Molasses for Flowering?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Nectar, Feb 19, 2007.

1. So I've read a couple of threads and noticed that some people are using molasses or a molasses based product to boost their buds during flowering.

I was wondering how to do this, if I should use straight molasses or some other related product...and then how much?

I tried to look up a thread strictly on the subject, but I couldn't find any...but it may be because molasses is a word that people spell a thousand different ways

m-o-l-a-s-s-e-s

Any info?

Thanks.

2. in either this months high times mag or cannabis culture mag (i cant remember which) there is a whole article on this.dude uses a special kind of syrup but says regular molasses works. do like me and go to borders books or barnes and noble and sit on a bench and read the whole damn magazine

3. Thanks man, I'll check that out, in the meantime, if I don't get a chance to read those magazines at my local Borders, can someone else fill me in on what they know?!

4. Here is a pretty good article on BC Seeds about this technique.

http://www.bcseeds.com/flowering.htm

Sugar water may just do the same thing.

This came from the high times website... [http://www.hightimes.com/ht/grow/content.php?bid=447&aid=3]

Sugar is one of the main 'secret' ingredients in many fertilizers. I have a lot of experience with molasses, fructose and refined and raw sugar, but little experience with Kool-Aid. I've seen Kool-Aid used and haven't been impressed with the results. Plants will suck up all the sugar they can when it's applied to the soil at irrigation time.

We did an experiment about 10 years ago and found that buds swell about 20% when sugar is added to irrigation water during the last four weeks of flowering. The sugar could also be enhanced with other flavors, but the flavors don't always come through as a notable taste when the weed is smoked.

Determining the dose of sugar is very easy: Add enough to a container of room-temperature water so that the solution is saturated. This will be about one tablespoon per quart of water. Remember, roots can only absorb so much sugar. Over-applying sugar won't make buds swell any more, and it'll also attract ants and other curious critters. This is why some growers apply only one tablespoon per gallon of water. If plants take a lot of water because they're in a windy location outdoors, cut the dosage by as much as 90%. As you can see, you'll need to play with the dosage a little, depending upon the growing situation of each plant.

Good luck with your grow.

5. Here's the skinny

I just did an experiment using molasses 1 tsp/gal as recommended vs bananamana at recc doses (I think an oz/gal at peak).

2 plants got BM during end of flower flush, the other two got molasses.

I am just now seeing the results. The bananamana kicked butt!! There is a noticeable difference in taste and aroma (potency no!). It's not that molasses is bad, it's just that the bananamana was so much better.

Anyways, taste and smell are subjective but I was really stunned with the difference.