Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

MMJ a good fix for BiPolar disorder?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by BiiGxT, Aug 6, 2012.

1. First off, I read the stickied thread of what was expected, but most of the states only have a couple symptoms.. Now, I have Bipolar, and I take 1 1/2 pills of lithium each night, and when I don't take them, I got berserk over the dumbest things. And when I am on weed, the exact things that bother me, I don't mind, and sometimes I do myself. I know this is a cure, but is it good enough reason to give me a medical card in DC?

2. #2 SheenTheSage, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2012
    Perhaps, but you'd have to petition to amend the list of qualifying conditions.

Quoting the law,

It would seem, in theory, that one must only prove scientifically that marijuana helps the condition where other drugs do not. Yet, in practice, making such changes to the law take a long time and I think you're better off finding another excuse...erm, condition to justify your use. Arthritis or any form of joint or tissue damage usually suffices. Plus, to the best of my knowledge, there are no peer-reviewed studies disproving that marijuana does not help with bipolar. In other words, we can't say with confidence that marijuana is more helpful than harmful for bipolar patients. If you try using it during a manic episode, instead of just a depressive one, you might see what I'm saying.

You could also just have chronic depression, which was misdiagnosed as bipolar disorder, in which case, DC authorities will recommend you choose SSRIs or related medicines over marijuana. On the off chance that you do in fact have bipolar, I recommend you keep with the lithium, whether or not you decide to quit the weed...since stopping lithium abruptly (as opposed to tapering) in bipolar patients might augment and worsen mood cycling. Oregon advocates petitioned unsuccessfully to get depression/anxiety added as a qualifying condition. Arizona is making a similar attempt. Maybe they will make another go still, but their initial failure may be a bad omen. Sorry, but you'll have to dig deeper. ;P

3. I have been on Prozac, Celexa, Zoloft, and Wellbutrin over the coarse of 15 years with no results. When you don't respond to AD's they lean toward bipolar. I just got diagnosed as BP 2. I am on a mood stabilizer called Lamictal. I am on 50 mg. now. Every week it doubles until you feel better or normal. Before lamictal smoking weed after work made my head race and I couldn't stop thinking about shit at work that upsets me. I get pure sativa the cerebrial heady buzz. Not pleasant. I wish I could find some indica for a slowed down body buzz to relax and help me sleep. The only time I enjoy weed is when I drink alcohol which is not recommended because it is a depressant and it could amplify the side effects of your meds. I am a very experienced drinker and know when my body says enough. I also have a very high tolerance naturally. Weed is also a depressant. It shouldn't have any dangerous physically but if you get high enough you could have an unpleasant experience. I hope after my lamictal kicks in an hopefully works I might be able to enjoy sativa with out drinking on work nights just not to late because it wakes me up. Don't worry about being bipolar, you are heading in the right direction by getting help. You can lead a normal life just find the right doctor and the right meds. Ask him Lamictal and google it and read the user reviews. I am not a doctor. Good luck and let us know how you do. You are not alone and you probably know someone that is BP, we are everywhere. Three people just in my department at work out of ten. You sound like a smart guy so you'll be fine