Mold on curing buds

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by brownie9091, Jan 27, 2011.

1. I fucked it up lol man... So since my rh where I live is never higher then 15 percent I don't hang dry I dry them in jars and cure at the same time... My method works but I screwed up and forgot to take the lids off last night before he so they sat about 7 hrs in jars and when I jumped Out of bed after remembering what I did and ripped the lids off my jars smelled like mildew and there was little white specs showing up on a few buds.. I'm assuming it's mold so what do I do? Should I just turnit into hash? I have about 4 zips of northern lights so I would hate to... Is there anyway to fix it? Also if I haveto dry it Out completely can I still throw it back in jars afterwards for a cure? Also I heard about putting orange peels in ur jars to bring back moisture, is that true? Thx for the help guys

2. I don't suggest it, but having just got some mildewy bud, I cut off the mildew and smoked it. If I had more though I would have turned it into hash. The alcohol used in QWISO should kill any mold.

A buddy of mine used lettuce. A very small piece (like 1inx1in) made me have to redry the bud it worked so well.

3. Thx for the quick response man I think I'm gonna dry it tonight check it tomorrow and see what has mold on it then just qwiso that shit and salvage the rest I'm gonna Try lettuce in one and q little orange peel in another and see if it tastes any different or smell also +rep man thx

4. Tell him to try fan leaves next time. Why waste lettuce when you have fan leaves that go in the fire pit anyhow?

5. Well my leaves and stuff don't go to waste I use them for hash but by the time the mold occurred I was already harvested for 2 weeks so my fan leaves were long gone but thx man those would work to

6. Water cure the ones that are suspected to have mold

7. #7 Ibogaine306, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2011
    I guess this guy read the same thread I was before I saw this one. I will provide an argument for fairness sake.

I do not think that putting the mold into water is an effective way to kill it entirely. I have grown mushrooms before in the past, and i can tell you that my spore syringes were nothing more than good old H2O with the spores of ripened mushrooms floating around inside.

Now, I know you don't have mushrooms on your pot, but the fungus thats on there probably doesn't need mushrooms to reproduce. Lots of fungus just reproduce by tiny particles of mold that either get removed from the main colony and find purchase elsewhere.

Thus, imo, when you removed your bud from the water it could all be covered in microscopic particles of mold which can still grow. I think an alcohol extraction would be your best bet. QWISO hash and/or Green Dragon are excellent ideas.

You could even use the buds to make edibles.

I would then water-cure to remove the bulk of the mold.

Then you would toss buds that have broken up into small bits but not powdered into the microwave for 30 seconds per three grams. I stress to only turn the microwave on for thirty seconds to a minute at a time, then stir all the buds around and repeat. This will decarboxylate most of the inactive THC-A ( THC that has a side group on the molecule which ruins its effect) turning it into THC, thus increasing the potency of the bud.

Then you heat your fat ( Butter, Canola Oil, Coconut Oil, Duck fat, who-gives-a-flying-fuck fat... It's all good. Butter is actually the worst choice because its not a full fat.) to 290 farenheight. Err on the cool side. This heat will more than kill any mold spores or particles. Cook the buds until they are toasted brown. Don't be shy. You won't hurt the THC at that temperature, especially because its lubricated with fat.

Think of this as a first-person shooter video game with friendly fire turned off. You can destroy the weed and no matter what it won't hurt your friend THC.

By allowing the weed to toast, you have ensured that all of the THC has been extracted. Press the weed to extract all the oil because there will still be some in there. Usually you can just eat the weed but in your case you should throw it way.

I hope this helps:smoke:

Ibogaine306