Molasses during flowering?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by OG_Grower, Apr 15, 2017.

1. I'm about 40 days into flowering, I have 3 plants in 3 gallon pots. I wanted to try Brer Rabbit Molasses in my feedings. how much would I have to use per gallon? Im planning on using it until I flush about 2 weeks before harvest.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. It's a great idea the whole grow no reason to really wait until bloom. Molasses functions by feeding soil microbes and helping them thrive. This increases the feed rate of the plant because the symbiotic soil organisms aid in nutrient uptake and processing. Not sure brer rabbit is a blackstrap variety. That's what you want. In hydroponics I use AN's budcandy to do the same thing. Molasses makes foam in hydro setups so it can only be used in soil.

I'm not sure on amounts you'll have an organic grower that uses it chime in shortly.

• Like Like x 2
  3. All of the above is correct! Good info!
    I use a teaspoon per gal

• Like Like x 2
  4. The molasses microbe feeding myth has been discredited. It was repudiated on this site on a no till thread by a guy who sounded like he knew what he was talking about, but old myths die hard.

5. Now I have to research this -.-

6. If you find it you will see my stock answer right out of the book, molasses feeds microbes. Then a helpful poster explained why even though that may be true the benefit is nil.

7. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1300/J064v14n02_04
    Influence of “Effective Microorganisms” (EM) on Vegetable Production and Carbon Mineralization–A Preliminary Investigation
    EM plus molasses increased the onion yield by 29% and the proportion of highest grade onions by 76%. EM plus molasses also increased pea yields by 31% and sweetcorn cob weights by 23%. A four week incubation at 30°C of loamy sand and 1% w/w pasture litter had treatments including a control, glucose, and EM plus glucose, and captured respired carbon (C) using NaOH traps. By the end of the incubation the glucose treatment had respired 38% more C than the control.

• Like Like x 3
  8. https://www.cabdirect.org/cabdirect/abstract/19512202464
    Moulds can synthesize protein from molasses and inorganic N and they may be of value in the future for the supply of essential amino-acids. Fat also is produced by moulds. The section dealing with this subject is a most useful selected digest of the literature available.

9. Recharge | Real Growers Inc
    We formulate with organic ingredients and are proud to offer a complete package including: Mycorrhizae, trichoderma, bacillus, molasses, humic, fulvic, and amino acids.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I guess you want the right grade. It's important.
    Bud Candy | Carbohydrate Enhancer | Advanced Nutrients

"For example, you see hydroponics formulas that contain “molasses.” But as with almost every individual ingredient in hydroponics formulas, there are many grades and types of molasses, and the differences between them decide whether they will deliver your bigger, better yields.

Fact is, most types of molasses are loaded with sulphur or made from materials or processes that lower their sugar content and quality.

When sulphured, low-grade molasses are in a hydroponics formula, its extraneous minerals throw off your nutrient ratios while providing smaller percentages of sugars."

11. I did link a study from the journal of agriculture.

12. Every major nutrient company makes a supplement based on carb loading the root zone to supplement microbes.

13. Mmm one of the best sources for info on specifically growing weed (if not the best). On top of all the links and studies Tbone posted versus your word without posting any studies or sources backing it up? I know which way I'm leaning.

14. Before you get your panties all in a wad, I never said there was no benefit to carbs or molasses. All I said is the idea that molasses feeds microbes and is therefore beneficial to your cannabis has been explained as a misunderstanding of the original test results. whew!

15. Molasses like coconut water is also full of complexed amino acids aka sugars and starches. Some argue that it isn't necessary because the plant will actually distribute sugars to feed the microbes. It actually creates the proper compound depending on what it needs. Roots are a 2 way road. I can see where @Talkative is coming from. I'm starting to realize almost all information is a matter of opinion.

16. You guys are talking way over my head but seems to me you are comparing two different things...
    I use bud candy but they have other stuff to add and feed beneficial microbes.
    I recently got this stuff to go along with the Voodoo Juice, Piranha and Tarantula.:
    Microbial Munch® | Root Zone Microbial Superfood | Advanced Nutrients

I have also heard molasses is only beneficial in organics since synthetics likely don't contain any bacteria... again, its over my head.

17. Yes i think some no tillers are heading in the direction of permaculture. I recently watched a tubecast of a guy who is pretty knowledgeable and my understanding is they want to move from the idea of manipulating microbial culture competitions. Let it happen naturally.

18. Voodoo juice is a bacterial supplement. I use botanicare hydroguard for my bacterial. Molds also process molasses. I have a scientific link on that a few posts up. Hydroponics are more similar to soil as far as microbes if you're supplementing. The same cultures are there. They dramatically increase root development amount other things.

• Like Like x 1