Molasses and Sweet - Flavor enhancer

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by rapidcharger, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Hey guys can anyone tell me the correct way to use these as a flavor enhancer?

Ive seen posts here and there about this topic none specifically on COCO.

So what should I use and how should I use it?

thanks

2. Wrong.

I do believe you're mis-interpreting this feed, a common mistake :). Sweet doesnt refer to actually enhancing the flavor of the bud, but instead it "sweetens" the soil. It's literally just molasses and carbohydrates, for the 500% the price of its ingredients! Molasses feeds the microbial herd in your soil, thus giving them more energy to work their magic. Stop feeding unsulphured black strap molasses at weeks 5-6.

Best of luck!

3. #3 colafarmer, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
    Harvesting when the plant has fully ripened and proper curing is the only way....;)

4. Good to know..

So whats the point of sweeting the soil?

5. Only value would be the carbohydrates...
    Used molasses and noticed no difference in flavor....Used botanicare raw and the smoke was better without....
    Score 1 for the hydro store....;)

6. To provide energy for the bacteria in your soil, molasses is natural form of sugar (Carbohydrates)

7. Ok gotcha guys. So would this be an addive? Rather than a fertlizer sort of thing? What i read before somewhere when i was flushing my last crop. Is if you flush with sweet or molasses its supposed to enhance the flavor. I know soil guys like to use it during their grow.

I wanted go see what the real truth of the matter is. Cause honestly it confused the hell out of me. I was always told that there really is no such thing as a falvor enhancer. That it was all cure. But reading people saying it makes it more "sweeter" made we wonder.

Nutes im using
    Maxbloom
    Epsom salt

Thanks guys

8. It is indeed an additive and not a ferilizer...the plant never actually intakes the molasses..its meant entirely for the soil...

I am a soil grower and I use it in coordination with my mycorizhal products, which I feed separate from my fertilizers...

There is no such thing as flavor enhancer...good genetics and at least a 4 week cure...

Pointless to flush your plants with molasses...

Epsom Salt: Are you feeding this because you're using RO water? I'd suggest using CalMag instead and use the epsom salt in a mix in your soil so the plant can intake it over time. Not something I'd "Feed" regularly, it can lockout micronutrients, in specific Iron...

Keep em comin, Im so stoned I wanna help in anyway I can, lol:smoke:

9. Wow ok so if its a carbohydrate. Would it be safe to think that it would fatten things up. Like if you were to eat a bunch of cheseburgers?

Im using epsom salt cause its cheap.. lol I do get iron def. on my lower leaves most of the time... its also hard to regulate vs calmag.. I think I still have some calmag ill try it next tank change.... Yes RO water im using.

So as a soil grower... Why is the flavor and the smell different between hydro vs soil?
    Is there something somebody can do to lean more one way or the other.
    I grew a strain that a buddy of mine grew. Mine in coco his in soil... His using a "hot mix" Mine using GH products.. His came out way way dankier off the tree.. Mine stunk. But his just more.. And I have always heard and read "soil will give you less yeild, but it will have a better taste"

10. This has no scientific basis, but its the fact that roots themselves are soaked in fertilizers constantly, instead of fertilizers being added to soil and the roots seeking it out. Theres no doubt that fertilizers do leave behind a distinct taste, I can tell when someones used Fox Farms, etc...

As far as yield, take a look at my thread...they look like they'll yield well :smoke:

11. #11 colafarmer, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2012
    Go for the molasses...It won't hurt a thing and you may become a convert....;)

As for adding the epsom salt... Maxibloom has a fair amount of /cal/mag already and adding more may be just as bad as not enough and lead to lockout of other secondary(iron,zink,cal etc) nutes.
    I would only add the epsom if your seeing a mag deficiency and at a rate of 1/8-1/4tsp per gallon tops.....

A hydro grow may have a distinctive taste but, it's ll good....:smoke:...It's all about having an optimal grow, flushing after the final swell and using water only till harvest then a proper dry/cure process.
    Shutting off the lights for the final 2-3+ days before harvest helps odor tremendously as the terpine level are at it's peak....
    Terpines are what determine the odor and I notice the odor best during flowering when the lights first come on (colder) so, only makes sense to shut the lights down before the harvest....;)

12. There are products on the market that can enhance the Turpin and resin development. I find sugar based products to leave a kind of homogenized flavor throughout all strains. The flavor is sweet, like smelling cotton candy, and what they really do are wash out the natural flavors of the plant.

Now, I am no scientist but I have used many products and I pay close attention to the results. With that being said... The two products I choose to use for their ability to maximize the genetic potential of a plants smell and taste are Cutting Edge Solutions Uncle John's Blend and Humboldt Nutrients FlavorFul.

UJB is OMRI certified (I am pretty sure it is at least) and it works exactly as advertised helping the plant manage stress and also enhancing the flavor and resin profile of a plant to its best potential. FlavorFul is a fulvic acid which assists in the uptake of nutrients and likely facilitates other biological functions that improve the final product.

Like you I also heard a lot of good stuff about sweeteners. After a few crops running a few different things (bud candy, sweet citrus, molasses) I found my variety of strains to actually have their natural flavor and potency to be masked by the sweetness of the smoke. I have no idea how adding sugars to the soil actually sweetens the taste of the buds... But the proof is in the pudding.

