Mold Prevention??

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by cram5671, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Hey guys so where I'm at I usually have to pull according to when the mold kicks in which really sucks because I would love to get that last 10-14 days in.

So what I'd like to know is everyones mold prevention methods, it would really help me out. Thanks!

2. Im in a self made greenhouse that gets real humid so I run 4 fans 24/7. other than that I just watered with actinovate. ormi organic and supposed to work good. other than that i have no idea.

3. hmm never heard of this, good info thank you

4. Spraying act teas as a foliar spray during veg should help. It helps put good bacteria in place so bad bacteria can't take over.

I've also known people who used a hydrogen peroxide spray for PM and had good results with that.

5. since veg just ended here I guess the teas are out lol... I have heard of the peroxide use, but im a little sketched out by spraying anything on bud and increasing moisture.. any chance you know the measurment per gallon for the peroxide? I'm sure i can look it up.

6. ACTINOVATE is supposed to work as a systemic for all kinds of molds and mildew and supposedly you can spray on vegetables right up to harvest...I would never. its some kind of strep bacteria that eats other bacteria and strengthens roots.. i watered with it a week ago and the plants seemed to love it. I really dont know how good the stuff is because its all new to me and i have never used anything else

7. Demudifier, some unscented cat litter, something to help absorb moisture out of the air. If your problem is with powdery mildew that really sucks. There is no cure for it. There are some home remedies that you can mix up and some that you can purchase. Dilluted milk or high PH`d water sprays help raise the PH levels on the surface of the leaves to help prevent a plant from getting PM or prevent PM spores from growing on the leaves if already infected. Sulpher burners while in veg also help to. Its easier to prevent or controll in veg but in flower it can be a major pain in the ass. PM is a systemic plant disease there are also products that you can water with to help controll or prevent it.

8. I'm starting to worry about mold a little myself as nymph guerrilla grow progresses. I'm just trying to keep the inside of the plant cleared out some so it can breath and keep a very close eye on everything.

9.  hydrogen peroxide is good so is baking soda and 2% or non fat milk work also..  All 3 will help keep it at bay till you do some picking

10. I have been thinking about trying apple cider vinegar and see what that does

11. fuck milk ..it makes ur plants smell bad ...go with baking soda or lemon juice with a drop or 2 of dish soap

12. These are all temporary and limited-result fixes.  Like tplat said, there is no cure for pm.  The best way to avoid pm is by growing your plants in a different location from the previous year. 

13. No but when your late in flower then you can do this  or  waste all of your work

14. This has always worked well for me in the past with problems inflower and it dissaptes quickly canuse up to one week from chop no problem. IMG_20130818_104610.jpg

15. #16 aPersonUponaHill, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
    I would probably find something safe to act as a desiccant. Careful some are poisonous.

From wiki

desiccant is a hygroscopic substance that induces or sustains a state of dryness (desiccation) in its vicinity. Commonly encountered pre-packaged desiccants are solids that absorb water. Desiccants for specialized purposes may be in forms other than solid, and may work through other principles, such as chemical bonding of water molecules. They are commonly encountered in foods to retain crispness. Industrially, desiccants are widely used to control the level of water in gas streams.

16. I've done a lot more research since this thread was started, and I've found out that milk, hydrogen peroxide, and baking soda all work in pretty much the same way, by raising the ph on the leaves to make an inhospitable environment for the mold. The interesting thing is, Milk is proven in studies to be the most effective, which leads me to believe that it's not just the ph change that helps. I think the active cultures in milk help fight the mold, just the same as eating yogurt can fight a yeast infection.

Bottom line, I had my first bad bought of PM this season and the milk sprays I did alternated with neem sprays killed the mold no problem. In flowering, milk would be the best option.

17. They say the protein in milk effects the way the mildew works

18. I just hit 3 autos with hydrogen peroxide and will pick them in 2 days

19. Interesting. I'll have to read about that more. It's pretty cool how far the science of growing has come.