Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

MOLD on pot - photos

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Lebowski, May 29, 2008.

1. Great info! as a noob smoker, it's good to know to keep an eye out for things like this. The close-up pics help alot too!
    +rep

2. Run your moldy buds in bubble bags.The mold on the Marijuana is smaller than 25 micron so it just falls through the bags to the bottom.I have ran moldy trim once and seen dozens of skilled growers run there molded buds through bags and produce bubble hash with no mold.

3. #63 Lebowski, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008

I very much agree, especially with powdery mildew. Its already so hard to spot when it is visible, i'm sure i've missed it on numerous batches. I also agree there could be an infestation that is not yet visible to the naked eye or camera.

And I also agree i'll still be avoiding it if I see it.

That sounds like a bad idea. You're not going to remove all the spores from the hash, sifting with wet screens doesnt do a 100% complete job, they leave behind some of the stuff that was supposed to fall through.
    And then on top of that water is the #1 thing mold needs to proliferate, so when you go to dry that hash it will probably grow more mold on it than it originally had.

---
    Also mods, ty very much for the sticky.

4. so how do you avoid mold ?

5. I've never grown anything so I can't explain completely.

The most I know is that powdery mildew, the type shown in my original post in this thread, is caused by improper ventilation which leads to too much humidity. It can happen while the plants are growing, while they are drying, and even once they're dried and cured, if they're left out in a humid environment they will start to grow the mold.
    This also explains why powdery mildew is mostly found on the top of the leaves- the tops of the leaves usually curl up and get pressed against the bud, and they form a small pocket of humid air right there.

If any growers would like to contribute with their experiences with mold that would be fantastic.

6. well i dont personally grow or anything, i was just trying to figure out the best way to keep my stash mold-free
    ive always kept it in a pill bottle, and i dont think its ever molded, but now im having second thoughts lol

7. I DO NOT advocate smoking moldy bud....but remember- every time you breathe, you're inhaling mold spores, bacteria, and other particles from the air. Human beings can live fine with trace amounts of crap in them, that's what immune systems are for. So to the folks trying to clean the mold off or break off the moldy parts: be careful, you never know....
    And I bet that burning mold makes some nasty-ass chemicals that I still wouldn't want in me though.
    Fuck that. Throw it out! :D

8. Id agree. Just trash anything that looks like it could have mold. I dont wanna take my chances just to get high.

9. i'v smoked weed with mold that looked like that on it. i just didn't think anything of it and smoked it anyway. no problems yet, no lung infections or anything.

10. I understand your take on it.I was just saying what I have seen/beed told from very skilled growers.I have seen Bubble that was made from Moldy buds.I inspected it with my 100x microscope and didnt see any mold.I have done this several times and not seen mold.I would put links up to another growing furom so I could show you some Bubble made with moldy buds and the growers words but I tihnk its against the furom rules.

I have lso seen someone go a step further and Iso there bubble that they made from moled buds.I dont know what that would do but I thought I would just ad that also.

11. Lebowski, exactly how hard is it to spot this mold? After reading this thread, I start to occasionally freak out when I look at my bud's trichs and see some raised milky ones.

12. YOUR QUITE WELCOME LEB!

LET ME SAY I GOT SO SKEEVED OUT SEEING ALL THE "MITES" UHH RRKK EEKK EWWH :eek:

13. Powdery mildew is really, really hard to spot. Unless its a huge infestation, it only shows up in a few areas, sometimes it will only be on 1 spot on an entire nug too.
    It tends to like to grow on the topsides of the leaves in the nugs.

Basically, if you notice areas that are whiter than the rest of the bud, check them out with a good magnifying glass.
    I have frequently thought I had powdery mildew, but upon closer inspection its a bunch of milky trichomes. (I use a magnifying glass or the camera).

Also keep in mind, powdery mildew is so hard to spot that I'll guarantee you most of all of us have probably smoked it several times without knowing. Its not terrible for you, you can smoke it, though if it's present enough for me to visually see it on the nug from a distance, than I wont smoke that nug.

14. This is my Diesel Ryder about 10 days from harvest. I have grown several of the auto-flowering strains in my AeroGarden w/ excellent results. But, I have never had this problem before.

At the base of the plant, there is a white powdery substance. I don't know if this is mold or mildew or just nutrient accumilation on the sponge. I also noticed that a few of the leaves looked like they have a few small patches that are heavily covered with trichs, but also look like something else.

I have become a bit paranoid after reading this thread.

I have never experienced this, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

First pic is of the base where the stem meets the sponge. The other pictures are of leaves that seem to have a little "something" going on.

Attached Files:

15. Thanks for sharing kbfl0912.

Looking at those photos, I can't make a call.

The white accumulations on the leaves do look like the beginnings of powdery mildew, but to be able to tell you 100% i'd need a slightly closer photo.

I'd say 70% chance that that is powdery mildew. Its in PM's favorite spot- tops of leaves, and the growth looks to be smaller than the trichs which PM is.
    If its the case, its a humidity problem. I dont grow so I don't know the details exactly, but high humidity causes PM.

Otherwise, those are some beautiful thick trichome fields you've got going there. A few weeks more and it'll be perfect eh?

16. #77 kbfl0912, Sep 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2008
    Here are some closer pictures of the questionable white stuff. They look to me like really tiny trichomes....I have never seen this before. They are kind of uniform on the leaf too, in segments. So, either this is just how this particular strain looks, or is this powdery mildew? And, if so, Since I am about 10-14 days away from harvest, what impact will this have on the bud....I have not seen anything strange on the buds, but I guess it could be inside. Should I assume it is?

You can barely see it with the naked eye. My husband thinks I'm crazy when pointing it out. Also, the leaves are not as dark as they appear in the picture. It is just the angle of the light.

The more I look at it, they really do look like tiny, tiny trichomes. I have no idea what powdery mildew looks like close up, so I don't know.

Attached Files:

17. ^Those look like trichomes with their mushroom shape. LOL at that plant that is only like 5 inches tall. "10 days from harvest" looks more like 10 days into flowering with a ton of trichs.

18. My dad told me that you can kill all of the mold on pot using an ultraviolet or full spectrum light. Right now I am facing a situation where I would much rather try alternatives to pitching a significant amount of weed. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :confused:

19. Saw this on Wikipedia, sounded interesting:

In order to kill microorganisms, especially mold, the scientists "Levitz and Diamond (1991) suggested baking marijuana in home ovens at 150 C [302 F], for five minutes before smoking. Oven treatment killed conidia of A. fumigatus, A. flavus and A. niger, and did not degrade the active component of marijuana, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)."[54]