mn_northernherb's first grow

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by MN_northernherb, Sep 23, 2010.

1. alright thats good to hear. there really isnt anything i can do about it unless i can manipulate the weather, so i jsut have to go with it. and they look really good.... the pistils jsut havent started receding into the buds:eek:

2. #42 MN_northernherb, Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2010
    alright, so i'm looking at the extended forecast and although the days are getting colder(around 55 in the furthest forecasted days), the nights seem to be holding steady around 40(for the farthest forecasted days). my plan was to give the last feeding tomarrow or saturday. but, if its looking like they might be able to get an extra week in before its freezing at night what should i do?

should i stop feeding on the 15/16th and if the weather goes for an extra week their just super flushed? (but starved for an extra week in the peak of flowering)

or

should i risk it and maybe feed one more time on the 20th?

**and thank you for moving this thread**

3. hey quick question, when did you start growing your buds? i'm thinking about starting up an outdoor grow for next season, just wanted to know as a reference

4. april/may, i dont remeber exactly, but it was pretty early.

and "blazen chilli" posted this for me in another thread i had:

"found some interesting info today:

Ed Rosenthal's Grow Tips

Maintaining Optimum Grow Room Temperature
    Marijuana plants are very hardy and survive over a wide range of temperatures. They can withstand extremely hot weather - up to 120 degrees - as long as they have adequate supplies of water. Cannabis seedlings regularly survive light frost at the beginning of the season.

Both excessively high and low temperatures can slow marijuana's rate of metabolism and growth. The plants function best in moderate temperatures - between 60 and 85 degrees. As more light is made available, the ideal temperature for normal plant growth increases. In high temperature and moderate light conditions, the plant's stems elongate. Strong light and low temperature conditions will decrease stem elongation. During periods of low light, sem elongation can be decreased by lowering the temperature.

Temperatures below 50 degrees slow growth in most varieties of marijuana. When the temperature drops below 40 degrees, the plants may experience some damage and require about 24 hours to resume growth. Low nighttime temperatures may delay or prevent bud maturation. Some equatorial varieties stop growth after a few 40 degree nights.

Marijuana is low-temperature tolerant. Outdoors, seedlings sometimes pierce snow cover, and older plants can withstand short, light frosts. Statistically, more males develop in cold temperatures. Low temperatures, however, slow down the rate of plant metabolism. Cold floors can lower the temperature in containers, thereby lowering root temperature and slowing germination and plant growth. Ideally, the medium temperature should be 70 degrees."

so basicly if its less than 40 degrees for multiple nights, the plant isnt even really growing...so ill probably just chop on nov. 1st since its already almost 40 at night...

5. well i went out and visited them yesterday and plant 2 had atleast one spot of pm on every branch on the lower half of the plant..... i started trying to rub all the leaves with serenade and a cloth but after i while i realized that i jsut had to accept it. there was too much. i cut it down.... its pretty pathetic. there might be an oz total off the entire 7 ft plant. i think the problem was that it is near water, and now that the sun is lower in the sky it doesnt get sun right away in hte morning. because the the other plant gets sun right away in the morning and it doesnt have p.m. (yet).

as far as i am concerned, plant 2 was a total loss/waste. i dont even think the buds will be worth smoking. but, i've decided to go through the whole manicure,hang, cure routine so that when i do my indoor this winter i will have experience and know what to do and expect. i jsut have to remember that i intended this to be a learning experience and being able to see the plant's growth stages will help me alot when i do my first indoor this winter.

plant one will come down in about 2 weeks when its too cold. i dont expect it to be much better.

6. Damn guy. Sorry about your loss. Our minnesota climate is a BITCH.

7. #47 MN_northernherb, Oct 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2010
    ya definitely, but it was really jsut that sativas cant finish outdoors here. but there was nothing i could do, bag seeds are a gamble. i'm gonna do an indoor over the winter. hopefully that will go better.

8. You got something going for you, don't get down on yourself my man. 100 yards away from a parking lot?! And no one sees/smells anything?

9. theres a big ass fence, and it is a back parking lot. and the girls havent/didnt get far enough along to stink bad...

but the indoor is gonna work out. i'm gonna make it work out.

10. oh man that sucks, i do know what you are feeling right now. i have also lost whole plants over the years do to mold.

what are you going to do for your indoor ? i have some BCbigbud in the flowering room right now they are about two weeks into flower. now that all my OD is done. i also started 5 clones today.

11. #51 MN_northernherb, Oct 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2010
    well, i have 2 months to plan, but heres what i'm thinking:

cali connect chem valley kush & tga subcool vortex (both already purchased) grown in coco as par mr. ed's coco guidelines (from coco growing section) and then i'm jsut trying to decide on lighting.

i'm thinking about doing 4 plants under a 400w t5 with supplemental cfl lighting in a closet inside a grow tent. i want to do hps but i have 2 issues, the closet is long and narrow rather than square, if i go with 1 400w hps + sup. cfls the plants on the end will be stretching to get to the light. and heat would be a pretty serious issue. i intend to run a good centrifugal fan (connected to a carbon scrubber) but idk if that would take care of the heat. there will be three of us living together and smoking off 4 plants. but i dont think more than 4 plants would be legit in a condo, and if they produce 2 oz a piece(8 total) every 3ish months i shouldnt have to buy pot (or at least not nearly as much).

i could get a square tent and run a hps but i will need to talk with the others and see if they are ok with having a big black tent in our room or living area. and thats not very stealth lol.

i obviously still have alot of planning to do. but i'm pretty excited for the beans, thcf forum talks pretty highly of cali connect gear, and vortex won the medical cup this year in cali(subcool is pretty well reguarded too). if i can grow them properly they should be some good smoke.

this grow is gonna work out, and these ladies are going to get to finish for sure, no more harsh minnesota weather bullshit lol.

what grow method do you use for your indoor? originally i was going to do a dwc run, but after looking at coco i think i'm sold. its seems like the best of both worlds, better taste than dwc, faster growing than soil, easy to flush, good ph buffering, less likely to get bugs than soil, easy cloning and you cant over water.

12. sorry to hear about your trouble but with a attitude like that your shore to find success good luck

13. hey buddy - i as well feel for u. i am pulllin for ya on that indoor gro. as u ill find out i am as well in the same situation. I got ripped, and am currently germing my indoors. i never had indoors either, like you, so hopefullly we can both have some success..What kind of setup u using? We r going with CFL's for now for the price of them. At least we both got some seeds from this summer to use in the winter on the plus side. Goodluck bro

14. my indoor is going to be as balls to the wall as i can. i'm working with about a 900 dollar budget (minus the cost for seeds cause i already bought them). i'm planning to go with a 600w hps for 4 plants in coco. i'm in the process of hashing out my plan. once i finish it i'm gonna post it and ask for reviews and advice, and when i do ill message you and you can use my links if there is something i found that you want.