Mold Prevention??

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by cram5671, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Im more surprised its not all known on mj growing for how wide spread ppl who grow it

2. Its more common in humid areas and hydro grows that don't have good air flow and air exchange.

3. 100% true. I have my horses round hay bales out in the open so water sinks through and no wind can get into it. When i pull it apart to feed them BAM (emeril legasse style) mildew spores everywhere! That shit spreads fast and colonizes fast in favorable conditions

4. Most of what I learned about PM was from a guy named Bud who owns a grow shop and also has a degree in horticulture. He said the PM spores are everywhere floating around in the air.

5. Doesnt surprise me. Wish the stuff would go away

6. Luckily its mostly dry and hot out here not ideal forpm. I have only dealt with it in our wet cold winters here in Nor Cal.

7. #27 CL4P-TP, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2013
     Milk is supposed to treat PM...ONLY!!!!  it you try it on mold you'll just get more mold. google "milk to prevent mold" if you don't believe me, you'll not find one hit ..but lots of Milk vs Powdery Mildew hits. and I've used it with shitty results.. from buttermilk to skim,from 50/50 to "1 part-10part" never seen it make a difference except stinking up the grow site. Now serenade ..that stuff ive seen work. too bad it smells like a douche. but the acid ( ph change) and whatever bacillus is in it, do seem to turn the tide..and for organic bottled shit it's pretty cheap ( concentrate form)

OP is asking about mold http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botrytis_cinerea.... not PM http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powdery_mildew. so what the fuck guys?

dehumidifier ? unscented cat litter? this is outdoors. :poke: ;)

the best preventions I've found for mold ( bud rot, stem rot, etc) are Actinovate, an open plant that allows good air flow, and a clean grow area ( clean up your weeds , trash, and trimmings as you go )EDIT: the latter 2 being the most important

as for cure ive only found one... lopping shears. cut out the offending parts before it spreads.

Local Conditions: RH is +60% year around, 70+ inches of rain per year, and a marine layer that keeps the sun at bay till noon each day( but doesn't stop it reaching 60 by 10AM).

8. What would mold being doing on a plant...soil yes not on the plants though

9. #29 CL4P-TP, Aug 19, 2013
    back to the beginners section 4 U........

10. You have to take control of your humidty, and air circulation if you're having mold problems. 

11. Ill pass......... Im beyond a beginner

12. #32 CL4P-TP, Aug 19, 2013
    not by much it would seem.

http://forum.grasscity.com/general/1237016-scissors-choice.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/1237311-need-some-help-figuring-out-how-many-jars-ill-need.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/1238302-having-hard-time-using-molasses.html

all journeyman questions for sure :rolleyes: :wacko: .......

300 + posts in 30 days does not make you exactly fit to play plant doctor....especially when you cannot identify a Calcium or Magnesium deficiency ....or should I say lack there of?

http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-plants-problems/1236454-sick-plants-need-help-fast.html

sadly since they took rep away, we only have "ye olde sayings" to prove our worth here in the City

like " when in doubt, whip it out.", or a "picture is worth a thousand words"

EDIT: shit those pics are big!!! slow connects & mobiles..you've been warned. sorry, i'll edit next time.

Attached Files:

13. #33 CL4P-TP, Aug 19, 2013
    Now you can take this rebuke as an affront to your morale & social standing, decide to rage quit, leaving us bereft of your presence(The City will crumble I assure you :laughing: ).

OORRR.... you can take it as a lesson in an effort to create a better grower. no different then a young pup, thinking they can get to the marrow better then an old grey muzzle, you just got bitten back to the porch. I'd suggest slowly coming down off the porch and watching the old dogs & ladies( we aint got no bitches in The City) work..maybe learn a thing or two. :bongin:

I'm hoping for the latter, as those 5 gallon Lowes buckets you've got, actually look pretty damn good . and I for one cant wait to see what you do with a couple Smart Pots.

14. Oh looky meds do grow in the sand in the Great Wet North lol    What strains are working best for you??

15. Are you out to get me? Make me feel bad? Something to do with my post count? I dont even know you

And i like i asking questions. Does that offend you or give you the right to call me a beginner? Good for you you can grow big plants, if i could outdoor like that i coukd also! Go take your epenis and go bug soneone else

16. made me ROTFLMAO. I never said they don't, just that it is a bit harder to pull off here, then in nor. cali.( which for some reason meant I was bagging on N.Cali growers skillz.......I wasn't :confused_2: )

yup they do, but you gotta be strain conscience.

Timewarp, Purple maroc ( the budding pic is of her), Vanilla Kush, and my Vanilla Kush x Timewarp hybrid have been favorites.

the VK x TW finally got mited to death, with no decent seed stock. so I've got QTxTW F2s trying to fill that gap this year. they're looking good enough next year may be 75% Qrazy Train X Timewarp F2s ( gotta have some selection outdoors or accept no harvest some years)looking for F3 parents now that i've seen the phenos operate outdoors. Thin leafed, early flowering( timewarp traits) coupled with purple, and that QT champagne taste. :bongin: :smoking: :metal:

have 6 of Mandala's California Dreaming   out there too. all twins up till flower then 2 are real stretchers the other 4 were no stretchers. no clue on mold resistance, but being mandala I'm prolly screwed as their stuff is usually fairly dense. but they're marketing it as an outdoor plant, so I'm hopeful. regardless of the name ;)

other then that my Sour Diesel F2s ( Cali Con x Rez Dog..why choose one, you can have both)  is looking like she'll finish by Oct 1st. and is huge ..so, FUCK YEAH !!

also have a late planted WWxBB that is flowering very nicely ( a QTxTW was under performing) ..so she's on the list next year

now the Cosmic Brain, Mt Hood Huckleberry( x 2), and 818 Headband...glad I got cuts for indoors,  cause these slow flowering, Indica leaning beasts will more then likely become canna butter, when the botrytis sets in.

got pics of the whole season, but gonna do my journal in one big swoop this year ...in an attempt to keep me from getting bored/distracted and abandoning it. :cry: :huh:

@ OP, sorry for the off topic posts. :(

@ T.I.M.1, no I'm trying to get you to learn, before you try to teach, that is all.

17. Teach to learn and learn to teach

Go hand in hand

18. I just had some
    Mold lately for the first time and found it really hard to spot...

19. #39 BrassNwood, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2013
    Somehow the idea of spraying milk onto my bud just sounds wrong.. after reading countless threads on Powdery Mildew the mildest form of control is Potassium Bicarbonate.. a close relative of Sodium Bicarbonate but not a salt.. Like other products it changes the surface PH to inhibit PW growth and can be used up to day of harvest.. Has done the job on my outside grow.. got mine at the local Hydroponic store..

http://compare.ebay.com/like/251198087244?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar this is the stuff..

Yes I know the OP was on mold but the subject of PM came up...

20. Yeah some of us goofed and assumed he was talking about PM. I have a small tub of that Green Cure. Where I live PM is rare on outdoor grows but I use it weekly on our indoor winter grows.