FlavorFul is super cheap and it can also replace your pH down. There is a lot of "value" in that product, especially because you don't need to use more than 5ml per gallon due to the concentration. The UJB is going to be about double the cost and used at about double the volume per gallon but for $20 a quart of the stuff can really make a difference in you final product. I think it is a good investment and I prefer to not grow without the stuff.

A study was done on one of these forums I frequent comparing molasses to CannaBoost Accelerator and the CannaBoost delivered better visual results with more trichomes and according to the author a better taste and high. I have used CannaBoost in the past and didn't dislike it but for $80 a liter... I expect more.

But $40 should get you a quart of UJB and a quart of Flavorful and a grande white mocha. Money that I consider well spent, simply because I don't like what the heavy carbo products leave behind even with their very modest prices. I'd rather spend $40 on something that will actually improve the final product than $4 on something that (IMHO) would ruin it.

13. [quote name='"colafarmer"']Go for the molasses...It won't hurt a thing and you may become a convert....;)

As for adding the epsom salt... Maxibloom has a fair amount of /cal/mag already and adding more may be just as bad as not enough and lead to lockout of other secondary(iron,zink,cal etc) nutes.
    I would only add the epsom if your seeing a mag deficiency and at a rate of 1/8-1/4tsp per gallon tops.....

A hydro grow may have a distinctive taste but, it's ll good....:smoke:...It's all about having an optimal grow, flushing after the final swell and using water only till harvest then a proper dry/cure process.
    Shutting off the lights for the final 2-3+ days before harvest helps odor tremendously as the terpine level are at it's peak....
    Terpines are what determine the odor and I notice the odor best during flowering when the lights first come on (colder) so, only makes sense to shut the lights down before the harvest....;)[/quote]

Good to know. I have tried the lights off method before harvest before and do recall that crop was stinkier. Could have been the strain too. But ill try that next time round. Im going to use calmag and see what happens. But i usually have to use alot of epsom salt. I get the cal def the 2 tone inner outer color. So ill have to add more sometines.

14. [quote name='"SCMC"']There are products on the market that can enhance the Turpin and resin development. I find sugar based products to leave a kind of homogenized flavor throughout all strains. The flavor is sweet, like smelling cotton candy, and what they really do are wash out the natural flavors of the plant.

Now, I am no scientist but I have used many products and I pay close attention to the results. With that being said... The two products I choose to use for their ability to maximize the genetic potential of a plants smell and taste are Cutting Edge Solutions Uncle John's Blend and Humboldt Nutrients FlavorFul.

UJB is OMRI certified (I am pretty sure it is at least) and it works exactly as advertised helping the plant manage stress and also enhancing the flavor and resin profile of a plant to its best potential. FlavorFul is a fulvic acid which assists in the uptake of nutrients and likely facilitates other biological functions that improve the final product.

Like you I also heard a lot of good stuff about sweeteners. After a few crops running a few different things (bud candy, sweet citrus, molasses) I found my variety of strains to actually have their natural flavor and potency to be masked by the sweetness of the smoke. I have no idea how adding sugars to the soil actually sweetens the taste of the buds... But the proof is in the pudding.

FlavorFul is super cheap and it can also replace your pH down. There is a lot of "value" in that product, especially because you don't need to use more than 5ml per gallon due to the concentration. The UJB is going to be about double the cost and used at about double the volume per gallon but for $20 a quart of the stuff can really make a difference in you final product. I think it is a good investment and I prefer to not grow without the stuff.

A study was done on one of these forums I frequent comparing molasses to CannaBoost Accelerator and the CannaBoost delivered better visual results with more trichomes and according to the author a better taste and high. I have used CannaBoost in the past and didn't dislike it but for $80 a liter... I expect more.

But $40 should get you a quart of UJB and a quart of Flavorful and a grande white mocha. Money that I consider well spent, simply because I don't like what the heavy carbo products leave behind even with their very modest prices. I'd rather spend $40 on something that will actually improve the final product than $4 on something that (IMHO) would ruin it.[/quote]

Good write bro. I will totally look into everything you wrote up the flavorfull and ujb look cool. Ill do some nosing around and see whats best. Thx bro

15. the "products" you are using seem fairly narrow in scope as you are only sampling products of the hydroponics industry. Not criticizing, just pointing out the obvious bias in your science.

sugars are simple carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are utilized during ATP prodcution and I would need to bring some middle school chemistry into this discussion to pin point exactly how, which I can't do :(. Any event. Molasses is preferred because the carbohydrates are more complex, the most complex types being found in the most syruppy type, unsulphured blackstrap. this type of molasses has one or two other benefits, I eat it in raw form and give to h2t dog. tasty business.

Still I doubt molasses is too crucial, your typical soil is loaded with carbohydrates in the form of plant matter (fertilizer meals) and I believe it is less frequently applied directly to soil than to aerated compost tea, a liquid microbian solution (not available at hydro store). complex carbohydrates do not break down as fast so are useful for growing stuff over the course of a day in aerated compost solution.

16. Since the unsulphured molasses topic was brought up here, thought I'd ask a question: When to start using in soil? When to stop? And the proper dosage? Thanks in advance!

17. IIRC start at ~1TBS..As with most additives, I dropped using molasses after dialing in my garden, and running side by side comparison(s)...That really did indeed help..Environment is king, that an genetics of course..
    I now stick to syrup(s) strictly for my pancakes..