IMG]

See the link below:

(First Page, contains detailed information on decarboxylation, or cannabinoid conversion..
    decarboxylation is the process of activating your cannabinoids 'potency' by removing the
    carboxyl group in the form of carbon dioxide and water vapor, converting your cannabinoids
    from their acid, to their more potent delta forms):

Photo Tutorial: Highly Activated Med Grade Bioavailable Canna & Hash Oil, Edibles, Drinkables and more...

7. Holy shit thanks dude! That is like all the info i need right their! And ya your right we usually run our trimmings through iso and then use a hotplate to evaporate all the alcohol off, get some thick black oil shit, pain in the ass to work with but it gets you soo baked, anyway i have also heard it is unsafe to smoke the iso hash, is that true? Guessin the other shit they put in it so you dont drink it is probably pretty toxic, and do you recommend any particular brand of grain alcohol or is anything good.

Sorry about all the questions, but i'm really curious and am most likely going to do this.

8. Excellent! I was going to ask a similar question and was "secretly" hoping BKS would answer it for me. I just went to put some drying bud into jars to cure and noticed significant mold on two of the biggest buds in the middle of, and a little tuft on a smaller chunk at the edge of the drying screen. Seems wasteful to waste so much good and potent medicine, especially since I basically just grow my own supply and it is rather low at the moment. The process Ms.Smiles suggests is the confirmation by a respected authority of this novices instinct.