Mold on fabric pot

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by thatguy1234, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Hi as the title says i found black mold on the bottom of the pot. Plant is still small. What do you guys recommend. Im having trouble putting pics sorry. I'll keep trying

Thanks

2. sorry for being upside down.

[​IMG]

3. #3 thatguy1234, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2016
    oh and i know the problem and its because i might of not put enough pumice as it also stays wet for a long time. Just want to know what the veterans recommend. Thanks

4. water less amount with such a small plant

5. you sure thats black mold and not algae?

6. thanks pomansouth01 and Scooby!

I think i might be watering too much you're right.

As far as i could tell it smells like mold also. Would algae smell the same?

Here's more info. 10 gal no till. With cover crop. Cannabis plant currently working on 5th node. About 5 inches tall.

What I'm thinking of doing is ordering some soil from bas and replant on another pot??? What is your thoughts?

Also if i do this what do i do to the soil recycle it.

Thanks

7. #7 waktoo, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    I would not transplant to a smaller container. If you're going to grow no-till, you need to learn how to water your plants correctly...

The very first thing I'd do would be to get the bottom of your pot/s raised away from the drainage tray. I like to keep several inches of airspace between the bottom of the pot and the drainage tray so that the soil is NEVER in contact with standing water from excess runoff. I like to use a series of PVC sections cut to the same length and set on end to support the pot. Cheap, durable, and effective...

Could you describe your watering technique/method? Like how you determine when to water, and how much you water at any particular time?

• Like Like x 1
  8. hey thank you Waktoo for that great response.

...and yes I need to water correctly lol.

My watering technique at first was like blue jays i believe. Water everyday but only about 1\\4 a gallon maybe half a gallon but I've stopped to about every 2 or 3 days since i saw that mold.

Also i did have a lot of run off just sitting in the tray where the smart pot sits. Like a SIP but headed towards failure lol.

I have two 10 gal and the other pot is way better in aeration i believe. That's why i think i didn't put enough pumice.

I will also add waktoo that if i did transplant it would be to another 10 gal. Not to a smaller one but if i don't have to the better of course.

Thanks
    thatguy

9. #9 thatguy1234, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2016
    I also forgot to mention that i touch the side of the pots to check how wet they are.
    Heres my garden
    [​IMG]
    The one on the right is the one with mold and its smaller because the left one is a week older.

• Like Like x 1
  10. so this is what i did guys. I placed two bricks then a grill grate that is taking up space and it raised it about 2in. Perfect.

[​IMG]

Ok so to fix i raised it. I should also water less. Especially this pot lol. Since its a no till what would you recommend to go the extra mile.

Some gypsum to lossen the soil? Any thoughts?

Thank you guys for such a great help [​IMG]

11. one thing i havent asked. Is this mold gonna go away eventually? The reason im concern is because i sleep in the room where my tent is at. I dont smell mold though. Smells good like good soil.[​IMG]

12. You just need to get you watering under control. You have small plants in big pots. There isn't enough root structure developed yet to warrant watering the whole pot, and certainly not to drain every time. Water enough around the "drip line" of the plant (outward reach of the largest leaves) to keep it alive, with maybe just a tad extra for your cover crop. Water more area of the pot as the plant increases in size, and water more deeply as well. You'll have to guess as to how far you want the water to penetrate down through the soil column...

Feeling for moisture on the outside of the pot is no indication as to how much moisture is left on the INSIDE of the pot, where the majority of the roots are. Nor is sticking your finger into the soil, especially in pots this big.

I'm not sure how much growing experience you have, but if you are used to using commercial bagged soils like OF or Roots, you must realize that the mixes made around here (including BJ's No-till mix) are much higher in organic matter content. This means that they will absorb and retain water for much longer periods of time, especially with younger plants with undeveloped root structures. Even with adequate aeration added to the mix...

You might want to consider investing in a moisture probe, or at the very least begin to employ the "lift and tilt" method to determine when your plants need water (other than letting them wilt, which might be a good idea once or twice so as to determine what a "light" pot feels like). Especially after watering, grab the top edge of your pots with one or two hands and tilt it up on its edge to feel how heavy it is. Don't water again until the pot feels light when you tip it up.

Perfect! Don't go adding anything to your pots until you get your watering under control...

How you gonna grill burgers now? LOL!

I think the biggest reason you have "mold" in the bottom of your pots is because they were sitting in standing runoff. It should disappear now that you've got some good air flow in between the bottom of the pot and the drain tray.

While the black forms of mold are generally not a good thing to see in any indoor environment, let's not forget that "mold" is just another form of fungi. Your soil is full of it. Get the soil moisture/root volume balance figured out, and you should have nothing to worry about...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks Waktoo for such a detailed feedback.

Well this is my first grow. I kept watering thinking this will keep the microbes alive. Lol.

I didn't water til runoff sir. Only that one time i misjudged the other pot. Nevertheless I was watering a lot as you mention.

I will lift the bag technique to get a feel of when to water.

Looks like gonna be no more bbqs for a while. LOL

Thanks Waktoo

14. Subbed!! I am NOT going to the similar problem with mold but definitely was ordering I had a system set up where I was watering every other day after day 14 however I have individuals telling me to let it dry up and then I have individual telling me that I should keep my soil moist which I have done my plans haven't shown deficiencies but I don't want to mess up especially since I'm doing a no till one giant pot auto grow with 6 different plants

Sent from my SM-N900P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. When you water do you see run off because I never see run off when I water so it's never sitting in water maybe that's the reason why I don't have mold however I just felt my soil today and it was moist not dry not wet or damp but moist

16. Hey goodgrace87

Im thatguy1234 just forgot my password so i made a new one

Anyways

I made a homemade wick sip thing to help me water the soil more evenly. Sure people here have had runoff from their notills but not much im sure, unless he or she is a newbie.

Youre taking advice from a newbie so take that into account. Just yesterday my plants were all droppy and weak leaves as well. I just got lazy and procrastinated to water LMAO!

If soil is not draining well like one of my pots then i will water less frequently. I did notice some mold came back on the same spot after having the sip up and running but im not that worried about it as i dont let it too moist. My plants look healthy so far.

Flower day 12 which was three days ago. Today is day15

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. My temps are in the same range as yours

18. I would worry about mold anywhere near the gals . specifically on your plants and on your bud sites. Black mold is no joke if you smoke it you risk your lungs expose to and potentially super harmful effects even death. I heard of someone having a whitefly ingested in a joint by mistake in the bud and he had to go to the emergency with a lung infection almost died

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. The only way to get rid of it is to fully clean everything it will not die out maybe a little shrinkage but still deadly, not worth it....

unless you transplant into a new pot with new soil and make sure there's not a spot of mold on your plants

20. Mold and black mold or usually odorless or musky smelling if it's getting crazy,

Keep everything clean and keep everything dry