Modernity

Discussion in 'General' started by Barack iBomb Ya, May 12, 2011.

1. Someone please explain a little more on what this really is..I have to write an essay on it. Its asking for..

In depth definition of Modernity
    Description of a problem it caused/ causes.
    global trends responsible for the problem
    potential solution(s) to the problem in modernity

I don't mean to get an essay free pass here, i just know you blades out there would have some crazy and insightful things to say about this shit.

Lets see some originality here, thanks.:hello:

2. #2 Jnug, May 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2011
    Well I've always thought of modernity as a GOOD thing - the rise of secularism, capitalism, and realism. I suppose you could make the argument that the rise of realism meant the rise of power politics on the international stage, away from the concert of European powers that included the holy Roman empire, France, and Spain because they were all Christian and the church held a lot of power over foreign affairs.

This system increased the power of the HRE though at the expense of France, and Cardinal Richelieu, minister of France wasn't happy about that, so he birthed the concept of Raison d'etre. Despite the fact the minister was Christian, he cared about expanding the power of France, even if it was at the expense of the church. The idea of a concert of Christian nations under one banner evaporated, setting up the bloody power politics of the 1800's and 1900's.

Bismarck, chancellor of Prussia and then Germany was an interesting fella who turned Raison d'etre into the German term Realpolitik - it's essentially the same thing, realism in international politics. Land = resources = power. Militarization and shrewd diplomacy led the way towards a strong, unified Germany. Militarization lead to World War 1, when the Austrian foreign minister Metternich's system of a concert of European powers based on CONSERVATIVE MONARCHY, that was established with the end of Napoleon collapsed. World War 1 as we know lead to lots of death.

Wait wtf were we talking about again? Anyways I have no clue if this is going to help in any way, but it may prove to be useful background information and a good starting point for modernity. I'm not sure I would base an argument against modernity off any of this, I don't believe in it myself but I have talked to people who took this position (that realism can be a problem). I'm a stern realist though, so yeah.

3. I guess it depends whether they are asking about modernity in the sense of provable things you can cite facts on. Or the era we actually live in which will have more abstract answers that can't be proven right or wrong.

For instance Arab Spring happening right now is fueled in a major part by Twitter, and social media sites. The ability for rather low level proletarians to communicate en masse and organize themselves, spread ideas, etc. That was Bill Gates dream to give power back to individual people, and the effects of which won't fully be understood for many years to come.

Or they might want a more typical paper of modernity. The fall of communism, rise of an interdependent global economy. The explosion in popularity of internal combustion engines and the rather instantaneous need for oil to fuel them that turned desert dwelling tribes into some of the richest people on earth within a century. Etc. The loss of slave labor and the need to industrialize 3rd world nations to replace them.

To me personally I feel that just within the last 15 years the rise of the internet is what true modernity is about. But I don't know how good of a grade you will get for focusing on that. Hind sight is 20/20 but when you are talking about current times its subject to their personal opinion. IOW they can fail you if they don't like what you say, because there is no right or wrong answer until history proves one of you correct.

I'm personally worried that just being able to google up the answer to any question on your cell phone will kill a lot of peoples ingenuity. In the past people were educated in a variety of subjects, and even if it didn't pertain to them it gave you a frame work for understanding the world around you. It would eventually all intertwine and help shape the process of how people think. Having understanding of the times you live in is key to being able to predict the future and guide the path it takes.

In the age of instant information there is no push to learn about so many subjects when if the situation comes up where you need to know an answer, you can pull out your phone and have it. It even begins to look like a waste of time to know things not directly applicable to you. But its singular. It leaves people like idiot savants. Incredibly knowledgeable about certain things, but completely ignorant of other things.

Its completely plausible that in the future we will have very smart people who don't know very basic facts, and thus have very little understanding of the world around them and what led to it. A rather childish existence, where we are impatient, and expect short black and white answers to complex and ambiguous questions.

There are some very interesting articles, and documentaries on the net about this sort of thing. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and many other visionary men have written powerful articles about the changing landscape of the world, and on a variety of subjects causing it.

"As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower others. I'm a great believer that any tool that enhances communication has profound effects in terms of how people can learn from each other, and how they can achieve the kind of freedoms that they're interested in." - Bill Gates

Is Google Making Us Stupid? - Magazine - The Atlantic

The Internet Tidal Wave

Get high and watch these. They should give you ideas and talking points.

Growing Up Online | FRONTLINE | PBS Video

Digital Nation | FRONTLINE | PBS Video