mn_northernherb's first grow

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by MN_northernherb, Sep 23, 2010.

1. predicted to get down to 36 tonight, i'm gonna go out and cover them but i hope my girls can handle it.... it suppose to climb back into the 40s for lows after tonight but this cold has come fast, making it to the end of october is gonna be tough. i may be shit out of luck....

2. i think were gonna get atleast 3 more weeks

3. Those look good, hopefully u get good luck and the cool north weather will hold off a bit this year!

4. god i hope so, i'm looking at my pictures and then at other peoples pictures and just thinking shiiiittt. mine are way behind. they started flowering the last week of august and alot of people's plant started flowering the last week of september. people are harvesting or 1 week away and mine look maybe half way done, and nowhere near as frosty. but its a first grow, i need to chill. learning experience.

and thanks gre, im crossing my fingers

more pictures tomarrow

5. #26 MN_northernherb, Oct 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2010
    i am a complete fucking idiot. a complete fucking idiot. how could i be so fucking stupid? i went out to cover my plants tonight and i get there and i notice something, fuck its pretty bright.

self facepalm

[​IMG]

i'm so fucking stupid. no fucking wonder my plants started flowering so late, there are parkinglot lights about 100 yards away that are bright as fuck. what the fuck was i thinking? i spent all summer caring for these plants and if i would have done a little more spot research i would probably have 2x better plants. i really cannot believe how stupid i was.

so it all makes sense now. the plants started late and have matured slowly because my spot has a light leak. here is what i'm thinking though, the plants are in a valley and the light goes over the plants and there are some trees in the way i'll illistrate:

light diagram.png

the light that actually reaches the plant seems like it is about the light that would come off a full moon or maybe a little lighter, but it would be like a full moon for the plants every night and its artificial light so its the bad spectrum. i cant believe i could have been so stupid. i hope their gonna be ok and develop still. i assume there will be a reduction in potency and yield but w/e i guess, the plants are in the ground so its not like i can move them away from the light and i cant move the lights and a light barrier would be too noticeable. i just have to suck it up and hope for the best. a first grow is a learning experience, jsut have to keep telling myself that. and i also must remember that there is always next year.

also, is it ok to use cedar mulch around the bottom of the plants as insulation against the cold?

6. there is no way for me to tellhow strong the light is, but unless it is right overhead or you know like within 50 feet or something i think u will be fine. my guerilla grow sometimes i go over there and if its cloudy i need a flashlight. sometimes i dont need a flashlight if there isno clouds because the moon is light enough. and there is a house whose front porch light is roughly a really long baseball throw away. that may explain the flowering late, but when did they start? I felt mine started flowering too late but some plants just do that, cuz they turning out fine
    edit -typo

7. #28 MN_northernherb, Oct 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2010
    well they started the last week of august. and i went out there today and checked on them and they are small buds (plant 2's are about the size of quarters and plant 1's(1 week behind) are about the size of nickels), but they are actually starting to get frosty. the lower calyxes on the buds of plant 2 look pretty good, and i can see the bracts and upper calyxes starting to do the same. plant one is a little less frosty (but its a week behind plant 2) but the buds are freakin purple! their so dark they almost look black. idk if thats a good thing but it looks freakin cool:cool:. they also smelled like coffee today, idk what that was about.... last night when i was out there they smelled more skunky. maybe my nose is crazy lol.

both the plants actually look pretty healthy. i jsut hope the buds get bigger now and the weather holds out. at this point even if i have to harvest early i will get something smokable:hello: (assuming i dont get ripped).

update:

plant 1

10032010206.jpg

10032010207.jpg

10032010208.jpg

10032010209.jpg

10032010211.jpg

10032010212.jpg

10032010213.jpg

10032010223.jpg

10032010214.jpg

looks a little droopy, idk why. it was cold last but i think it will be fine, i gave it nutrients today.

also, if a mod sees this, maybe this should be moved to outdoor grow journals now that i'm updating it pretty regualrly. my bad.

8. plant 2:

10032010215.jpg

10032010216.jpg

10032010217.jpg

10032010218.jpg

10032010219.jpg

10032010220.jpg

10032010221.jpg

its been quite an exciting journey so far. i hope i get to reap the rewards of my hard work and i hope it turns out decent.

also, i put some cedar mulch around the base of the plants to help "insulate" agaisnt the cold. was this a good idea? it wont cause a ph problem or something will it?

thanks for the advice/attention everyone.

