Mold on a few buds, can I still use for BHO?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by datt420, Sep 22, 2013.

1. I harvested recently and there were some huge forearm sized buds. On a few I found some spots where there was some white fluffy mold, and one bud had half the end brown and dryish with the mold. I cut off all the affected areas completely and dried separately. I remember reading about this before and I'm pretty sure that they said it could still be used to make hash, but I wanted to make sure. It's probably close to 20g dry so I'd hate to throw it away. My harvest post is in bud shots if anyone wants to look, but I don't have and pics of the mold.

2. Dont use any mold in the actual runs.

If you carefully cut away the mold, I dont see why not. I grow outdoors and lose a LOT of my harvest to caterpillars, PM, and budrot. Rather than throwing it all out, while trimming I cut the mold out with another pair of scissors and throw these "cleaned" buds into a separate pile; I cut the mold out and then 2 clean nodes in either direction. Then I make QWISO out of em.

Yes, these 'cleaned' buds have a higher concentration of mold with respect to buds that never had mold. But if you are a healthy individual without lung complications, I don't see the harm.

3. I ended up making it, had a great yield, 2.3g of wax from 14g bud. This strain seems to turn to wax no matter what I do. We smoked some and it was fine, 24 hrs later and nobody's dead lol. I made the rest into a 2x strength batch of my BHO butterscotch brownies. Recipe in signature if anyone wants it.

4. If mold is ever present give your plant an h2o2 bath when you cut it. Hang to dry, cure and smoke as usual. "Way to grow" carries a pre mixed solution of h2o2, or you can mix 1 cup hydrogen peroxide to 10 gallons water and make your own. There are a bunch of YouTube videos on how to do it.

5. Yes, it's perfectly safe to make BHO with moldy weed... If you filter it through a 0.2um filter syringe. The filter will ensure no spores will be in the final product.

6. My BHO turns out shatter or wax every time, filtering isn't really an option

• Like Like x 1