Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

MMJ to treat PTSD?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by xmaspoo, Feb 19, 2009.

1. I met an Iraq War veteran last semester at university who was diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder. He claims (and I've seen) that marijuana calms him down and helps him in being able to talk more openly about his experiences as a soldier, keeps him from having scary flashbacks, helps him socialize better, etc. He says that the pills issued to him by VA do not help him in any way, and generally make him more depressed about the things he experienced during his service.

I was just wondering if this was a common thing, because I have never heard of MMJ being used to treat PTSD. I think it would be great to have PTSD treatment added to the list of ailments that MMJ can help alleviate. I was just wondering if there might have been any studies concerning mmj and ptsd out there somewhere.

Please share some personal stories as well if you have any.

2. #2 norcalstoner, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Yes, PTSD isn't just from war and the like.

Imagine someone having to "pull the plug" on a loved one. Having to sit there and watch as that happens....

Anyways, yes MMJ can help PTSD.

I'll fill in for Granny since she can't be here right now :) by linking to studies from her list:

3. I just saw some legislation the other day to expand the qualifying conditions in a State (maybe it was oregon?) and PTSD was included in the conditions they were looking to add.

4. Thank you, Norcal! I appreciate the help!

And way back when I was a young hippie, I saw how well it worked on the Viet Nam vets. One dude said it made his "life livable, not great, but livable".

Granny :wave:

5. MMJ helps PTSD in several ways:
    1. Reduces the nightmares and aids in getting to sleep and staying asleep.
    2. It reduces anxiety
    3. It helps someone with PTSD to relax - they are tense and watchful mostly -MMJ mellows them out.
    4. It helps PTSD sufferers, who had turned to alchohol or other strongg drugs, to detox and stop the old habit - replacement with MMJ is a "gate way" back to a more normal life.

clinton

6. I am an Iraq veteran and I have been diagnosed with PTSD. The thing about that is I didn't even know I had it, and I did at least since I got out of the Marines which was over three years ago. Before I went to Iraq, I was a fairly well adjusted person. At least as well as a 20 year old could be. I was able to sleep, communicate properly, deal with dumbasses, etc, well. I never freaked out about anything and I never got too down on myself either. Since I got out however, things changed completely. Everything seemed to be a struggle. I used to love playing bass, poker, video games, all that stuff. Not anymore. I lost interest in just about everything. I would get extremely pissed at the slightest provacation. Some things happened which I'd normally be able to discuss and work out with a conversation. I couldn't seem to do it. I had to leave that state and move to Oregon. Despite the anxiety, depression, and anger issues, I'd say the way PTSD effects me the most is the sleep. Or lack thereof. Which is strange because I maintain a relatively normal sleep schedule, but when I wake up is when I notice it. I'd have these hideous bags under my eyes. I don't know how many goddamn people have said to me "Did you get punched in the face?" as a serious question, they weren't joking. Apparently what happens is I'm having nightmares when I'm sleeping and I don't remember them when I wake up. Which would explain why I'd have the sheets on one side of the bed and the blanket on the other. Or they'd be on the floor entirely. So my eyes are closed but i'm not really sleeping. I've heard that these nightmares could also involve "calling out", which I'm afraid to even ask my roommate about because I probably don't want to know the answer. She has been acting strange lately, which is yet another way PTSD effects me, with family relationships (my roommate is my sister) and relationships in general. I'll get to that later. Once I do get out of bed, I have no energy whatsoever. I just feel drained from the moment I get out of bed. Great isn't it? Now this isn't EVERY day but I would say at least 4 out of every 7 days. So imagine trying to find a job with ugly bags under your eyes, no energy at all, and depending on the day, dealing with anxiety, or being depressed or angry for no apparent reason. And the economy is a giant turd right now. Relationships, where should I start. With family this is supremely difficult to even talk about. With relationships, let's just say if a woman came in to my house right now, found out I had PTSD, then turned around and walked out of the house never to say another word to me, that wouldn't be the first time that's happened.
    So how does marijuana help with all of this? The above paragraph just scratches the surface of this complicated disorder. First thing, I CAN ACTUALLY HAVE A GOOD NIGHTS SLEEP. I'll smoke, an hour or two before I go to bed, and I sleep like a baby and wake up feeling refreshed. No bags under my eyes either. If I'm feeling angry about something, or nothing sometimes, I'll smoke and it kills it right then and there. When I smoke I feel much more sociable, just overall in a much better mood. I feel like I can, and will, strike up a conversation with anybody. It's almost as if I feel like my old self. I'm not overstating. I really do. Unfotunately for me, my sister does not smoke. Which is perfectly OK. It's not for everyone and whether you choose to do so or not is your choice as an adult. But not only does she not smoke, she is VEHEMENTLY against it. I have no idea why. So, I hear that PTSD may be added to the list of conditions for the medical marijuana program here in Oregon. I really hope it passes. Especially since Obama, at least for now, has stopped DEA raids on dispensaries in California. I'm somewhat confused by that. Does that mean that all DEA raids of any kind, regardless of state, are stopped? Is this temporary or permanent? But this would be something I would seriously consider considering how much this plant helps, versus what drug company created product is prescribed by the VA. I guess time will tell.

7. First, thank you for your service to our country.

The DEA's position on MMJ hasn't really changed that much quite yet. However, President Obama and Attorney General Holder have effectively halted all DEA raids on MMJ dispensaries for the time being. Is it permanent? That remains to be seen, if Obama isn't re-elected in 2012, the new President could easily reverse the directive. Hopefully by then the laws will be a bit more codified and the Federal stance on MJ being Schedule 1 will be changed.