Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

MMJ for Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Dimorpha, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Hey GC, I've been searching the forums (to no avail) and Googling the best I can about using MJ for Fibromyalgia, a painful syndome that has unknown causes, no known cure, and was long thought until recent years to be fake, or psychosomatic. I don't have it, but I'm interested to know if anyone one on the GC forums has been diagnosed, suspects they have it, or if they know anyone who does, and uses cannabis to self medicate or if they have been prescribed. Is it helpful? Rehabilitating? (well, of course it is:D) How does it compare or contrast to conventional meds? Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Here's a couple links, too:

Fibromyalgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the wiki briefly mentions "controversial cannabinoid research"

Cannabis Sativa (Marijuana) for Fibromyalgia

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4xrouYkHO8]YouTube - Medical Marijuana helps Fibromyalgia[/ame]
    very non-biased interview

Hails, cheers, and of course, happy tokin'.

2. #2 tharedhead, Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2009
    The synthetics have already been proven effective in reducing fibro pain, so I assume the actual plant would, as always, work better:

Medical News: Marijuana Derivative Called Effective in Fibromyalgia - in Rheumatology, Fibromyalgia from MedPage Today

Many Fibro sufferers are already using Cesamet off label, despite the mind bogglingly high cost. If people are willing to pay $20 a pill to get some relief, the drug must be more effective than their previous treatment.

Other Fibro treatments can have significant side effects in some individuals. I've tried several of the drugs often prescribed for fibro for my neuropathy, with at least one near death experience (Lyrica caused pitting edema and a dangerious increase in blood pressure, resulting in a two day hospital stay). YMMV

3. Some studies from "Granny Storm Crow's list" (linked below)

Delta-9-THC based monotherapy in fibromyalgia patients
    Delta-9-THC based monotherapy in Fibromyalgia patients on experimentally induced pain, axon reflex flare, and pain relief.

Clinical Endocannabinoid Deficiency
    http://www.freedomtoexhale.com/clinical.pdf

THC Reduces Pain in Fibromyalgia Patients
    Illinois NORML - THC Reduces Pain in Fibromyalgia Patients

Fibromyalgia: Effective Treatment with Medical Marijuana
    Fibromyalgia: Effective Treatment with Medical Marijuana - Salem-News.Com

Cannabis Science: Nabilone reduced chronic pain caused by fibromyalgia
    http://bbsnews.net/article.php/20071111150357312

Fibromyalgia and Medical Marijuana
    Can Medical Marijuana Help Relieve Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?

Nabilone for the treatment of pain in fibromyalgia.
    Nabilone for the treatment of pain in fibromyalgia. [J Pain. 2008] - PubMed Result

Marijuana Ingredient May Cut Fibromyalgia Pain
    Marijuana Ingredient May Cut Fibromyalgia Pain

Can CECD Explain Therapeutic Benefits of Cannabis in FM, IBS and Treatment-Resistant Conditions?
    Can CECD Explain Therapeutic Benefits of Cannabis in FM, IBS and Treatment-Resistant Conditions?

Synthetic Cannabis for Fibromyalgia Pain?
    Chronic Pain - Synthetic Cannabis for Fibromyalgia Pain?