molasses

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by pooky, Sep 27, 2009.

1. would you say that molasses is good for plants in the flowering stage. would it provide sufficent phosphorus?

2. The use of a Carbohydrate is always a big debate. I'm also searching for the answer with this and my conclusion is I need to do my own testing to determine what it really does in my environment with my genetics and growning technique.

In the mean time, this has been the best answer I can find thats 'hold water' for me....

"Liquid molasses, dry molasses powder, brown sugar, corn syrup - source of fast consuming sugars for feeding and breeding the aerobic bacteria in compost teas. Most microherd populations love the high carbon content in sugar products. Sugars are best dissolved and broken down by microbes in compost tea that has brewed at least 1-3 days, before applying to the soil. If too much sugar is added on soil straight as a topdressing, it may cause a temporary nitrogen deficiency in the soil as the microherd populations grow too fast. Molasses also contains sulfur which acts as a mild natural fungicide also. Molasses is also a great natural deodorizer for fishy teas. NOTE: Recent studies have shown that unsulfured molasses or dry molasses powder is best for faster aerobic microbial growth in tea brewing. For a more fungal tea don't add too much simple sugar or molasses to your aerobic teas. Use more complex sugars, starches and carbohydrates like in seaweed, rotten fruit, soy sauce, or other fungal foods."

3. thanks. i am in the flowering stage now and i am just using organic molasses and it seems to be doing great with just a few weeks to go.
    :D

4. go buy yourself some un sulfured molasses make sure it says unsulfured on the bottle if it doesn't dont buy it comman brands are blackstrap and brer rabbit i use the mild flavor brer rabbit it works great during flowering but it can be used through veg add one to two tbl spoons a gallon, some people might tell you that you cant overdose you girl on molasses but i dont find that to be true , so as you would treat it like a fert and dont over use it

5. got a question, can you buy molasses at a grocery store?

6. Wal-mart, picked up a bottle last night for like $3 or somethin. Grandmas Unsulfered Molasses. This questions been posted countless amounts of time, please quit taking up space in the city and start doing research.

7. Do not over do it with molasses! Most people use WAAAAY to much IMO.

Also the type of sugar that molasses is made out of has molecules that are too large to be used by the plant directly. It must be broken down first. Molasses has it's place but IMHO you are better off using a carbo-load product that contains sugars that are more broken down readily available. Molasses is good for feeding the soil biology and for making teas, but even still a VERY small amount should be used (like 1 ml per gallon.)