Moisture Control MG - Outdoor plot prep

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Ucovinero, Jun 10, 2007.

1. So, I know everyone hates Miracle Grow but here in the South we're having a bit of a drought and would it be soooo bad to prep my holes that ive dug for my outdoor plants with Miracle Grow w/ Moisture Control? I mean really?

2. Use good organic soil and Soil Moist crystals instead if you can. Most garden stores or walmart/home depot carry them. Follow directions for your pot size and put them in a just of good water and wait about 30 minutes til they absorb all the water then add them to your soil mix. The crystals should be mostly at the bottom few inches of your pot where the roots are or will be later. Put a couple inches layer soil in bottom of pot then start adding crystals. Once your plant's root system outgrows the top half of the pot there's no sense in having the crystals up in the top area.

http://www.biconet.com/soil/hydrogel.html

3. he said he'd dug holes, hes not using pots...

anywho, ucovinero...the main reason we dont promote MG is b/c of the lack of control one has over the nutes due to those types of "ready to use" soils already having chemicals in them. Hence the "feeds up to three months!" - Most people (mainly new growers) freak out when their plant is showing defeciency for some reason the entire time its growing and especially during flowering. Not to mention there are reports of the smoke actually having a bad taste after curing the buds.

On the other hand I HAVE used MG in the past and had great succes but I think its mainly b/c for the first 3 months I did not use any nutes except for a little supplimental N. Also when using MG its best to mix in about 50/50 vermiculite to allow the soil to drain alot better than it already does. If your MG is soggy you WILL get nute burn...

so its a toss up honestly, some despise MG and some swear by it. Its up to you. just have a little faith and since youve already prepared your holes then you should try taking a little MG out and mixing in a good bit of vermiculite and maybe even the natural soil that came from the plot itself. Also in the future try obtaining some pro mixes, I use Fafard pro mix and its great - No nutes...No guess work. Its sterile...and can germ some of the best damn plants you've ever seen!

Also like the member above was saying, if its drought you're worried about then there are simple solutions. Shreding up diapers and mixing it in with your soild will accomplish the same thing as going to the nursery and buying those pellets he is talking about. Good luck!