Mold on peat pots

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by limpy L, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Hey guys..

I have a 2x2x5 ft grow room for vegging. I was able to get it to 60-70% humidity with a warm humidifier with temps in the mid 70's. from what I have read that is considered perfect conditions. I have 4 small plants under an air cool 400w tube about 4 weeks from seeds.

I noticed today I have mold growing on the outsides of my peat pots.. I am going to transplant but my question is..

Should I use peat pots with the high humidity or should I transplant into plastic 3 gallon pots?

Thanks

2. From germating they are about 6 weeks old.. I am almost 100% sure it is mold.. It is white and "furry".

What should be the ideal conditions??

3. #4 Noam Chongsky, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2013
  4. Using soil.. Fox farm light warrior.

For the most part yes.. Should I not use peat pots??

5. #6 Noam Chongsky, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2013
    I'm not really "qualified" to give you a straight answer yes or no - in regards to peat pots - I've never used them.

I'd guess your over watering though - Allow everything to dry out before watering - just before the plants start to droop.

Are you feeding with anything?

consider this product -
    Google Image Result for http://www.growell.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/B/u/Bud-Rot-Stop.jpg

I've used it for a while and never had any problems - it can be used as a contact spray (sprayed onto plants) - It is a friendly soil bacteria that is harmless to plants and animals - yeasts, moulds and fungi have a hard time when this is about though.

Aseptic technique is vital part of growing indoors - keep everything as clean as possible - wash your hands before touching plants - remove fabrics and other materials that might be harbouring any nasties.

6. The Hydro shop I ordered stuff from gave me "Serenade Garden Disease Control" for free and he said to use it if I overwater and create root rot, or mold, or fungus. It says it's safe for organic growing and smells like the asshole of a dead rhinocerous so I assume it is some sort of algae or bacteria that feeds off those dangerous to plants.

7. Its similar to the rot stop stuff - smells awful but it doesn't carry through the drying/curing process.

8. I used the Serenade effectively to fight PM towards the end of my last grow cycle.

Apparently contains a vital bacteria to help fight the fight. Yes, sticks like vinegar be ready!

I used it to within about a week of chopping the plants. Only one batch, once curing in the jars, had a detectable aroma.

Lots of different products to choose from... Free is usually best! Good luck.

9. Peat pots suck. I've grown a few plants in them and I've done veggies in my garden with them too, ended up cutting them away and replanting. They stunted quite a few of my outdoor plants, with the limited season and all.

10. Thanks guys. I think it was a combo of two things.. I don't think It was over watering I think after watering I did not drain the runoff and I let the room too high on the humidity. I will repot and lower the humidity.

As always thank you all for your help!!

11. [quote name='"Not Sure"']Peat pots suck. I've grown a few plants in them and I've done veggies in my garden with them too, ended up cutting them away and replanting. They stunted quite a few of my outdoor plants, with the limited season and all.[/quote]

I have had the same problem using them on veggies and ornamentals. Luckily I learned that lesson before trying them with Mj.