9. Hey man- for only being 4-5 weeksold your plants are a great size!! Much better than mine at that point actually. the buds will get bigger and frostier so the fun part is starting now.
    that purple color is completely normal and i agree itlooks kind of cool. u will probably have something smokeablein 4 weeks for sure. nice job

10. thanks man, i think the pruple on plant one might actually be stress induced, its been a finicky plant the whole grow and i'm sure the cold temps at night are agitating it. none the less, it'll be fun to have purple buds to smoke that i grew:hello:. i've been watching your grow too gre and your plants looks stellar. plant 2 has to be my favorite from your pictures, purple calyxes, sativa structure and frosty:). when are those ladies coming down? i wanna hear a smoke report:bongin: how many weeks are they?

11. thanks bro . i think they roughly 6.5-7 weeks in flowering. forgot to write down the date. Some of mine are purple due to colder temps as well but i been told the purple doesnt really affect them.
    the bad thing about my smoke reports is they are bagseeds so strain is unknown! im ok with it but just would be nice to know. depending on weather i will cut some down in about a week or 10 days.goodluck to u too bro
    hey r u from north minnesota cuz if u r i been canoeing there sometimes and it is beautiful lakes man

12. mine are bagseeds aswell, its jsut nice to hear how the buds are that people have grown themselves, gives me hope. and i'm not from northern mn but i vacation up there occasionally to camp and visit a friends cabin. its definitely beautiful up there. i hope i can retire or have a cabin up there someday... we'll see if i can get a job after college.

for now, grow trees, smoke green and do home work lol.

13. ha ha agreed that it is beautiful. im doing the same as well freakin gro trees smoke green and homework but i rarely do the last one..goodluck bra and i cant wait to be able to rite a smoke report for ya if u kno what i mean!

14. well i went out there today and it was bitter sweet. plant 2 looks fantastic, the buds are a little bigger, some are starting to look like they may grow together and form larger buds:hello:, the cola is starting to look like it could become a cola rather than a couple of buds on alternating internodes. some of the buds are also starting to get frosty, much much more so than last time i checked. i think this may be a decent smoke by november

10072010227.jpg

10072010229.jpg

plant 1 is not doing as well.... it just doesnt seem to be moving along as nicely as plant 2. some of the leaves are drooping while curling upward and i'm not sure why. i dont think its over watering, they are getting 2 gallons every 4-5 days now, and i guess they could be wilting from underwatering but its not particularly hot out (highs of 70 on good days) and i put cedar mulch around the bottom of the plants so that should help retain moisture(and insulate against cold). :confused: **the bottom leaves are yellowing a bit too which is probably from lack of nitrogen or jsut the life cycle but i'm not gonna do anything about it cause they are probably gonna have to be cut in 3 weeks anyway...**

the buds are pretty small still too. they look about as frosty as plant 2 did last week (which makes sense because it is a week behind) but they are smaller than plant 2's buds were last week and dont seem to be growing as fast. the buds are about the size of nickels (and think about when they dry!) and it really doesnt have a cola. this plant might only end up giving me hash if i have to cut it in 3 weeks...

10072010224.jpg

10072010225.jpg

but what can you do.... just gotta ride it out and hope for the best.

15. #36 MN_northernherb, Oct 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2010
    i went out there today and they look really good. its a shame they wont have enough time to finish. from this point they have about 2 and a half weeks before it is too cold, and thats a generous estimate. ill try to get a better camera next time for some good close ups, they are actually pretty frosty, but unripe fruit is unripe fruit regardless...

plant 1:
    the purple has gone away now that it has been warm, its one week behind plant 2. (pics at 6ish weeks, 2ish weeks from when i have to chop)

10122010230.jpg

10122010231.jpg

10122010232.jpg

10122010234.jpg

10122010237.jpg

10122010238.jpg

16. #37 MN_northernherb, Oct 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2010
    plant 2: looks super good, there might actually be a full cola on this plant by chop, this is the plant i have high hopes for, its one week ahead so it might be pretty good by chop. (picks at 7ish weeks, 2ish weeks from when i have to chop)

10122010239.jpg

10122010240.jpg

10122010242.jpg

10122010243.jpg

10122010244.jpg

10122010245.jpg

10122010246.jpg

*****judging by the progression of the pics in this thread, how many weeks do you think these girls wanted to go?

17. wait a bit more man,

chopping to early is never good

18. #39 MN_northernherb, Oct 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2010
    i'm gonna let them go as long as i can, but i live in minnesota, i think i can get 2 more weeks before it starts to be 32 degrees at night for more than a day here and there. and their is nothing i can do about it, such is the risk of growing bagseeds outdoors. it makes me sad:( if they could go till they were ripe i bet it would be some pretty good smoke...

any guesses on how long they want to go from the pic progression?

anyone ever smoked a sativa pulled at 9 weeks? what can i expect?

19. mine were around 9 when i pulled and its really good bud still